Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 40 gallon gas water heater?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> 40 gallon gas water heater?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/10 04:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You probably have two heating elements. If the bottom element is burned out, then you are only get the top of the tank heated (the hot water will stay at the top of the tank since heat rises) Check for continuity in the lower unit.

robsouth

Metro-Atlanta, GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/10 07:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Horsedoc wrote:

You probably have two heating elements. If the bottom element is burned out, then you are only get the top of the tank heated (the hot water will stay at the top of the tank since heat rises) Check for continuity in the lower unit.

I did not realize that gas heaters had "elements". How do you check the continuity of a "gas" element?

"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

sfprop

San Francisco

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/10 07:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know something about this one! We have a big jacuzzi tub (55 gal. I think) that we put in during a remodel. We had a 10+ yr. old 40gal (they are only reliable for about 10 yrs.) so replaced it w/ new 50 gal. gas heater. Don't know the exact cost of install as it was part of remodel, but tank was $545@ Sears. Quick recovery time. No problem filling the tub w/ real hot water so that may be what you need. We turn the tank up 1/2 hr. before we need to fill the tub and down when we're done to save energy.

2006 Duramax Chev dually.
2008 Mobile Suites TKSB
Working toward "long timing".
http://mycitylife.wordpress.com

Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/10 08:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ooops ....missed the gas part.

J-mans Dad

SF Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/10 12:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd say replace the tank and add an on demand recirculating pump at the bathroom. 75' is long way to get hot water and not incur temperature loss. You're probably running a couple of gallons just to get the water hot at the tap, not to mention wasting water and btu's. Add an on demand pump something like this or this.
pumps the cold water from the hot water supply back into the cold water feed until the temp rises.

Doug4.7

Hartselle, AL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/10 08:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

J-mans Dad wrote:

I'd say replace the tank and add an on demand recirculating pump at the bathroom. 75' is long way to get hot water and not incur temperature loss. You're probably running a couple of gallons just to get the water hot at the tap, not to mention wasting water and btu's. Add an on demand pump something like this or this.
pumps the cold water from the hot water supply back into the cold water feed until the temp rises.
The problems I have with such units are two-fold. First, since the pipes recirculating the hot water are not insulated (or at least they are not in my house), you will lose a lot of BTUs along those long uninsulated lines (adding to your hot water costs). Second, if you do not have a separate line to return the water to the tank, all of your faucets will run hot/warm water on the cold side. You won't have any source of "cold" water.

Now if I were to build a new house, I would put in a third line and have the whole pipe run insulated. That way, I could have instant hot water at each faucet, not lose heat in those lines, and have cold water at the cold water tap.

AllisonAndrews

Stephenville, TX

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/10 03:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would go with the posted that suggested replacing the dip tube first. I bet you can buy one locally for around $20, or my first hit doing a search was this place: http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/pages/W......../OrderPages/XCart/Standard-dip-tube.html

It would probably also be a good time to drain you tank to flush out any sediment if you are going to be already working with it.

ALLISON & DAVID

Bailey - lab mix; Gabby - min pin
Nicolas, Mason, Vixen, Peyton, Morgan, & Sealy - the kitty klan
Preston - crossed the bridge 7/12/2006, Maddox (6/26/2003 - 7/12/2011)

J-mans Dad

SF Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/10 11:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doug,
The first suggestion is an on-demand pump. Only moves the cold water in the hot water feed to the cold water feed. (it's gonna be cold anyway) Even if you end up with warm water from the cold water feed, You've achieved the goal of getting warm water from the tap.
The second one is an on demand with a timer. Neither of these run continuously 24/7.
Now, if I could afford to build a house in the Bay Area, I'd put an on demand tankless water heater next to the bathroom and skip running the hot water feed all the way from the garage and only run a cold water line. But only in my dreams

Hurtin' Albertan

Wood Buffalo

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/10 02:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X3 on the dip tube. Had the same problem a few months ago. 10year old HWT and everything. If i'd known how easy it was, i'd have done it myself.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> 40 gallon gas water heater?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS