Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Greasing axle bearings with grease fittings
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Greasing axle bearings with grease fittings

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
wade1533

Schertz, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/09 03:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should take the bearings out and grease them, dont use the grease zert.

Bipeflier

Centralia, MO

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/09 03:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kennethwooster wrote:

I called the Dexter factory, and got this advice. Best done during warm weather, and pull the trailer far enough to heat up the grease that is already in the hub. Then very slowly pump in fresh grease until grease starts coming out toward the outside. It worked, but later talking to a dealer he recommended taking the hubs down and greasing the bearings by hand. I'll probably do that this spring. I believe this can work, but if a seal did give way it would ruin the brakes, and possible allow water and dirt into the system.

Why on earth would you take a dealers word for this instead of the manufacturer? I guess he just wants you to pay him a couple hundred bucks to do this for you.

I will allways follow the manufacturers instructions over any one else, especially those who have minimum experience.

2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2011 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

lynndiwagon

Yukon, Oklahoma, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/09 07:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just got through replacing those "non-existent" double lipped rear seals on my EZ lube axles from Lippert. Just as bad as getting grease on the brake shoes is getting grease on the magnet faces. You don't want any grease in there.

Lynn & Diana Wagoner
Three Boston Terriers
2005 Chevy 2500HD D/A
Vision 19.5" Wheels, BFG ST230 Tires
2014 Big Country 3650RL
Retired

jbc28

Gadsden, AL

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/09 08:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

retired1 wrote:

There seems to be a lot of confusion about Dexter Easy Lube axles. There is no rear seal to blow out. There is no way to contaminate the brakes with grease. The excess comes out the front as previously stated. Just jack up each wheel seperately and rotate while adding grease. Use a bottle jack or floor jack under each axle close to the spring.

I can say for certain that this is false. I just replaced the brakes and seals on my dexter easy lube axles on my enclosed trailer. 3 of the 4 had pushed grease past the seal and covered the brakes. I never put more than 2 pumps of grease once every 6 months or so.

06 F350 DRW cab & chassis, CM bed, 4x4, crew cab, Lariat
05 KZ Sportster 37KX2L

Likes to tow

Huntington WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/18/09 05:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Crossroads Cruiser had EZ lube hubs and they definitely had seals that had been blown out by somebody who got grease gun happy.

Charlie D.

E. Texas-Orange

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/18/09 05:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[]There seems to be a lot of confusion about Dexter Easy Lube axles. There is no rear seal to blow out. There is no way to contaminate the brakes with grease. The excess comes out the front as previously stated. Just jack up each wheel seperately and rotate while adding grease. Use a bottle jack or floor jack under each axle close to the spring.

Website shows a seal. Dexter and Lippert use the same E-Z-Lube and I know for sure that Lippert has a seal.

* This post was edited 10/18/09 06:00pm by Charlie D. *

Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Greasing axle bearings with grease fittings
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS