Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Replacing Thetford Aqua Magic IV Water Valve
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Replacing Thetford Aqua Magic IV Water Valve

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Baby_LTV

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/09 03:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't believe this has been discussed before, so I thought I would share my experience.

After a weekend camping, while DH was doing the slinky thing with the black water, I was inside our B flushing a bit of water into the tank when I noticed water leaking from the back of the toilet. I cleaned up what I could, shut off the valve, then began to wonder what exactly was leaking. Once home, I connected the hose to the camper, turned on the water to the Thetford and felt behind to locate the leak. It seemed to be leaking higher than the thumb screw for the water inlet, and with a mirror, I could tell it was near the top of the water valve. After some browsing on the web, I discovered that the water valve is typically the culprit. Once I found the local RV place had one in stock, I closed the water supply, disconnected the two closet bolts at the base (similar to the house toilet), and the lovely little thing lifted easily from it's mount. I took it directly to my laundry tub and scrubbed the daylights out of it.

On direct inspection, the water valve seemed to be connected by just two screws, so I disconnected those. The picture on the web indicated that O Rings were located on the top, so I gave the valve a tug and it dropped out, BUT was connected to this thick wire thingy. After twisting all sorts of ways, I determined the back section of the toilet had to come off to expose the area where this wire thingy connected. Three screws did the trick. A wee move of the spring for the hand flush mechanism freed the wire thingy so I could disconnect it from the valve.

I noticed at this time that a strap holding the reservoir in place had snapped and wondered if it was loose and leaking from there as well since that area is directly above the water valve. I check the parts list, and think I might have to order the reservoir assembly (as it is not a stock item) to complete the job.

I jump in the shower, then head for the RV store. Let me mention at this time Stoltzfus RV's and Marine is where I shop for parts. The Service Manager there, Terry, is tremendous and a wealth of information. He indicated that as long as he has been in business he has never replaced a reservoir assembly, but has replaced numerous water valves. He didn't believe the reservoir needed replaceing. He did, however, think I should replace the strap holding it in place, but suggested a plastic tie should do the trick and gave me one.

The water valve assembly comes with another foam flange for the base, two screws, the plunger, and the valve. Once home, the installation and putting back together took 10 minutes. Performed a water check and all was dry as a bone. I was surprised at how easy it was to repair.

If I had known how easy it was to remove the Thetford I would have removed it for easier cleaning when I purchsed the unit USED a few months ago..... I'll file that one under "lessons learned".

Carol & Juan
1998 Leisure Travel Van Freedom Widebody, "Baby"
Pennsylvania

stevesandidge

kingsport tn

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/09 04:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

congrats carol and welcome to rv repair 101. i actually did mine even before i became n rv tech. well i actually rebuilt the whole toilet, seals valves and all. while not the most pleasent job, it is not hard.
steve

steve sandidge
RVIA certified rv tech
camping world rv university
class 54
fix-it rv service
USMC 1982-1994
91 holiday rambler imperial 37'

rvten

Crossville,TN

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/09 06:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had you cantacted Thedford. You might have received the parts free.
I had a leaky valve on ours. Contacted them. Got free parts plus floor seal. As the correct way to do the repair was remove the toilet.
(per there instructions)

Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

Baby_LTV

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/09 07:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rvten wrote:

Had you cantacted Thedford. You might have received the parts free.
I had a leaky valve on ours. Contacted them. Got free parts plus floor seal. As the correct way to do the repair was remove the toilet.
(per there instructions)

Tom/Bonnie, our unit is from 1998. Would Thetford be so kind?

Baby_LTV

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/09 07:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stevesandidge wrote:

congrats carol and welcome to rv repair 101.
steve

Thanks for the welcome, Steve! I think I'm ready for 102....

nbounder

Arizona mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/09 08:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Carol, you done good . . . really good. Now that you've been thru it, it'll be easier for you to remember to get some anti-freeze (Pink stuff) thru the valve when you winterize. Should you forget, you'll be repeating this job in March. By the way - what's your hourly rate?

Nbounder
KG7DKF

Baby_LTV

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/09 01:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nbounder wrote:

Carol, you done good . . . really good. Now that you've been thru it, it'll be easier for you to remember to get some anti-freeze (Pink stuff) thru the valve when you winterize. Should you forget, you'll be repeating this job in March. By the way - what's your hourly rate?

Thanks for the compliment! Odd that you should mention it, it did occur to me to insure the valve ended up pink for the winter, I just haven't purchased my anti-freeze yet. I'm considering a little 3 gallon compressor and thinking of rigging up one of those handy-dandy contraptions I saw on here to blow out my lines. Winterizing is my next job after cleaning the camper; I have to give the shower drain cover (the large one with carpet) a cleaning with Resolve because DH wanted to know exactly what would happen if we over filled our gray water tank. squish, squish...

My hourly rate???? I'm retired, so if I find the job interesting, I'm free!

hgarraway

Petal Mississippi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/10 08:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Baby_LTV. I encountered the same problem this weekend and your post took me right through the repair process

2000 GMC Sierra 2500 4X4
2001 Cedar Creek 33RLBS
Elm 3000

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Replacing Thetford Aqua Magic IV Water Valve
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS