Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Air Deflectors?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Air Deflectors?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
hard3

southern Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/10 07:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has anyone experimented with any type of air deflectors to change the turbulence between the cab-over and the roof of the truck? My f250 super cab has a bad problem with the wind forcing the door gap open . does not seem to be a problem unless camper is on. I was thinking of some sort of deflector to redirect the air stream to go around instead of under the gap. Any ideas? Maybe a trim tab like device under overhang ?

shanty66

mastic n.y.

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/10 07:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do a search and you will find some god ideas, they are out there. Enjoy--LOUIE

bobndot

NY

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/10 07:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think sleepy has one under his cabover. If i remember right, its a nice neat looking air deflector . im sure you'll hear from him when he awakens.

TheLesserest

Anywhere

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/10 07:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I went and checked out a truck camper at a campground and the guy had the neat idea of getting an air mattress and folded the corners in before he blew it up, thus making an arrow shape. Placed it between the roof and cabover and he said he got 1-2 more mpg. doesn't sound much but over long distances it adds up. I suppose if you have a big space, you can have two of them together.

TheLesserest (Less)

Jayson. A Future Truck Camper!

SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/10 08:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had thought of mounting a fifth wheel air deflector on the roof of my truck, since my east-west cabover didn't extend the whole length of the roof of my crew cab truck. I never tried the idea though.

On another truck and camper, I had one of those air bags between the roof and camper. All it did was rub the paint off the roof of the truck and then it popped when I hit a big bump that was it for the air bladder.

Pop used to run a thick piece of mattress foam between the back of the cab and camper, with a hole cut out to match the openings of both sliding windows. The foam worked good at keeping the wind out. It did get water soaked in the rain though. A vynal or other waterproof material covered foam would have been better. It did rub the paint off the back of the cab a bit though.

05E350 6.0PSD
97F350DRW 7.3PSD 4x4 4.10 11' flatbed
98Ranger
69Bronco ATC250R CR500
20' BigTex flatbed carhauler
Callen Camper

92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6
B&W TurnoverBall, Curt Magnum V
HD Springs Bilsteins,
285/75-16E BFG AT on 16x8 Stocktons
4.56's & LockRite rear

wayward1

rockbridge, ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/10 08:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hard3,
Do you have vent shades over your windows? Seemed to help with my f350 CC

Rick and Kristi (KNR)

billtex

RI

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/10 08:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Thule rack with deflector that we use for kayaks, etc when towing the AS. I have not tried it with the TC on but plan to next month when I take the TC out of hibernation.
I am thinking of just the front Thule bar with deflector might do the job if I put it far enough forward on my cab.

Stay tuned...

Bill

2006 Chevy D/A CC
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

hard3

southern Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/10 08:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm thinking of some sort of tabs mounted to the overhang to deflect the air around to the sides instead of in between the roof and cabover. Something similar to trim tabs on a boat.

sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/10 03:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Everything you might want to know about the airfoil

It's almost impossible to find in the TC University... the title needs to be changed and attributed to me. The person that put it in the TCU wasn't too impressed with it.

The more than 60 people that have made them and installed them by and large swear by them.

I'm in the latter group.

If you have a question I'll be glad to answer AFTER you've read the * pages in the thread that you click on here.

Sleepy

2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/10 03:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The airfoils in the last 2 pictures above were for a extended cab truck.

The assembly is similar... the cross piece isn't needed on a crew cab.

The front on a crew cab truck is about 22 inches accross instead of being so pointed.

sleepy

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Air Deflectors?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS