cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Mountaineer 347THT Owners?

RK_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Picking my 2010 up soon. Plan on putting the Road King in the garage. I am wondering what others who have this model are doing to haul their bikes. Main questions are:

How did you outfit it with a chock?
Are the tie-down points good enough?
Any issues with loading or unloading the bike on the 2 piece ramp?

Thanks for sharing any tricks you've learned and anything to watch out for.
Greg & Roxane
2010 Mountaineer 347THT Toyhauler
2002 F250 7.3 SRW CC LB Tow and Camper Package
2002 Harley Road King
260 REPLIES 260

scottkeen
Explorer
Explorer
navspecwarops wrote:
Yes, driver side. Curb and street are frequently used terms. It’s hard to see with the slide in. I just feel for it.

Someone else said that they looked and looked for their Galley tank T-handle on the 347THT, and found out the handle was gone. Like it fell off or broke off.

I wonder if that's what happened to mine.

When I go to the RV storage lot this weekend, I'll have to see if it's there or missing. I hope I don't have to run a new pushrod, gate valve, and handle.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 QC LB DRW Laramie 6.7L -- Patriot Blue!
2011 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 347THT
2008 Suzuki SV650
2011 German Shepherd Dog

navspecwarops
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, driver side. Curb and street are frequently used terms. It’s hard to see with the slide in. I just feel for it.
Bob and Jeanie Morrow
2011 Ford F250 4X4 King Ranch
16K Pullrite Superglide
2012 Mountaineer 347THT
2014 BMW K1600GTLE

scottkeen
Explorer
Explorer
navspecwarops wrote:
Galley dump is on street side behind rear axle. Right about where the slide separates. I have to grab it with my left hand.

Thanks, I swear I looked there, but I'll go to the RV storage lot and check again.

"Street side" = Drivers side?
2008 Suzuki SV650
2011 German Shepherd Dog

navspecwarops
Explorer
Explorer
Galley dump is on street side behind rear axle. Right about where the slide separates. I have to grab it with my left hand.
Bob and Jeanie Morrow
16K Pullrite Superglide
2012 Mountaineer 347THT
2014 BMW K1600GTLE

scottkeen
Explorer
Explorer
Just took my 2011 Montana Mountaineer 347THT for the first time. Made many mistakes, have many questions. I'll just start with this:

Q: Where is the Galley tank T-handle dump valve?
The Gray tank and Black tank T-handles are side-by-side in the hook-up compartment. I looked everywhere under the trailer for the Galley tank T-handle. Is it combined with the Gray tank T-handle? Is there actually a separate Galley tank?
2008 Suzuki SV650
2011 German Shepherd Dog

scottkeen
Explorer
Explorer
Leather Euro Recliners and Ottoman...

I think this was an option when buying a 347THT.

Can someone with the Euro recliner and ottoman option let me know the approx size and weight?

I might be able to buy one, but it's going to have to be shipped so I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the shipping cost.

Thanks!
2008 Suzuki SV650
2011 German Shepherd Dog

scottkeen
Explorer
Explorer
On a separate topic...

Is there a simple way to make the loading ramp into a "party deck"? I don't party, but a fenced or gated deck that was level with the rest of the rig would help improve the view out the rear plus give my dog a good safe place to hangout outside.
2008 Suzuki SV650
2011 German Shepherd Dog

navspecwarops
Explorer
Explorer
The spare tire is up against the undercarriage toward the rear of the trailer. Nearly directly beneath the garage. There is a lowering crank device on the curb side located behind the rear axle and before the back steps. This is similar to the spare set up under the bed of most full size pick-ups. The trailer might have a spare up there but at any rate, I believe the mechanism is standard equipment.

You're correct on the age of the tires. They are two years old so probably old stock as you suggest.

You don't need the water running to smell the black tank. Just open the toilet valve with the water off. If nothing major or overwhelming comes through you should be good. I noticed you are in VA so with the freezing temps you might not be able to smell anything anyway.

There are/were a couple of people on this forum that happily full time in this rig. We don't but one of the drawbacks for us when we're out for weeks at a time is there are no decent outdoor viewing windows on the curb side or back as you might see on more residential floorplans. We replaced the couch with two powered recliners pretty early on but there isn't much of a view unless the entry door is open. I took the screen door to a local glass shop and had them cut two Lexan panes that fit inside the lip on the top and bottom of the screen door(screen still in) I can quickly install so we can leave it open when it's brisk. My wife really likes that modification.
Bob and Jeanie Morrow
16K Pullrite Superglide
2012 Mountaineer 347THT
2014 BMW K1600GTLE

scottkeen
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks!!!

navspecwarops wrote:
What year model are you purchasing?

navspecwarops wrote:
Any idea how many miles are on it and what it was used for?

No, and don't know. I asked. Dealer doesn't know, they took it on a trade.

navspecwarops wrote:
Did they routinely have a heavy motorcycle in the back?

No motorcycle, I don't think so and dealer doesn't think so either. The garage has a curtain over the ramp door and the previous owner put the carpet (removable) over the D-ring floor area and put the dinette set in there. I think they used the garage as their dining room. They put a recliner in the living room where the dinette goes. I don't think they used it as a toy hauler.

navspecwarops wrote:
Did you ever figure out what that modification was in the front compartment?

I was told on the Montana Owners Club forum that all Montana front compartments look like the pic I posted. Most of them said they either put an aluminum plate or plywood in the space to make it usable storage if I don't put a generator in there. I'm planning in the future to rig up a solar controller charger and bank of batteries in there. I'm planning to go with (2) Honda EU2000 portable generators with 30A outlet when used in tandem.

navspecwarops wrote:
Our spare that came with it is a regular steel trailer wheel. We had a good experience with Good Sam Roadside so if you're planning some long trips in remote areas, I think it's worth the investment.

Thanks! I will get both a spare wheel/tire -- probably the cheapest one I can find -- and the Good Sam Roadside Assistance. Where does the spare wheel/tire attach?

navspecwarops wrote:
I'd check the age of the tires

The dealer installed new tires. The DOT date stamp is "5215" which I think equates to "the last week of December 2015". New tires, but 2 years old (dealer new old stock?)

navspecwarops wrote:
last time the bearings were repacked, age and condition of the battery, condition of the roof, and take a whiff of the black tank through the open toilet and front galley tank through the left side kitchen sink to ensure they have been properly maintained.

Will do!
Might be hard to get a whiff of the black tank through the toilet, as the dealer has winterized the rig and there's pink antifreeze in the plumbing.

Thanks very much!
2008 Suzuki SV650
2011 German Shepherd Dog

navspecwarops
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations! What year model are you purchasing? Any idea how many miles are on it and what it was used for? Did they routinely have a heavy motorcycle in the back? Did you ever figure out what that modification was in the front compartment? We have the Onan 6.5KV Propane Generator in that spot.

Having a spare tire depends on how long(miles) of trips you plan to take away from civilization and if you will be very diligent in maintaining your tires at correct pressures as well as replacing them every couple of years.(Trailer tires have a one year warranty, not based on mileage.) When this rig is loaded to maximum gross, one is pushing the limit of the axle capacity. I have gone to 8K leaf springs and higher weight rated tires as we do routinely carry a big touring bike in the back. We have Good Sam Roadside and had a blowout a couple years ago. They came out and efficiently changed to the spare so we could go another 65 miles to next town that had a decent tire shop. The tow company can bring out a tire to sell to you and change it at their emergency price point. However, some require taking the wheel back to their shop and putting on a new tire while your rig sits on the side of the road. I would recommend you carry the spare. Since the spare carrier is up underneath you can get any steel wheel the correct size with the correct tire for the short amount of time you'll have it on the rig. I suspect any RV boneyard would have something as it's a common 16 inch size. Our spare that came with it is a regular steel trailer wheel. We had a good experience with Good Sam Roadside so if you're planning some long trips in remote areas, I think it's worth the investment.

As for the rig itself, I'd check the age of the tires, there is a date on them, last time the bearings were repacked, age and condition of the battery, condition of the roof, and take a whiff of the black tank through the open toilet and front galley tank through the left side kitchen sink to ensure they have been properly maintained. New tires and a battery are not a big cost to a dealer and won't break the sale if you don't like what you see. They stopped making this particular model in 2012 but I still have mine, highly modified, and we use it quite a bit. If you have any specific questions, fire away.
Bob and Jeanie Morrow
16K Pullrite Superglide
2012 Mountaineer 347THT
2014 BMW K1600GTLE

scottkeen
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know what is the brand and model of the wheel? There's no spare wheel/tire included with the used 347THT I'm buying.

Or do you just get the cheapest spare wheel/tire you can find so you can hobble to where you need to go?

Or do you just get Good Sam roadside assistance and skip on the weight of the spare wheel/tire?

Here's what I have. Do you know what is the brand and model of the wheel?

2008 Suzuki SV650
2011 German Shepherd Dog

scottkeen
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone, just wanted to say I've made the deal with the dealer to buy a 2011 Montana Mountaineer 347THT !!! I'm picking it up in 2 weeks. I'm gonna give it a final inspection before I hand over the $$$. Anything I should look out for?
2008 Suzuki SV650
2011 German Shepherd Dog

scottkeen
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone, I just went and looked at my first 347THT in person yesterday and the layout for me is PERFECT! Can't wait to get a 347THT!

So, the one I looked at appeared to be in really good condition. But one thing really caught my eye, the front bay where a generator would normally go.

Does this look right? It lookes like someone cut out the floor and the belly looks like it was tack-welded back on.

What's going on here?

2008 Suzuki SV650
2011 German Shepherd Dog

996Pilot
Explorer
Explorer
RK Hauler wrote:
Hey Darrell, thanks for checking into the info on the D-rings - it's good to know. Glad to hear you got a 347THT too! I'm thinking I'll end up with a Condor chock. Heck I tried the other day to get the bike into the HF chock and that thing wouldn't ride up over the back flip-thing. Probably didn't help that it wasn't bolted onto anything, but I'm also a little concerned when that back end does flip up it's going to hit the bottom of the front fender on the RK. Oh well, should've done it right the first time.

I use one of the HF chocks for my FLHRCI and it works fine. Yes it comes very close to the back of the front fender but it clears by about 1/2". I can ride up on it and just get off the bike - the chock holds it upright by the front wheel and it's quite secure. I've towed twice from San Diego to Durango round trip and some of I-40 is so badly rutted I thought the trailer was going to fall apart - no problems with the chock.
2018 Arctic Fox 811
2015 RAM 3500 SRW Laramie Longhorn 6.7 Cummins 68RFE Timbren SES, Lower Stableloads
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie 5.9 Cummins 48RE TRADED
2006 Outfitter Apex 8 TRADED