Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Cummins ISC blow by issues
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Cummins ISC blow by issues

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
ticat900

canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/10 11:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oil blowby or carryover. Oil over the back of the coach and tow car. A lot of the issues in the last 18 months have been with 330 and 350 (less so 370). These engines increase oil flow and air flow significantly. Breather tube can fill up and blow oil out. It's recognized as a problem, and there have been updates to breather assemblies. The hardware is now there to take care of this issue. It's covered by warranty. Even if Pac Brake issue is involved, Cummins will honor it under its warranty, and work it out w/Pac Brake.

ANYONE know anything about this warrenty recall deal??
Thanks

tmmar

Nassau County, Long Island, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/05/10 06:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What year chassis are involved???

2014 40' Forest River Berkshire DP Bunkhouse

Lug_Nut

British Columbia, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/10 06:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Could the oil level have been over filled?

'07 Newmar Essex 45' ISM 500 4 slides

rdalcanto

Salt Lake City

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/05/10 07:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a Cummings campaign that effects the ISC, and the bigger engines. Campaign 0953. It includes ECM reprogramming and checking blowby pressure to look for defective valve seals that made there way into some engines. Nobody on the Tiffin network had an engine that failed, but unfortunately mine did. Most people are reporting 4-5 inches of blowby. Up to 11 is normal. Mine was 14. I had it checked today. They say replacing the bad seals will take a day, once they figure out how to get through my bedroom floor to the engine. As of right now, they can't figure out the access panel....

As a side note, my engine ran great, but they told me I will get better mileage and have more power once the repair is done.

faucet1

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/05/10 07:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is this a new Campaign for engine blowby? I have a 2002 Monaco Diplomat 330 ISC that blows oil out when the Exhaust Brake is used. I asked Cummins about it and was told that there was a Campaign, but it had expired. This was last fall(about September as I recall). What ever that campaign was.... involved the addition of a Crankcase Ventilation Recirculation Kit. What actually happened was somewhere about 2001 into 2002 Cummins relocated the Crankcase breather Tube in the side of the block in lieu of keeping it on top of the engine, and once there was any significant pressure buildup(i.e...when the exhaust brake is used) in the crankcase the oil goes out the breather tube now located on the side of the engine block. The recirculation kit was/is suppose to remedy that. But, as I said Cummins told me that the Campaign for that particular problem had expired. So, if there is a new campaign out there, it sure would be nice to have this problem fixed w/o having to pay the $250 they now want for the kit. Take care all.
David

2002 Monaco Diplomat 40 PST Triple Slide
Toad-88 Ford Mustang GT-Stick
David and Jean

rdalcanto

Salt Lake City

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/05/10 08:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This new campaign may be for a completely different problem with the newer engines. It is for bad valve seals. I'm not spraying any oil. I recommend you call Cummings and ask them.

faucet1

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/07/10 10:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That will relieve the problem of getting oil on the Toad and of course on the radiator fins of rear radiator units such as mine. I have been collecting the necessary materials to install an oil separator to drain the blowby oil back into the crankcase on my unit, but haven't actually fabricated it as yet. It only blows oil when I use the PAC Brake Retarder. Last summer when we took a run out to Yellowstone I used the gearing to slow my unit on steep grades, and lost very little oil versus using the PAC Brake Retarder. Apparently, when using a Jake Brake or PAC Brake Retarder, the back pressure is much greater in the crankcase than what is generated by using the gearing manually. It appeared to me that using the gearing versus the Retarder gave me just as much speed reduction on the steep grades. Go Figure.... In any event, good luck with your remedy.
David

SCOMP225

Brownsburg,Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/10 05:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just my 2 cents, but I don't think excessive blow-by is caused by valve guide seals. I would guess that ring seal or lack thereof would cause abnormal engine blow-by and applying the exhaust break would add to the cylinder pressure and blow -by the rings and increase the crankcase pressure which forces the oil mist out the puke tube. If it was my coach I would insist on a cylinder pressure test to determine if the ring package meets spec.I know on my Old 8.3C it pukes 2 oz of oil every 2000 miles or so and I run it hard under load all day long. The other issue with Motor Homes is they sit for months on end in all kinds of weather, so issues with leaks and hoses are not uncommon.
I have a Pac Break and I hardly ever use it, instead I gear down on the grades.
Here is how I measure blow-by oil.

* This post was edited 04/08/10 05:51am by SCOMP225 *

Chuck
1992 American Eagle

ticat900

canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/10 08:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

faucet1 wrote:

Is this a new Campaign for engine blowby? I have a 2002 Monaco Diplomat 330 ISC that blows oil out when the Exhaust Brake is used. I asked Cummins about it and was told that there was a Campaign, but it had expired. This was last fall(about September as I recall). What ever that campaign was.... involved the addition of a Crankcase Ventilation Recirculation Kit. What actually happened was somewhere about 2001 into 2002 Cummins relocated the Crankcase breather Tube in the side of the block in lieu of keeping it on top of the engine, and once there was any significant pressure buildup(i.e...when the exhaust brake is used) in the crankcase the oil goes out the breather tube now located on the side of the engine block. The recirculation kit was/is suppose to remedy that. But, as I said Cummins told me that the Campaign for that particular problem had expired. So, if there is a new campaign out there, it sure would be nice to have this problem fixed w/o having to pay the $250 they now want for the kit. Take care all.
David

thanks for the reply.I beleive you hit the nail on the head however looks like i got to buy the kit?which i dont mind doing if it fixes the probelm

ticat900

canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/10 08:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rdalcanto wrote:

There is a Cummings campaign that effects the ISC, and the bigger engines. Campaign 0953. It includes ECM reprogramming and checking blowby pressure to look for defective valve seals that made there way into some engines. Nobody on the Tiffin network had an engine that failed, but unfortunately mine did. Most people are reporting 4-5 inches of blowby. Up to 11 is normal. Mine was 14. I had it checked today. They say replacing the bad seals will take a day, once they figure out how to get through my bedroom floor to the engine. As of right now, they can't figure out the access panel....

As a side note, my engine ran great, but they told me I will get better mileage and have more power once the repair is done.

Interesting but I dont relate valve seals with blow by but thanks for the post

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Cummins ISC blow by issues
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS