Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Jayco Roof Repair Question Delima
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Jayco Roof Repair Question Delima

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
crab80

Virginia`s Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/09 05:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GMC Jayco wrote:

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.I was at CampingWorld today and paid attention to a Jayco just like mine and noticed his roof was shorter than mine on the sides up from the rails,So when i got home I done some checking and found the knuckle heads that put a new roof on didnt lie about it.They put another layer of wood on top of the existing wood and installed a new rubber roof.What a waste of a new roof,SO I have decided this spring to completely remove both layers,go back with what its supposed to have,fix any truss issues,then install a new rubber roof along with converting some of the roof vents to sky lights.SO I have some planning to do over the winter I suppose..Any thoughts or comments are welcome..If I have to replace any rafters,is there a way to remove the rafter w/o damaging the inside panel?And what thickness do I need to go back with on my new roof wood?..Thanks
I can only tell you that my 2010 Jayco has 3/8 plywood on the roof according to the specs. Not sure what they used in `95. Other then added weight is the second layer of plywood a serious issue? I have never put a roof on an RV but what you are proposing would seem like a major endeavour and a considerable expense if the only issue is the structural integrity immediately around the A/C unit. Just a few thoughts. Good luck whichever route you take.

2010 Jayco 28BHS
2004 Chevy 1500 Ext.Cab 5.3L, 3.73, Bilsteins, Timbren SES
Reese Dual Cam
Prodigy P3

TURK2500

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/09 06:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GMC Jayco wrote:

snip.....If I have to replace any rafters,is there a way to remove the rafter w/o damaging the inside panel?And what thickness do I need to go back with on my new roof wood?..Thanks

The ceiling panels are attached to the rafters, but careful removal of the staples should allow you to re-attach the panels to the new rafter(s). Be prepared to support (if required) the ceiling panel once the rafter is removed.

I don't recall what the original thickness of the roofing plywood was on my '05' Eagle, but when my roof was replaced last winter we utilized plywood that was an additional 1/8" thick.

The following photo shows the rafters exposed after removal of the roofing material (ignore the mositure damage):

Keep in mind should you have to replace a rafter you "may" have to contend with wires running through the rafter (depending on your '95' model construction).

Turk2500

02 Chevy, 2500HD/4x4, 6.0L/4:10, GVWR 9,200lbs., GCWR 16,000lbs.
05 Jayco Eagle, 278FBS, GVWR 9,000lbs.
TV/TT loaded: 14,700lbs.
Loaded Tongue Weight: 1,250lbs.
Loaded TT weight: 8,400
Putnam XDR Class V, Reese HP Dual Cam.

b_salgado

Salisbury ,NC,USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/09 04:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jayco254 wrote:

I don't know what the price on your roof will be, but for a 26'11" Jayfeather roof from Jayco it was about $2000 plus shipping and installation. Total was around $10,500 installed. So if you can do it yourself you'll save a small fortune. And being a different model your price could be totaly different.
You're getting ripped off if it's going to cost $10500 for a 27 TT! I just got a quote for my 31' with numerous parts needing replacement (thanks to an idiot with a chainsaw) for under $6000. That includes, membrane, sealants, and ALL parts and labor

04 Lariat Supercrew 4x4,5.4,3.73, Edge tuner, flowmaster duals
06 Trail Bay 31BH, nicely optioned
Equal-i-zer
Prodigy
Follow vehicle, 05 KIA Sorento EX for the golden retrievers.

Jayco254

Eastern Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/09 11:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know what the price on your roof will be, but for a 26'11" Jayfeather roof from Jayco it was about $2000 plus shipping and installation. Total was around $10,500 installed. So if you can do it yourself you'll save a small fortune. And being a different model your price could be totaly different.

Tom, Kathy, Nikki, & Kelly
Pets: Lady - Texas Heeler, Dinger - Rhodesian Riidgeback Mix
2008 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4 5.4 ci 3.73 gears
2008 Dodge Ram SLT Big Horn 4x4 5.7L Hemi 3.92 gears
2007 Jayco Jayfeather EXP 254
Husky W/D, P-3

LarryJM

NoVa

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/09 03:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GMC Jayco wrote:

I dont totally disagree with the sky light plan comment.As far as the double roof I believe that the extra weight cant be good for the situation,not to mention what they left underneath.I was also checking the rubber membrain around the edges and it doesnt appear to even be glued down.Somebody did a hack job if you ask me.My ceiling is flat and has A/C ducting in it.I am looking forward to getting this started.I did remodeling for quite a few years part time.Its just the unknown that gets you.I have noticed many on here have tackled this quite a few times.Inside is flat except for the 1 truss that was knocked down some,but looking across the top it seems wavey from panel to panel.Can you buy the new rubber roof in a Kit form and where is the cheapest place to try and source it.I will start a new post w/ lots of pics when i get it all started.

You observation about the roof being glued down along the edges ... from my read a lot of roofs have non glued areas since all that is really needed is to have the roof basically attached to the wood underlayment and they probably don't try and glue it very close to the edge so they don't slop glue onto the sides of the trailer during manufacture.

As long as you are not overweight because of the extra layer of roof underlayment, I would not tackle removing the entire roof just to fix that issue.

Larry

2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

GMC Captiva

Ga

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/14/09 06:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I dont totally disagree with the sky light plan comment.As far as the double roof I believe that the extra weight cant be good for the situation,not to mention what they left underneath.I was also checking the rubber membrain around the edges and it doesnt appear to even be glued down.Somebody did a hack job if you ask me.My ceiling is flat and has A/C ducting in it.I am looking forward to getting this started.I did remodeling for quite a few years part time.Its just the unknown that gets you.I have noticed many on here have tackled this quite a few times.Inside is flat except for the 1 truss that was knocked down some,but looking across the top it seems wavey from panel to panel.Can you buy the new rubber roof in a Kit form and where is the cheapest place to try and source it.I will start a new post w/ lots of pics when i get it all started.

TURK2500

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/09 05:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

b_salgado wrote:

snip....You're getting ripped off if it's going to cost $10500 for a 27 TT!...snip

I agree....., unless the $10,500 price includes new rafters, plywood, insulation, vents, etc..

IMO get another quote clearly stating what material and labor is being provided, from two different sources.

Turk2500

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Jayco Roof Repair Question Delima
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS