Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: decals on a Montana

Posted By: salton8 on 02/23/10 02:13pm

We own a 2008 Montana (Keystone) 5th wheel. Just after the first year the decals on one side of the unit cracked very badly. As it wasnt under warranty anymore and extended warranty did not pay for it Keystone supplied us with new decals but we had to pay the labor. Now the new decals are cracking, the original ones on the front and the other side are cracking too. The decals were lovingly looked after - no pressure washing of them. Now no one wants to talk to us, Keystone or the decal company. Any ideas on what to do.
We just saw another Montana on the road with its decals all curled up too.

Posted By: BB_TX on 02/23/10 03:01pm

Seems to be pretty random. Our '07 Montana decals look like new as do many others even older, while some others crack and curl. Different decal manufacturers maybe?
And it is not limited to Montana. There have been other posts on here of other different brands doing the same thing. Don't know the answer.

Posted By: pulsar on 02/23/10 03:31pm

Moved from Forum Technical Support.

Posted By: donn0128 on 02/23/10 04:25pm

Either take them off yourself or pay to have them removed and find a good body shop that will paint them on for you. Last of that aggravation.

Don,Lorri,Max (The Rescue Flat Coat Retriever?)
The Other Dallas

Posted By: dezolen on 02/23/10 05:00pm

It seems every Montana I have ever seen has badly faded graphics within a few years. Never looked close enough to see if they were cracked as well.

Posted By: rcharles on 02/23/10 05:31pm

The Montana decal on my 07 Mountaineer front cap was peeling. They sent me a free replacement two weeks ago. No questions ask!! All they wanted was pics of peeling decals and manufacture date.

Replacement contact info:
Burlington graphics
Ph: 262.554.8808 ext: 1120(Kristin)

Posted By: indyroadrunner on 02/24/10 01:40pm

I find this to be interesting as I have heard and seen several compliants involving all brands of the graphics problem. Mine is an 06 3400RL and no problems what so ever. I even do the unthinkable thing and wax the nose section and still not peeling or cracking. Must have been a good set installed on mine. I would surely get ahold of Burlington especially if only a couple of years old.

06 3400RL Montana w/Trail Air King Pin
01 Bichon CEO

TopSail Hill Preserve cult member Now member of St Andrews SP Cult

Posted By: bobbert on 02/24/10 12:31pm

If you go to Montanaowners.com theycan tell you who to contact and how to do it
bob

Posted By: Biggziff on 02/24/10 12:53pm

I believe what may be happening is that the decal material is shrinking which leads to the cracking and peeling. It's just because the material used is sub-par (cheaper) than good vinyl. Sunlight, temperature swings, etc will have an effect.

Me and my 3 girls
2013 Cougar 293SAB
2011 F350 CC SWB 6.7

Posted By: richfaa on 02/24/10 06:41am

The graphics on our 06 3400 Montana are not peeling or cracking. We have seen Montana's several years old with good graphics and Montana's a few months old with bad graphics as well as other Brands. We have attended seminars by Burlington Graphics the manufacturer of the Keystone graphics as well as many other brands at our Montana fall Rally. They are well aware of the issue and it seems every year they try a different material or different glue and still have the problem. They also explain in detail the care and maint of the graphics. I would suggest a call to Burlinton Graphics. Explain you issue and see what happens.. Perhaps ask them to send a copy of the Care and Maint procedures..

2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky. 08 Ford F-350 6.4L

Posted By: Ford Man on 02/24/10 02:14pm

Montana knows they have a problem with this issue. On the new 2009 Hickory Edition and the 2010 odels they now have a better adhesive and a 3 year warrantee on the decals. Montana Owners website says do not wax the decals or against them the wax will penetrate the glue. I am taking that advise on the 2010 Montana.

Posted By: The Weekenders on 02/23/10 06:20pm

salton8 wrote:

We own a 2008 Montana (Keystone) 5th wheel. Just after the first year the decals on one side of the unit cracked very badly. As it wasnt under warranty anymore and extended warranty did not pay for it Keystone supplied us with new decals but we had to pay the labor. Now the new decals are cracking, the original ones on the front and the other side are cracking too. The decals were lovingly looked after - no pressure washing of them. Now no one wants to talk to us, Keystone or the decal company. Any ideas on what to do.
We just saw another Montana on the road with its decals all curled up too.

Ours cracked too on our 08 3585SA on the passenger side right below the "mountain" scene. Replaced under warranty in September of 09, I noticed the other day the new decal is cracking now too. All the other decals seem fine. I am just going to leave it and see if gets any worse.

Every meal is a feast, everyday is a parade and every paycheck is a fortune!
Spring is coming soon as well Minnesota Twins spring training
Rick & Sheila's RVing Album
Rick's Facebook
2004 Ford F350 6.0PSD
2008 Keystone Montana 3585SA

Posted By: Mile High on 02/24/10 01:58pm

I did have a little trouble with our last one that was parked outside - the graphics would peal and the melting snow would fill the gaps, freeze, and make it worse. The snow practially pushed the graphics off the front when it melts and slides off.

The UV at this altitude combined with dry air causes them to shrink as well. My current one has not had any problems but it is inside. I've seen the same year Montys with terrible graphic issues.

Bottom line, the vinyl is junk. The body shop replaced a piece of mine for another issue and laughed when he received it. He said he didn't think he could buy any that would match the poor quality of what was sent from Keystone.

Posted By: fishinrgv on 02/24/10 04:27am

same problem here on my 08 3400RL. The "Montana" on the nose/front cap of the 5er is now starting to peel. Never has there been any high pressure water or wax on the decals. Really chaps my rear end.

Geaux Tigers...1958,2003 (I attended that game,) 2007, football National Champs
91 93 96 97 00 09 CWS Champs

09 Chevy Crew Cab Duramax DRW 4x4
08 Montana 3400RL 10th Anniversary Edition.
04 Harley Davidson Fatboy in LSU colors!!!
12 VW Passat SEL diesel

Posted By: ol Bombero-JC on 08/26/10 05:55pm

modelaford1929 wrote:

bandclamp wrote:

Here is a quote from a Keystone peeling graphics post on: http://www.roamingtimes.com/rvreports/7/keystone-montana-mountaineer-fifth-wheel.aspx

Quote: Burlington graphics, is also adding another 50.00 on top of the price of decals for shipping!!!!!!.They are NOT HONOURING their 4 year warranty!!!!! Anyone interested in following up with a class-action suit, E-mail billnmar@mts.net End Quote

Keystone Owners: Let's keep up pressure on these companies to provide financial relief for an obvious defect that they have turned their backs upon!

Yes, class action! What a friggan joke. Have been involved in a couple of these and the sleesebag attorney gets Millions of $$$ and customer gets $3.98 lol big joke and $$ maker for sleesebag!

Modelaford got that right !!

Class Action lawsuits benefit *NO ONE* . . . .except the attorney who files the suit!

Total farce!

Remove the decals, leave it blank -or- any graphics company can make custom decals to YOUR design.

~

Posted By: grey`eagle on 04/23/10 01:23pm

The Montana's are not the units that are having trouble. A lot of the problem has to do with UV in addition to continuous heat in the summer months.

Our Crossroads Cruiser has some of the same problems and it's parked under an open shed type building.

See the comments from those that are taking care of the problem themselves on the
Crossroads Forum

'04 F-250 PSD TV
'04 CF28CK Cruiser

Now enjoying mother earth at ground level and one mile per minute.

Posted By: woodburner on 02/24/10 05:02pm

What if any, is the common denominator? Are Montana owners with the issue using wax on the decal, or something else? I use Protect all on ours and the decals look like new. Just curious if there is a product to avoid that's causing this.

TIFFIN ALLEGRO 34TGA

Posted By: richfaa on 02/24/10 05:07pm

Just my opinion.. makes no sense that some never have a problem and others do in a few months. We have been to the factory. We have observed the station on the line where the graphics are put on. The graphics are hanging on huge rolls and the station is just out in the open on the line. IMO the problem is in how they are installed and the care in installation rather than cheap graphics or glue..Be that the case why don't they all peel. Fading IMO is another issue

Posted By: cuzbcuz on 04/29/10 06:20pm

Picked our 08 2980rl up last fall and within 1 month front decal was
peeling. It was covered under the warranty. Our previous 5er had major
issues with decals on front, finally just peeled them off and cleaned
glue residue and thought it looked great. I like my decals on our montana but if they peel or crack I might just clean and leave white.

Rick,Shauna, Chemo, Kato (our puppies)
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 DWR
2009 Montana 2980rl 10th anniversy edition
1985 20' invader cuddy

Posted By: one_strange_texan on 08/25/10 08:45pm

My experience with Burlington is that the graphics themselves are free if they are in stock. If they have to set up to make them, there is a charge, but I would characterize the amount as something I would pay without thinking in other cases (for instance, at a restaurant for a family meal or for 2 nights of camping at an RV park).

The real expense comes for the labor to remove the old and apply the new.

Again, just my personal experience.

one_strange_texan
Beaumont, TX
2005 Montana 3295RK
2004 Dodge Diesel 2500 4WD

Posted By: bandclamp on 08/25/10 07:11am

Here is a quote from a Keystone peeling graphics post on: http://www.roamingtimes.com/rvreports/7/keystone-montana-mountaineer-fifth-wheel.aspx

Quote: Burlington graphics, is also adding another 50.00 on top of the price of decals for shipping!!!!!!.They are NOT HONOURING their 4 year warranty!!!!! Anyone interested in following up with a class-action suit, E-mail billnmar@mts.net End Quote

Keystone Owners: Let's keep up pressure on these companies to provide financial relief for an obvious defect that they have turned their backs upon!

Posted By: cbenn on 04/23/10 12:00pm

I have an o8 Grand Junction and the graphics are just like new, BUT... I am looking at getting them taken off and maybe paint something on the 5er that I like, in fact I have seen a few without them and thought it looked ok, I think if the maufactures had someone calling them up and telling them their graphics were peeling and comming off that the dealler/manufacture would do anything they could to get them replaced as that is "FREE" advertizing for them.

Posted By: up2nogood on 04/23/10 12:19pm

cbenn wrote:

I have an o8 Grand Junction and the graphics are just like new, BUT... I am looking at getting them taken off and maybe paint something on the 5er that I like, in fact I have seen a few without them and thought it looked ok, I think if the maufactures had someone calling them up and telling them their graphics were peeling and comming off that the dealler/manufacture would do anything they could to get them replaced as that is "FREE" advertizing for them.

I have a 2008 Montana, and the front graphics went bad I removed the Montana logo, and part of the mountain scene, does not look too bad, now the rest of the mountain scene is peeling after sitting all winter, I have a new set from Keystone, can't decide whether to just remove the rest and leave it bare, as you said it does not look bad or replace them with the new ones that I have, but I am afraid unless I cover in the winter, they to will peel. I believe air brushing would be nice, but the cost would probably be more than its worth. For now I will leave it bare, I can always put on the new ones. The sides look like new, the back is starting to peel a little.

Posted By: Brad NSW on 04/27/10 10:12pm

Just took off the Montana sticker on my front cap of my 09! It was peeling around the edges and looked terrible. It got full sun but it's only a year old! Figured I'd scrape it off and quit advertising for a company that can't get the name on w/quality graphics. Came off pretty easy and looks great.

All the other stickers (sides and mountains) look great

USN Ret. 03Ram3500, 5.9CTD, 5spd, SRW, ATS filter, S&B Intake, IssPro (Pyro, Boost, Fuel, Trans & R Dif) SMARTY SR, Prodigy Controller, AirDog 100. 09Montana 3665RE 5er, 6 TST Tire monitors. Pakbrake Ex brake & airbags, 12' Baltik inflatable w/3.3HP OBM

Posted By: modelaford1929 on 08/25/10 07:46am

bandclamp wrote:

Yes, class action! What a friggan joke. Have been involved in a couple of these and the sleesebag attorney gets Millions of $$$ and customer gets $3.98 lol big joke and $$ maker for sleesebag!

Posted By: LI Happy Camper on 02/24/10 02:57pm

I read that if you use wax or a wash and wax on the decals that causes them to crack and roll up.

2014 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
2011 Ford F-350 6.7 Crew Cab DRW Golden Bronze Metallic
Reese 20K fifth wheel hitch
Firestone ride rite airbags

Posted By: dapperdan on 04/29/10 06:47pm

I can relate to those with troubles. When my wife and I first looked at the unit we ended up getting last november, at that time the front decal was pealing badly. The dealer said he would replace it and he did. Our trailer sat out all winter (I believe) and we have no issues yet. We just picked it up last weekend. The sides look perfect. I hope we don't end up with more trouble.

Posted By: Monte1965 on 04/23/10 11:34am

Just talked to Burlington Graphics about my 2008 Montana. They sent me to their web site at burlingtongraphics.com. At the bottom is a link for Montana replacement graphics. Pick your model year and fill in the form for which ones you need. I was told there would be no charge for mine. Hope this helps.

Posted By: Jack Kansas on 08/26/10 04:07pm

The graphics on keystone are poor quailty. mine started peeling the second year, and it isnt in the sun most of the time.when i inquired about it with keystone customer service they acted like they didnt know it was a problem.
i told them there where 300 campers in our campgroud and alot of montanas, out of nine like mine six where peeling and four of the owners said they had contacted keystone and just got the runaround. i asked why was it all peeling except the lettering montana she said she would check into it and get back to me, never herd a thing. maybe it was when she said they had a lot of turnover in employees in her dept. i said thats because they cant find enough good liers.

Print  |  Close