Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: RV extended warranties - worth it?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> RV extended warranties - worth it?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
maddogrdhg

Deer Park, Texas Birthplace of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/09 06:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My son is buying a new Cyclone 3850 and wants to know if buying an extended warranty is worth the money. He is looking at RV Pro Care ( also known as RVIS). It appears to cover most everything with a $25 deductable. The policy for his unit will cost $2995.00 for a warranty period of 7 years. How well do these pay off and what kind of hassels? I realize a fridge or generator is expensive but other things not so bad. Thoughts?

Mike

hwybnb

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/09 06:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No. Extended warranties and service contracts are a big money maker for RV dealers. Guess where all of that money comes from. They sound good up front but have so many exclusions and limita they seldom pay off, unless you think that they are worth it just for whatever peace of mind they bring.

eornomp@msn.com

The frozen tundra known as WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/17/09 06:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Put the $3k in an interest bearing savings account for future unexpected expenses. You'll be way ahead.

Jay and Peggy Monroe
Pine River WI
(central)
2011 American Revolution LE 42W
'07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 'toad'
One more house to sell, one more of us to retire

dgo1369

Georgetown, TX, US

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/09 06:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You will generally have the same people give you the same answer to this question. The ones before me, and more after me, will say no. They make a good point about putting money aside to pay for the inevitable. However, there aren't that many people who have the discipline - or the money - to set aside several thousand dollars to prepare for emergencies. I'm fortunate in that I can, however I choose to have a long-term "warranty" for my own peace of mind and it has repaid for itself with still two years to go on the contract. Keep in mind that what you are paying for is not a warranty but rather a service contract. To me it makes no difference, I'd never be without one. I didn't get mine until near the end of the OEMs warranty period and then bought one.

Dennis Osha

Dog Trainer

Richmond Mi.

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/09 07:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you want to consider an extended warranty do a search on this site. Too many negitive comments from those that were left out in the cold with items that were not covered. I would not do it myself but I am pretty handy about repairing stuff on my own.

93 Airstream 35' Dp
5.9 230 uprated to 300 HP
Allison MD 3060
Shadow 12 yr old Golden Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles (fur Bearing Children) Duchess my Golden daddys little girl at the Rainbow bridge since 4/12

Vulcaneer

Central New Hampshire, Naples, FL

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/09 07:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bought my trailer used from a dealer. Bought 7 yr extended warranty. Added $6 to my monthly payment. It has paid for it self. And it is transferable to next buyer. Worth it to me. And hopefully gives next buyer peace of mind, whenever I do sell it.

Just be careful to read the exclusions, to see what it will NOT cover. There are many different versions to choose from.

'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2011 Open Range 393RLS 14,250 GVWR
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Confusion is a prerequisite to enlightenment.
Enlightenment is a prerequisite to revelation.
Revelation without action makes no difference.

BuckBarker

Treasure Coast Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/17/09 07:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those that say "no" are those that never bought one or never had the opportunity to use it if they bought it.
I say it is cheap insurance should something major go wrong. Considering the initial cost of a rig, it is well worth the cost.
Personally, I have never used my warranty and should I never have the need to use it, I look at it like I have wasted money in worse ways.

garyhaupt

Back living in Kitimat..northern BC.

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/09 07:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am in the process of buying a '99 C with 4 wheel drive..(name dropper I am!) I'll be considering buying one. I am looking at power train, not so much house.

Gary Haupt

I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

JaBob

Roswell, Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/17/09 07:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting, those who don't have make the responses. By my count only one person responded who has or had a warranty and they felt good about it.
When I bought my MH from a private party it had 4 years remaining on the warranty and was a factor in my decision. This is a factor that never gets discussed.
My experience 1) new AC unit $1300. 2) Wiring problem $250. My cost $50.

Bob

Rodz

West Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/09 07:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Vulcaneer wrote:

Bought my trailer used from a dealer. Bought 7 yr extended warranty. Added $6 to my monthly payment. It has paid for it self. And it is transferable to next buyer. Worth it to me. And hopefully gives next buyer peace of mind, whenever I do sell it.

Just be careful to read the exclusions, to see what it will NOT cover. There are many different versions to choose from.

I've had it several times and I've never had a claim refused. I'm way ahead of the game.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> RV extended warranties - worth it?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS