Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Cummins ISB Oil Pressure Sender Research and Fix
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Cummins ISB Oil Pressure Sender Research and Fix

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
bpassmore

Houston

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/09/09 04:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 1998.5 24 valve ISB 5.9l. I seem to have a bad oil pressure sender, but Cummins has 2 senders on the engine. (Apparently - as I have only found 1 so far) - one for the ECU and one for the gauge.

Turns out the original oil sender for the gauge was a resister-type that sends an electronic signal of certain values to the gauge. It was fully analog, where the meter would move from low to high, according to the pressure it sensed.

The ECU sender is a digital sender, 1 or 0. either it has good pressure or it doesn't. +55 psi or nothing. Turns out the ECU will fall to a cripple mode if this one fails.

Now, Cummins in their infinite wisdom has chosen to switch the analog sender with the digital one. As you can guess, this creates basically an idiot light out of the gauge.

Why? I found an International part number for a sender that is similar to the original Cummins part number since Cummins no longer sells the old unit.

My Gauge is pegged to +120 when ignition is on. Im hesitant to start buying all theses senders with nor recourse. Cummins tells me to goto the idiot light option. i dont like that.

Part Numbers:

1. Old Cummins Sender: 3408428
2. New International Sender: 584051C2
3. New Cummins Sender/Sensor: 4076930
4. New Cummins Sensor Harness: 3164755 (req if using new sensor)

And extra numbers that might be useful:

4088390 - this seems to be an alternate Cummins part that will substitute the original, but Cummins doesn't cross-reference the ISB with this unit.

Also, Cummins part number 4921511 seems to be another OE replacement, but once again, Cummins doesn't cross it.

Reference: See here, and here.

The International Part came in, and surprise, surprise, it was a VDO part. It is working like a champ after 15 minutes of work.

1998 Fleetwood Discovery 36R, 275 Cummins ISB, Allison MD3060
2008 Avalanche LTZ 4x4
Fleetwood Owners Group on Facebook
Discovery Owners Association

jauguston

Bellingham, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/09 07:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the same engine and gauge setup. The sender is just a switch if you have oil pressure the gauge will say 55 psi.

I guess that is why many call the gauge panel in a motorhome a entertainment center

Jim

2005 Coachman Sportscoach Elite 402 40'
350hp Cat C-7 w/MP-8
7500w Onan quiet diesel generator
6-Kyocera 130w solar panels SB3024i MPPT controller
Pressure Pro TPMS
1987 Suzuki Samurai tintop Toad w/VW 1.6 turbo diesel power

bpassmore

Houston

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/09/09 07:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jauguston wrote:

I have the same engine and gauge setup. The sender is just a switch if you have oil pressure the gauge will say 55 psi.

I guess that is why many call the gauge panel in a motorhome a entertainment center

Jim

If you replace your sender with that VDO Part (International part above) it will be full-scale again, not just +55

For what ever reason, Cummins decided to change the gauge from full-scale to idiot light style, and stopped selling the original sender.

shuffster

McCall, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/09/09 07:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Going to the new Cummins supplied sender may require and electrical harness change and new programing to the ECU-as happened on my 2001 Freightliner Chassis (32t Journey). Cost about $300 and 2 hours and the gauge will always stay in one place. I wish I could have got an Int'l replacement and spent 15 minutes on the repair.

2006 Itasca Meridian 36G

jauguston

Bellingham, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/09 09:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

shuffster has it right. Same with mine. The new wiring harness plugs into a unused socket in a multi connector and the ECU has to be programmed to now look at that location.The wiring harness is not much more than a short pigtail and not expensive.

Jim

SacsTC

N. California

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/09 10:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Or, you could use the MOPAR replacement:

Oil Pressure Sensor..........Cummins...3408428
................................Mopar.....5012991-AB

2007 Monaco Diplomat 400HP Cummins ISL
Source Engineering RR8R Ride Enhancement Kit
2006 Chevy Silverado 345HP 6.0 TOAD

bpassmore

Houston

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/10/09 10:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My quesiton for those who havent fixed it yet, do you want an idiot light, or do you want to retain the full-scale gauge functionality?

jauguston

Bellingham, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/09 09:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before you run off to the Mopar store to get their sender consider how likely it is that your RV has a Mopar gauge system. My guess is the chances are somewhere between slim and none. I know my Gulf Stream Has NO Mopar parts. It has a Stewart-Warner fly by wire system that was so bad it was discontinued the year after my coach was built.

Jim

MH4Two

Ickesburg, PA

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/09 02:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should be able to find an analog sender at http://www.egauges.com/.

Me, the DW, 2 dogs and more.
1998 Overland Larado, 41', one slide, 325 Cummins, '02 Jeep Liberty Upgrades we've done: SMI-Air Force 1 towed brake system, replaced all 3 TVs with new hiDef LCDs, inst. Xantrex 2Kw Inverter, Prog. Ind. HW50 surge protector

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Cummins ISB Oil Pressure Sender Research and Fix
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS