Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Class A tires
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Class A tires

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
texasbaskets

Frisco, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/21/09 07:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

comnthru wrote:

Hancook makes a great tire. Well recommended. Priced well.

Double Coin is another brand I would buy as well.

I replaced 6 - 5 year old XRV's with 20,000 miles on them to XZE's and yes, the ride is more harsh, but, I bought Michelin's because they were honoring a warranty claim, not because I thought they were the best value for me.

My next tire replacement will be new tires of a good brand on the steer axle and Bandags on the drive axle.

Michael, Kay, and Prissy (The vicious 6 pound Malti-Poo)
'05 Coachmen SportsCoach SE 372DS a.k.a. "Mana's Cabana"

slick60

Smyrna, Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/21/09 08:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you can make a choice from this wide array of replies you probably could have made the decision on your own. Good Luck and Safe Travels.

Charles , Jean and Miss Kitty
Covered Bridge Good Sams
2004 Winnegago Journey 39 ft 3 slides
2004 Grand Cherokee
Brake Buddy
Blue Ox Towing Package

pkunk

Questa, NM

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/09 09:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm happy with my Hankooks, & would steer clear of the Hercules.

1999 Coachman Mirada 34 ft.V10-F53 chassis
12ft.LR slide-2 gp31 AGM 12V @220AH

mscamping

any place, USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/09 09:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I noticed that you have 255X70X22.5 size tires.. We had those and they rode hard, so when we replaced tires we went with 275X70X22.5 and it gave us better ride(softer, not as harsh) and handling.. If you have room in the wheel wells and your rims are big enough(wide, and duall spacing in the rear) you might want to check that out.. I know they're more money, but we felt they were/are worth it.. Just thought I'd throw that out there..
We went with Goodyear G670s, at the time the price was right and the dealer was close.. So far they're doing fine after 20 some thousands miles.. I do run more air in the front than needed, 95# instead of 85#..
Mike..

2003 Holiday Rambler Neptune 36 PBD - ISB 300 Cummins- Allison MH2000 5 speed
2013 Equinox w/Blue Ox Aventa II & SMI Stay-n-Play Duo
FMCA 331658 HRRVC 105155 Chapter - 57- Good Sam Life Member - Coach Net - 3/4 timers
Mike & Sharon

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/21/09 10:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

slick60 wrote:

If you can make a choice from this wide array of replies you probably could have made the decision on your own. Good Luck and Safe Travels.

Seems like huh.........

But I do value others experience.

I have placed 141 thousand miles on Michelins on my Pick up with out a speck of troubles, but none of the 3 sets ever got over 6 years old either.

My thoughts on coach tires, I do not understand why a truck tire will not work on the M/H, the Newmar is a heavy coach, it should ride OK

All of the major tire companies are buying their compounds from external sources off shore, due to our EPA regulations.

Cooper is another brand sold around here, any thought about them?

I'll be looking today to see what is available and pricing close by.

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JK toad.

The Texan

Cascade, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/09 10:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cooper has an excellent reputation, just not as many service centers in case of a problem. That is why I recommend either Hankook or Toyo, as almost every town in America, that has a truck tire shop, can and will service them.

Bob & Betsy(FishNFanatic) - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"
'05 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, 400 Cummins-Pulling our '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2010 Rzr or 2007 Grizzly 450 in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Tom_Anderson

Concord, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/21/09 12:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tom/Barb wrote:

From the G/Y site..... Seems like the same tire.

Unisteel® G670 RV®
HELPS PROVIDE SUPERB PERFORMANCE AND HANDLING
The Goodyear Unisteel® G670 RV® has technology that helps guard against the effects of ozone and UV rays.

Anti-oxidant and anti-ozonant compounds throughout the tire help protect against weather cracking. In fact, the G670 RV is so effective, it’s backed by a 4-Year Limited Warranty.*
G670 RV
Features
Anti-oxidant and anti-ozonant compounds help guard against weather cracking
Rubber compounds enhance traction and improve treadwear
Circumferential grooves enhance wet traction
High-technology belt system enhances ride
Tread pattern produces lower heat, enhanced strength and reduces squirm for enhanced handling
Fuel-efficient casing helps to increase fuel economy
Load Inflation Tables | Warranty | Size Conversion Char

I have to wonder why Goodyear wouldn't want their truck tires to have enhanced traction, improved treadwear, lower heat, enhanced strength, better fuel economy, etc. Why only make RV tires this way?

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/21/09 03:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tom_Anderson wrote:

I have to wonder why Goodyear wouldn't want their truck tires to have enhanced traction, improved treadwear, lower heat, enhanced strength, better fuel economy, etc. Why only make RV tires this way?

Barb and I went tire shopping today, talked to the regional Michelin tire center and they do not believe there is any difference between a truck tire and a M/H tire other than advertising hype, and the price tag.
Spartan chassis does not believe there is any difference between a drive tire and a steer tire other than tread design. (traction vs ribbed) and the RV tire is a ply rating below the truck tire.

The consensus between all the dealers and Freightliner/spartan is the truck tire will have more tread, and will be more prone to stone boring, and make more noise than the RV tire.

Here is the pricing we found for 6 tires mounted, tax, and balanced

Les Schwab
Mich= $3415
Bridgestone = $2981
Toyo = $2929
Chinese cheapo = $2019

Pacific Tire - (Michelin tire warehouse)
Mich = $ 3410
BFGs + $ 3156

Meridan tire in Belingham
sumo = $2115

Camping world
Goodyear G670 =3437. after discount

Tire Factory
G-670 = $2967

Precision tire
G670 $3150

Just Bob

SD/CT/FL/WY

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/09 03:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

texasbaskets wrote:

comnthru wrote:

Hancook makes a great tire. Well recommended. Priced well.

Double Coin is another brand I would buy as well.

I replaced 6 - 5 year old XRV's with 20,000 miles on them to XZE's and yes, the ride is more harsh, but, I bought Michelin's because they were honoring a warranty claim, not because I thought they were the best value for me.

My next tire replacement will be new tires of a good brand on the steer axle and Bandags on the drive axle.

Please tell me you're NOT going to put recapped tires on your motor home.

PF&PM

Lethbridge, Alberta

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/21/09 05:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We replaced our 235 80 22.5 XRV's that split (all six) at 25K miles with 255 70 22.5 Continentals. A little more than half the price of Michelins.. We just put 1900 miles on the new tires and have no complaints.

2005 Newmar 34' Kountry Star, 8.1L W22, Blue Ox 10K, Honda Pilot, Bijon Shitzu (Sassy) dash dog, Two teenage boys..we get around ! Nine Provinces, Two Territories, 47 States, Northern Mexico... so far..

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Class A tires
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS