Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Roadmaster vs Blue Ox tow bars
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Roadmaster vs Blue Ox tow bars

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Roadpilot

NH Seacoast

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/09 08:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the Roadmaster Blackhawk All Terrain which is rated at 10,000 pounds. I pull a Chevy Silverado with a Rampage motorcycle lift in the bed that's carrying a Harley ElectraGlide. If you are pulling anything heavy I'd stick with a Roadmaster.

I was at an RV dealer in Maine having some work done and there was a car with a Blue OX baseplate that had only one bar left attached. The owner of the shop told me he had seen that before. 3 months later I was in NH and another dealer told me a similar story.

My truck has the two bars on the baseplate and my old CR-V only had one. For any kind of weight I'd like the two bars.

2006 Millennium Prevost
2013 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Black Diamond
2009 HD Electra Glide CVO Screaming Eagle - mine
2009 Yamaha VStar950 - DW
Cruiser Caddie motorcycle lift

chastho

arkansas

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/09 08:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have used both and would not go back to the Roadmaster. The Blue ox is easier to hook and unhook and leaves less on the front of toad. The Blue Ox base plates I have used were a little more difficult to install but that is only a one time deal.

Rochester, Mn

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/09 08:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do yourself (and your pocketbook) a favor and look at this tow bar. It's rated for 8000 lbs but relatively light. The telescoping and locks also work great.

If you need a toad braking system, I think they have one of the simplest and best systems available also---------wish I would have bought their brake system as well as their tow bar.

Mark

2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U on a Ford chassis, 80,000 miles
2003 Ford Explorer toad with Ready Brake supplemental brakes,
Ready Brute tow bar, and Demco base plate.

RayChez

Barstow, Ca. USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/09 09:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Blue Ox is hard to beat. I have the Aventa II rated at 10K, so it does not get any better then that. I also like the Blue Ox Aventa II because the tow bar stays on the coach, not on the bumper where it looks ugly on your toad. RD department of Blue Ox are always looking for the best that can be manufactured. Also customer service is the best.

2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2013 Honda CR-V EX
Aventa II
FMCA member

subtroll

Hayes, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/13/09 09:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bought a toad with a Roadmaster base plate and since I already had a Blue Ox Aventa II towbar, I bought the Blue Ox adapter bar and used it two years and 20k miles. Worked fine but was just plain ugly. Couldn't see the front license plate and the grill looked like a cattle gate pusher.

Installed the Blue Ox base plate and now its beautiful.

2004 National Tropi-cal Sterling 396
2003 Jeep Liberty

Tarheel 2

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/13/09 11:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Misread previous comments!

Tarheel

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/09 01:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use a 5000 lb. capacity adjustable A-frame towbar built by either Valley Industries or Reese, I don't remember which.
It cost me $145 new several years ago. It works just as good as the high-priced fancy telescoping towbars.
I am rapidly approaching 70 years old, and quite lazy. I don't find that this cheap fixed towbar is too much of a PITA to hook up or unhook, and I can easily pick it up and put it in the garage when I don't want it on the Jeep.
It works, and it is foolproof. IMO, that counts for a lot!
Of course, it just wouldn't do for those who believe looks are important. For me, with my 4 year old Jeep, and my 15 year old motorhome, it just doesn't matter! Saving money was/is MUCH more important than looks or prestige.
It works for me.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad 1: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (and Toad 2): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Locomotiveman

Willmar, MN

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/09 02:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Durangoroadboss, Went with BLUE AX Aventa II because it was generically simple and the tab mounts on our DurangoSUV are sturdy and nearly invisible. Locomotiveman

Locomotiveman..Yes I am a career cross-country Locomotive Engineer. Wife is an RN. We are CLOSE to retiring and 'downsized' to a Monaco Executive w/450hp Cummins and nice drapes. Locomotiveman

CaFlyFisher

Rapid City (Beautiful Black Hills) South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/09 06:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had both with the Roadmaster initially, and over the past number of years, I have used the Blue Ox Aventa II.
The Roadmaster I found to bind a lot more; more difficult to hook-up and unhook; a lot of hardware sticking all out in the front of the toad.
The Blue Ox I found to be much easier, faster and cleaner in both the hook-up and the unhook of the toad; it is a clean look to the toad with hardly no hardware showing up front; their service has been excellent!
Blue Ox is a great tow bar system and I think that is one reason that you see so many out on the road.
Given my own experience with both, I am definitely a Blue Ox fan.

Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV 43'
Saturn Vue
Blue-Ox
Visited ALL 50 states in the U.S.of A.

cltkids

Lake Park, North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/13/09 07:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bought a Blue Ox Aventa II a little more than 2 years ago and have put over 10,000 miles on it. Has worked very well and we like it. Also, when I have had questions, their service was great!

2007 Four Winds Hurricane 34B
2007 CR-V w/ Blue Ox Aventa LX/Even Brake
2 Kids/2 Dogs

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Roadmaster vs Blue Ox tow bars
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS