Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: One more questions for our Florida itinerary...the route.

Posted By: David and Deb on 03/28/10 09:46am

Coming from Oklahoma, we will be driving on I-10, then 75, then Florida Turnpike. We are thinking of taking highway 27 just south of Lake Harris through central Florida to our campground, Markham Park, near Sunrise, Florida.

We will them be heading to Bahia Honda State Park (our second campground) in the Keys and plan to take 27 to 997 all the way to Homestead. Then HWY 1 to Bahia Honda.

We realize this is a more scenic route and off the turnpikes and interstate system, but is it a good road to take? Rough roads? Lots of stops for towns? Slow driving?

On the route from Key Largo (our 3rd campground)to Sanibel Island, is it best to go up to 75 (alligator alley) and over to the Ft. Myers area or 41 (Tamiami Trail)over? Same questions about good road? I know its a 2 lane road, is is slow driving? Rough roads? Lots of stops?

Thanks for any advice you are willing to give us as we make our final plans. MUCH appreciated!!!

David and Deb, plus our border collie, Sadie.

Posted By: crawford on 03/28/10 10:01am

I'll say 1 thing Florida Turnpike TOLLS'TOLL's,TOLL'S If you find another route do it, but if you don't mind them go for it.

Posted By: Doug and Cassi Glass on 03/28/10 01:57pm

Just did 41 from the Keys last Friday. Good road, little traffic, lots of gators in the side ditches and very scenic. I-75 is just another freeway, boring.

If you haven't been to Lazy Days RV outside Tampa in Seffner, well worth the stop. An example of its size; they have 273 service bays! Nice campghround and if you stay, free breakfast and lunch every day. A great side note: The salesmen DO NOT bother you. All rigs unlocked for your viewing pleasure.

Posted By: avan on 03/28/10 10:02am

David and Deb wrote:

...On the route from Key Largo (our 3rd campground)to Sanibel Island, is it best to go up to 75 (alligator alley) and over to the Ft. Myers area or 41 (Tamiami Trail)over? Same questions about good road? I know its a 2 lane road, is is slow driving? Rough roads? Lots of stops?

IMO, Tamiami Tr would be the preferred route, by far. Pros: No toll as opposed I-75, Good road, somewhat shorter for you, interesting drive as opposed to boring, boring drive on I-75. Cons: 2 lane (traffic usually moves just fine and there's not that much traffic but it only takes one. Lots of passing opportunities though if you're in the mind to pass with your rig)

Take US41 to the east side of Naples and turn right (North) on State Rt 951 (traffic light with CVS on NE corner and Walgreens on the SW corner); go north on 951 @ 8 miles and reconnect with I-75 (MM 101) north to your exit for Sanibel. You could take 41 all the way north to Sanibel but most of that would be slow city type driving.

I'm not much of a fan US 27 through central FL but have only done it once so I'll let someone more familiar with that comment on it.

Posted By: trop-a-cal on 03/28/10 10:06am

75 back from the Keys is best for Sanibel, as 41 is real slow. The 27 hwy is going to be OK but figure 45 MPH average for calculating time. Florida has a 511 traffic system you can use, by just dialing in or go on site, and/or set up a travel profile. Your profile can include all your routes and then you will get just that data. It will allow you out of it, for other roads, but saves much time as you aren't asked all the questions. Just say traffic and it will detail all points between your start and finish profile in both direction, after you set it up. It identifies you by your cell phone number. Don't forget Gasbuddy has fuel prices also all over with locations on maps with prices.

Posted By: Roadpilot on 03/28/10 10:15am

Another vote for 41 across FL. The speed averages 60 mph and the scenery is great. 75 is fast but boring. 41 is a good road and at times they'll go faster then you might like.

As far as the northern part of your route, when you first get off the pike and head down 27, they'll be traffic and lights until below Avon Park. From there on it's an interesting drive. If you want to get to Sunrise fast I'd take 10 to 75 to Sunrise. Your route from Sunrise to the Keys is the best.

2006 Millennium Prevost
2013 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Black Diamond
2009 HD Electra Glide CVO Screaming Eagle - mine
2009 Yamaha VStar950 - DW
Cruiser Caddie motorcycle lift

Posted By: jimandsue60 on 03/30/10 07:57am

Enjoy Sanibel, we are on the island till Mid May. We are finally starting to get the weather we came here for

Jim

2011 Mobile Suites 38 REPS, 2011 Chevy 3500 Dually. Click here to see our adventures
Our Photos

Posted By: David and Deb on 03/28/10 10:25pm

Great help, thanks! I've printed every reply out for my hubby who is my navigator : )

Posted By: David and Deb on 03/28/10 03:01pm

WOW!!! I asked this question right before the grandkids came over for their final sleep over before we leave for Florida so this is the first time I've had a chance to check back. I can't thank you enough for all the guidance for this trip as well as helping us newbies become more confident travelers. I'll post a trip report on my blog when I return.

Posted By: HeresLucy on 03/28/10 03:41pm

David and Deb wrote:

Coming from Oklahoma, we will be driving on I-10, then 75, then Florida Turnpike. We are thinking of taking highway 27 just south of Lake Harris through central Florida to our campground, Markham Park, near Sunrise, Florida.

When we are coming home from trips up north (We live about 6 miles south of Markham Park) we take I-75 til we get to Rt 80 - then go east on it. We always stop for an overnight @ Ortona South COE CG which is near LaBelle, FL and right off Rt. 80. Markham Park is about 90 miles from there. This would work for you too if you need an overnight about that time. If not, then I'd suggest you take the turnpike vs. coming down 27 as in central FL 27 is very, very slow -- lots of stop and go. You'll lose a lot of time. Once you get closer to Lake Ockeechobee (the big lake in center of state ) RT 27 is fine -- we take it home from Ortona. You can pick up I-75 off of it to get to Markham park.

Hope this helps.

Lucy

2006 Allegro Bus 40' DP
2005 Grand Cherokee

Posted By: johnbhicks on 03/28/10 04:16pm

Once you get past the Frostproof area 27 is ok although Sebring has invested heavily in traffic lights. And we greatly prefer 41 to 75 across South Florida. I think traffic can get pretty thick on 27 from east of Winter Haven northward but I haven't driven that way for several years.

When we went south last fall (from Tampa) we picked up 27 at West Frostproof, then SR 29 at Palmdale to 41; since you're going east you'd probably want to stay on 27.

There's not a whole lot down there, so when you first think you might want to stop for gas in a while stop for gas at the first opportunity, especially on US 41. Also gas on 41 is rather expensive.

It all depends on what sort of traveling you like. We prefer to take the slow road and arrive feeling as if we'd just gone out for a Sunday drive rather than the frenetic high-speed interstates even if it takes a few more hours to take the trip.

-C&J-
www.fugawetribe.com

Print  |  Close