Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Class C Tires
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Class C Tires

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
AstroRig57

near Tehachapi, CA

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/09 12:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agiletiger wrote:

I just looked at Goodyear's RV tire selection and didn't see a 949. If a tire is rated for a Class A, is it advisable to use on a Class C... ?

Only all steel construction that I see is the g647.

Am I missing something?

Carrie

The All Steel Goodyear tire that I use on my 31' Class C is the Goodyear G947 RSS Armor MAX. It is the replacement for the G647 which has been discontinued. I see that the Goodyear RV website still has not been revised to show this.

I went with the G947, as opposed to the XPS Rib, because I wanted an All Steel tire with a M + S rating and the XPS Traction does not come in 225 75/R16.

I love them and think they are great tires. My perception is that the handling is more "sure footed" without a harsher ride, when compared to my prior LTX M+S.

Information can be found here on the Goodyear Commercial Tire website.

Goodyear G947 RSS Armor MAX

The G949 RSS Armor MAX, was previously only available in sizes suitable for Class-A motorhomes as the G149. It is is now available in sizes suitable for a Class-C. Due to it's "rib type tread pattern" it seems to be comparable to the XPS Rib whereas the G947 is more comparable to the XPS Traction. It should be an excellent choice for those who don't need a tire with an M + S rating. The G949 specs can be found here: Goodyear G949 RSS Armor MAX

From my observations, the Goodyear RV tire website has not been updated in close to a year. Quite obviously, since the Goodyear RV Website still does not note that the prior model G647 has been replaced by the G947, which I discovered in April when I bought mine, I would not put too much stock in the fact that a given light or commercial truck tire is not listed on a manufacturer's RV site. I would challenge anyone to define the "RV Spec" as there is no such thing. Depending on size and weight, not all RV's need an All-Steel tire but I would put nothing else on a larger rig like mine. BTW, I previously had the LTX M + S on my 31' rig and had no issues in 32,000 miles and almost five years of use. They were replaced only due to sidewall cracking and age.

In the spring, when I was unable to find the G647 and was told by a Goodyear dealer that it had been replaced by the G947 I wrote to Goodyear for clarification.

Timothy Miller at Goodyear responded thusly:

Yes Frank.

In the tire size you require, the G647 RSS has been replaced by the
G947 RSS Armor MAX tire.

When the federal government changed the requirements for 16" light truck tires about 1 1/2 years ago, we (and other tire manufacturers) needed to create tires that had to meet much higher durability standards than in the past. In order to distinguish them from the old tires, we gave them a new name. The tread pattern is exactly the same. The bad news is that they do cost more but, the good news, they are very durable (as Uncle Sam requires it).

Tim

* This post was last edited 11/10/09 12:44pm by AstroRig57 *   View edit history

Shopping. Sold 2005 31' Coachmen Freelander 3150SS, considering options.

Do you remember when the sky was dark, and the stars were bright?
The International Dark-Sky Association
American by birth...Scottish by the Grace Of God.

Westronics

Redmond, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/10/09 07:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cochalet wrote:

I have Michelin LTX tires on mine now. Never had a problem and have liked the ride, but they are ready for replacement. One tire place told me the Michelin XPS are the "best" RV tires; another said to just go with another set of LTX tires.

I've driven through rain and snow with no problem on the LTXs, so I'm wondering from those here saying XPS tires are the way to go -why given the extra $ and the stiffer/rougher ride with the XPS?

The best tires for us (E-450 owners) are:

Michelin XPS Rib (all-steel, great track record)
Goodyear G947 (Mud and snow rated, all-steel)
Goodyear G949 (Very similar to the Michelin XPS Rib)

Michelin LTX, if one can go by what is reported by owners on this site, is a poor choice. It tends to get cracks in the sidewalls requiring early replacement - at least when used on heavier vehicles like our MHs.

On the other hand, if your experience with Michelin LTXs has been great, I see no reason why you should not continue to use them. It could be that your combination of the way you drive, the weight of you MH and your local weather has not added up to the cracks requiring early replacement. Who can say for sure?

2002 Jayco Greyhawk 24SS, Camera, ScanGauge, Inverter, Airtabs, Portabote, SeeLevel II, Tireman valves, Xatnrex Battery Monitor, Aero-flo vent, Trik-L-Start, XPS Rib, Chains, Lil' Stanker, Be kind to septic systems Ford: 1-800-444-3311. RV Tires

cochalet

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/09 01:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for that detailed response, Westronics. I guess I'm wondering what experience people have driving the XPS Ribs in rainy/snowy conditions? Most of my driving is on pavement or gravel and dirt roads, but given that I live in Colorado I am driving in rain and snow sometimes. In that situation, is the Goodyear the better choice or are the XPS passable in those conditions?

P.S. Given that this is such an expensive decision no matter which choice you make, I appreciate the input.

K.T.
Current trailer: 2011 Jayco Tent Trailer
Former trailers: Chalet, HiLo, Scamp, Bigfoot Class C, Jayco

catman2130093

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/09 01:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I looked at the XPS, if I recall correctly they are not M+S rated. At any rate, they were expensive,even the LTX's were $199 each before any add-ons. I looked at everything,talked to tons of people, and settled on CooperSRMII tires. They were much less expensive than the Michelin LTX that I had that were falling apart at 4 years old and 10k miles. (They were always covered btw). My racing team ran Coopers on our crew cab dually pulling a 45' gooseneck trailer with the race car and shop inside. In 45k miles,and five years,we never had a problem with the Coopers. The Coopers were all fresh (built in 09), Michelin dealers in Tallahassee/Panama City weren't willing to guarantee fresh tires. Their feeling was the warranty starts when the tire is mounted, no matter how old the tire is. As a fulltimer with pets, having to mess with tires frequently is a huge pain in the butt. These Coopers were also built in America (go team!) and their warranty is for the tread life, not mileage or time. Everyone has their favorites, these are mine. American made, 10 ply M+S rated with a super guarantee, I paid $910 for six,driveout. I'm happy.

Westronics

Redmond, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/10/09 05:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cochalet wrote:

Thanks for that detailed response, Westronics. I guess I'm wondering what experience people have driving the XPS Ribs in rainy/snowy conditions? Most of my driving is on pavement or gravel and dirt roads, but given that I live in Colorado I am driving in rain and snow sometimes. In that situation, is the Goodyear the better choice or are the XPS passable in those conditions?

P.S. Given that this is such an expensive decision no matter which choice you make, I appreciate the input.

I have driven my XPS Ribs in the rain many times, and also in snow and even a little (just a little) mud.

Rain traction is wonderful. I had no problem at all in my one trip in the snow, and the mud was too small an amount to really draw any conclusions.

chinook440

chicago

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/09 05:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with astrorig

"Depending on size and weight, not all RV's need an All-Steel tire but I would put nothing else on a larger rig "

Im my opinion some of those Big Class C rigs should have never even came with the 225/75/16 sized tires and rims from the factory.

I recently put all new ltx m/s tires in the above size on my little ole chinook which is an upgrade from the stock D range tires they orginally spec,d for it but if i had a much longer & heavier M.H. i would have gone with a 19.5" rim so i could get some real truck tires instead of a bandaid fix all steel tire in such a small size.

I wanted to buy american made tires but the cooper dealers here don,t stock anything and are reluctant to order anything and the goodyear dealers aren,t much better & i was in a rush to go on a trip... so i went with the readily avaible canadian made michelins,,,if they start cracking prematurely i ,ll put in an order and wait for some cooper,s or goodyears or dunlop rovers ,all of which i,ve had great luck with on my work trucks and cars.

revdsid

Kalamazoo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/10/09 06:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When you go to the Goodyear web site and select Commercial Tire-- then select an application: RV and then pick LT225/75/16 you get ONLY TWO choices: 947 and 949. I submit that as an "RV Spec".

AS for the Coopers--- they won't last because they are too light. I have blown 3 (three) of my original six. (The other three I threw out!)Didn't last three years.

AstroRig57

near Tehachapi, CA

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/09 07:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

revdsid wrote:

When you go to the Goodyear web site and select Commercial Tire-- then select an application: RV and then pick LT225/75/16 you get ONLY TWO choices: 947 and 949. I submit that as an "RV Spec".

...and if you access "RV Tires" via a different route, by not going to the "Commercial Tire" link first on the Goodyear site will find this listing which doesn't note the G947 or G949, only their predecessors, and also lists the Goodyear Wrangler as an "RV Tire".

http://www.goodyear.com/rv/products/

By your reasoning, a 22' Class-C, on an E-350 Chassis, with no slides, needs the same tire as a 32' Class-C, on an E-450, with three slides. I stand by my previous post that there is no "RV Spec" as not all "RV's" are the same.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Class C Tires
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS