Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Cab over leaks?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Cab over leaks?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
stevo75

Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/09 05:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have heard many with comments on the cab over leak issues. Can someone explain where it usually leaks and the cause of it. I have a feeling it is due to the weight of the person sleeping there but at the same time I would think it's reinforced. Is there a weight limit for the cab over?

I ask because I have decided that a class C fits best for my family of 4, 2 kids under 4. If my commute was closer I would probably do the TT and TV thing. I am particularly partial to the Minnie Winnies and have seen some in the 1998-2001 years at around 20 grand which is around what I'm willing to pay.

Any input would be helpful, thank you.

Steve

2007 Jayco Jayflight 31BHDS (at seasonal in Maine)
1995 Trophy 2302 offshore fishing boat

USAFBILL

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/09 05:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My class C had leaks around the window frame, the clearance lights and a few other places. It was a continuing battle on my old Rockwood.

summerhouse

Big Rapids, Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/09 05:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From what I have gathered on here, most leaks occur either at the front window or if the front cab has a seam along the front. Newer units are now one piece designs. Alot of units have eliminated the window as both a source of leaks and because it transmits heat and cold to the cabover area.

I would attempt to find a unit with no window to eliminate that as a leak issue.

Good luck with your search!

2014 Tiffin Allegro 36LA - 'Summerhouse'
Ford 6.8 L Triton V10 5spd

“Light hearted I take to the open road… Healthy, free, the world before me… The long brown path before me leading me wherever I choose.” - Walt Whitman

pbitschura

SE MN

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/09 06:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

summerhouse wrote:

From what I have gathered on here, most leaks occur either at the front window or if the front cab has a seam along the front. Newer units are now one piece designs. Alot of units have eliminated the window as both a source of leaks and because it transmits heat and cold to the cabover area.

I would attempt to find a unit with no window to eliminate that as a leak issue.

Good luck with your search!
They leak where stated because the frame work which supports the cabover is almost nonexistant. Whenever you are moving, all the parts flex and move. Whatever seals the skin seam and window is doomed to fail because of lack of engineering. When I rebuilt mine, I fabricated struts, much like an airplane wing. I spaced these front to back between the last stuctural member on the cab and the front window.There is now rigidity and maintenance will be less necessary.

1988 Mallard class c 24' Chevy chassis 350 cu gas.

stevo75

Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/09 07:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the input, makes a lot of sense on the leak issues, As far as the window on the cab over does it depend on year or model or is this an add on to any c class motor home (kindda like a sunroof on a car)?

frankdamp

Anacortes

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/09 08:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A neighbor has what I think is about a 4-year old Itasca Class C, maybe a 28' rig. They bought it new as a replacement for a much older Class A. I honestly don't think it has moved out of the driveway since they brought it home.

I walk the dogs past their house most days and I was horrified to see the amount of silicone caulk they've slathered around. It seems like the window at the end of the overhead bed on the driver's side has been a major leak problem, as has the seam where the sidewall of the overhead meets the bed base. There are visible gaps where water has been getting in and the "trim" around the joint between the side and the base of the overhead below the small side window is in awful shape.

To me, it looks like Winnebago did the seams in a way that almost guarantees they'll leak.

It's an area I'm going to be looking at VERY carefully if we consider a rig like that.

Frank Damp, DW - Eileen Anacortes, WA, soon to be ex-RVers

'02 Georgetown 325, F53, V-10, now at a consignment dealer (Nov 2014).
Dogs - 2 older Labs, both yellow males, both adopted.

hotbyte

Barnesville GA

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/09 05:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stevo75 wrote:

Thanks for the input, makes a lot of sense on the leak issues, As far as the window on the cab over does it depend on year or model or is this an add on to any c class motor home (kindda like a sunroof on a car)?

We just bought a used 2006 class C and one of my go/no go criteria, thanks to reading the forums here, was not having a cab over window! In looking at the online RV classifieds sites (rvtraderonline, rvt, rvsearch, etc), it did seem some units of same year/model would have the window and some not. So, maybe it is an option for certain mfrs.

Our Web Albums Temporary Web Albums
2006 Yellowstone SE, 1998 Dodge Durango SLT 5.2L and 2011 Tidewater 1900 Bay Max

Take Us Away RV

Foster, Ky./USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/09 07:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We too had a leak on our cabover in our 1993 Tioga. It had gotten so bad, which we weren't aware of that during a hard rain and then a hot humid week-end the whole front let loose and came down on the windshield. Was told about a gentleman in Middlesbury, In. Took it to Fox RV there and they did a great job. We had the window taken out and they put in a solid skin and detailed it with trim to match our other. Also put new lights and got them working as ours had never work since we had purchased it used. Looks very nice. He also had to rebuild the entire bunk area. They put paneling across the back and on the bunk which matched very well with the old. Did a great job for $1200. We were very pleased with their work. Recommend them highly. Very nice people and beautiful country to see. Worth the 6 hrs it took us to get there

stevo75

Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/09 12:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hotbyte wrote:

stevo75 wrote:

We just bought a used 2006 class C and one of my go/no go criteria, thanks to reading the forums here, was not having a cab over window! In looking at the online RV classifieds sites (rvtraderonline, rvt, rvsearch, etc), it did seem some units of same year/model would have the window and some not. So, maybe it is an option for certain mfrs.

That's very interesting that some of the same year had it and some did not. Thanks for the info and the links!

BlackiceLSC

Sonoma County

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/09 01:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Class C(84 Fleetwood Jambo 26T) has evidence of prior leaks at the double-window seals. There is a body seam that runs underneath the cab-over which also had leaks.

I leak tested mine, and the only leak I have now is at the top of the windshield and that's a Ford thing, not a Jamboree thing.

as far as structure, or lack-there of, when I go over bumps, I can clearly see the independent movement of the cab-over shell, as it basically just sits there.

I sleep up top just because two adults dont fit very comfortably on the back bed, and it's just the two of us, so I crawl up there when it's time for some shut-eye. I call it "my lair". The two front windows are useless anyway. They dont open, they can/do leak, and it's not like you can see anything up there at night anyway...and I wouldn't let kiddies ride up there while travelling anyway...not exactly safe.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Cab over leaks?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS