Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 2003 Workhorse ignition key cylinder removal
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> 2003 Workhorse ignition key cylinder removal

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
hhoward

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/10 09:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has anyone removed the key cylinder from a Workhorse chassis and if so how did you do it. I have to replace the turn signal switch on my 2003 Bounder and the only way to get to it is to remove the trim around the steering column. The top trim will not come off with the key cylinder installed. I looked on several web sites and could not find a procedure to remove the cylinder.

tarnold

georgia

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/10 11:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look up under the cylinder and see if there is a small hole without a screw in it that hold the covers on. If so get a long thin punch or a very small phillips head screw driver, turn your ignition key to the first position, stick the punch up the hole till it bottoms out, then a little harder, and pull on the key and the cylinder. Might have to wiggle as you remove.

Tara361

Denver, CO 80233

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/10 05:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have an 8.1 GM engine, then you probably have a GM steering column. I have just recently had an Ignition Switch burn up on my 2001 Flair. We initially thought it was the key cyclinder as the key would not turn. We tore the steering wheel down and found that in order to remove the key cyclinder there is a screw that has to be removed to get the cyclinder out. There was no hole to remove it like everyone is saying. If my memory serves me,when the Steering wheel off, you can get to the signal switch without taking out the key cyclinder.
Bob

Catty and Bob
2001 Flair 25F
Proud to be an American

Twomed

FL winters and then somewhere cool

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/10 04:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's the little hole on the face plate right by where you put the key in. Big paper clip straightened out works great.

Didn't everybody aways wonder what that little hole was?? Been on GM's since the '50s.

Happy Trails
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843

hhoward

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/10 12:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have looked for a hole to release the cylinder but to no avail. There must be some other method to remove it. Will have to contact Workhorse and ask for assistance.

2bzy2c

California

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/10 12:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ditto that ^

My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

bsinmich

Holland, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/10 05:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you go to the Workhorse website you can dowwnload the service manual and get the real scoop.

2003 Newmar Mountain Aire, Workhorse W22, 2008 Saturn Vue, Falcon 5250, & US Gear Unified Tow Brake

Tara361

Denver, CO 80233

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/10 06:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Folks
You say you can download service manuals from the Workhorse Web site? I have downloaded both chassis manuals but did not see a "Service manual" to download. They do not give this kind of specific information as to how to tear down a steering column. I do have the Service manuals and would be happy to help as they do break it down to specifics. Where do you find the service manuals to be downloaded in the Workhorse web site? This would save a few bucks as they were not cheap.
Bob

Tara361

Denver, CO 80233

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/10 06:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Again
I'm reading your thread again and am wondering why you have to take the trim off. When you remove the steering wheel and the plate under it, the turn signal switch and all that is right there. I'm confused
Bob

hhoward

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/10 01:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for response. I did find a way to move the top portion of the trim enough to get at the turn signal switch. On my Bounder the trim surrounds the steering column where the turn signal switch is located. The red button that activates the hazard lights protrudes through the trim. I see no way that the switch can be removed with the trim in place. I did rotate and lift the trim enough to get to the two screws holding the switch in place. BTW Tara361 I noticed in your post you replaced an ignition switch. I just added a 40 amp relay per Workhorse instructions to eliminate problem with ignition switch failure due to high amp draw through the switch. Hopefully you know about it. Try http://oemys-performance.com/media/WH%20Ignition%20Relay.pdf for more info.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> 2003 Workhorse ignition key cylinder removal
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS