Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Bridgestone vs. Goodyear, how do they compare?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Bridgestone vs. Goodyear, how do they compare?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
skipsor

Thousand Oaks, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/09 10:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm now at the point where a decision has to be made about tires. I wanted to replace my Michelins with more of the same but the three tire shops I tried today all came up with 2008 dated tires. If I'm going to spend a lot of money on tires I don't want to start with one year already gone.

The two options open are Bridgestone and Goodyear. Does anyone have any experience with the Bridgestone RV tires? The Goodyears seem to get good reviews here but I can't recall seeing anything about Bridgestone.

These tires will be going on a 2004 Winnebago Brave and I'm looking at 245/70R's on 19.5 rims. Any help will be appreciated.

bldrbuck

one or the other

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/09 11:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Both companies built good tires. I would also consider Goodyear and Cooper.

LVJ58

Las Vegas, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/09 12:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My preference is for Bridgestones as over the years we've enjoyed dependable trouble free service from them. If you compare tread depth between the Bridgestone, Goodyear and Michelin tires you will find Bridgestone has a deeper tread depth than the other brands.

Good luck with your choice of replacement tires

Jim & Sherry Seward
Las Vegas, NV
2000 Residency 3790 V-10 w/tags & Banks System
2003 Suzuki XL/7 toad

Bruce Brown

Northern NY

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/09 04:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Both are known as an excellent choice. I'd be comfortable with either.

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Don Don

Pleasant Grove, AL {Suburb of Birmingham}

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/09 04:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LVJ58 wrote:

My preference is for Bridgestones as over the years we've enjoyed dependable trouble free service from them. If you compare tread depth between the Bridgestone, Goodyear and Michelin tires you will find Bridgestone has a deeper tread depth than the other brands.

Good luck with your choice of replacement tires

As much as that may be true, I don't think tread wear or not enough tread becomes and issue with too many RV coaches. I think they both make an excellent tire.

zmotorsports

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/09 06:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have run all three (Bridgestone, Michelin and Goodyear) and have had good luck with all. There is a minor difference in tread depth but only about one to two thirty seconds of an inch, not enough to make much of a difference. Pretty much all of them have some sort of ozone repelling treatment in the casings which helps them hold up against the UV punishment although Goodyear is the only one that is advertising it (just a marketing tactic). I just purchased Goodyear G670's in March for our Dynasty and they have a manufacturing date of 4908 which is the 49th week of 2008 (approx. first week of December 2008) and that is about normal. Of all the tires we purchase at work (approx. 75-150 tires/month) I have never seen a manufacturing date any closer than about 2 months, most of the time closer to 3-4 months from manufacturing date to point of sale date. I don't think you could go wrong with any of the three as long as you follow the basic tire maintenance schedule/procedures such as weighing the coach and adjusting air pressure according to weight and maintaining that pressure on a regular basis and don't use tire dressings (only wash with soap and water) and the biggest is keeping them rolling down the road. It is worse for a tire to sit in one spot for an extended period of time than it is rolling down the road. Mike.

2003 Monaco Dynasty/ 26' Haulmark Edge trailer
2011 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon

Sully2

Cincinnati

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/09 06:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

skipsor wrote:

I'm now at the point where a decision has to be made about tires. I wanted to replace my Michelins with more of the same but the three tire shops I tried today all came up with 2008 dated tires. If I'm going to spend a lot of money on tires I don't want to start with one year already gone.

The two options open are Bridgestone and Goodyear. Does anyone have any experience with the Bridgestone RV tires? The Goodyears seem to get good reviews here but I can't recall seeing anything about Bridgestone.

These tires will be going on a 2004 Winnebago Brave and I'm looking at 245/70R's on 19.5 rims. Any help will be appreciated.

Ive had experience with 19.5 size Bridgestones..(225-70's).and Id go with them myself. If I would have had any experience with them in the 22.5 size I MIGHT HAVE gone that way on my present rig...but went with G670's on it presently.

2000 Country Coach Allure; Cummins ISC 330 HP; 71/2 - 8 MPG regardless
2002 Jeep Liberty

escaper1

Centerville,Ohio,USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/09 07:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I was shopping a year ago I compared the two in size 295/80r 22.5 and I was going to go with the bridgestones till I looked at their website and when you put their tire on an rv the warranty drops to four years and they what you to take the weight off the tires when parked. So I went with The G670's which is a five warranty and no mention of getting the weight off of the tires.

The Texan

Cascade, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/09 08:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go look at any truck stop and see what the truckers are running, both regional and OTR trucks. You will not see many if any Goodyear, as the trucking industry is not satisfied that Goodyear makes a reliable tire or stands behind their tires. Our coach came with Goodyear tires and 2 of them are eroding or rivering and Goodyear is refusing to stand behind their tire. This is the same treatment the trucking industry is receiving. The Bridgestone is a much better tire and you will see many of them on trucks, which says a lot.

Bob & Betsy(FishNFanatic) - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"
'05 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, 400 Cummins-Pulling our '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/'10 Rzr or '13 Suzuki 500 riding in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

smlranger

Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/09 06:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put Bridgestones on my previous coach (Adventurer with 19.5" wheels)and have Goodyear G670's on my current rig. I was/am pleased with both.

2007 Country Coach Allure 470, Cummins ISL 425; 2012 Honda CR-V toad. SMI Air Force One braking system. Lucy the rescued lab/springer mix; Dixie rescued beagle mix. Smith Mountain Lake, VA

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Bridgestone vs. Goodyear, how do they compare?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS