Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Removing Wallpaper
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Removing Wallpaper

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
AZDesertRat

Phoenix AZ USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/28/10 09:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I might tag along here. My Shasta fifth wheel has the wallpaper coming down off the walls and what has not fallen is shrinking up so the edges and seams no longer meet. The luan plywood behind it is unfinished and rough so painting is not an option. I have temporarily glued some of the loose ends back up so I can use the RV but its all going to have to come off.
Does anyone know of a good wallpaper paste, glue or cement that can hold up to the heat of storing an RV in Arizona and a good wallpaper that won't shrink?

2006 Ford F-150 XLT Supercab
2006 Ragen FS2500 Toy Hauler
2006 Arctic Cat Prowler

dougwhite

Midland, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/26/10 07:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The fabric softener/water works fine on wall paper on drywall or wood walls in your stick and brick house, but the walls in your travel trailer are made from 1/8" luan plywood with a textured or not textured vinyl much like "contact paper on steroids".

It's manufactured using a high pressure/heat process to adhere it to the wall panels as they roll thru a press. If you attempt to remove it, you will also remove some of the wood with it. Believe me.........I've been there.

Research painting over vinyl wallpaper, which is similar, and I'm sure you'll find a viable solution.

* This post was edited 04/27/10 09:05pm by dougwhite *

Doug & Gail
Sebastion (Yorkie on steroids)
Prissy (Diva Yorkie-Pekingeese mix)
Midland, TX

HOOK 'EM HORNS!

TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/25/10 08:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Clean the wall paper to remove any oils, etc. Now paint the wall paper with Shielz. This will seal the wall paper and provide a good base coat for the paint. Now you can paint with any latex based paint.

Ken

Amateur Radio Operator.
2013 HitchHiker 38RLRSB Champagne, toted with a 2012, F350, 6.7L PSD, Crewcab, dually. 3.73 axle, Full Time RVer.
Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

debrick

Florence, KY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/26/10 02:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another vote for paint over the wallpaper---you can fix the scrunched area easily by sanding and patching if needed--then just clean the surface--use a primer such as kilz and paint--I've done it and it works great!!! Huge difference.

Wes Tausend

Bismarck, ND

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/10 07:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would seriously consider painting over the wallpaper instead of removal, too. At one time I fixed a lot of drywall surfaces that were damaged by paper removal. The wood panel under the TT paper should be more durable than drywall, but it still might leave a rough surface. It is hard to tell when non-textured wallpaper is merely painted over which is much simpler.

One other minor consideration: The vinyl surface provides some marginal barrier protection from dry vapor infiltration into the wall cavity where it condenses to water. In cool weather, this problem is magnified in campers because the same vapor from ordinary living is released into a much smaller dwelling and attracted by cool walls. The wrinkled wallpaper around the aluminum window frames is likely been caused by this insidious process rather than uninstall/install. Most people don't notice condensation except on the window glass, or on tent walls in a tent camper, but it is ever present, seeping everywhere it can.

Some paints or primers are quite good at vapor protection if you do remove the vinyl.

Wes

Days spent camping are not subtracted from one's total.
- 2000 Excursion V-10 - 2000 F-250 CC 7.3L V-8
- 2004 Cougar Keystone M-294 RLS, 6140# tare
- Hensley Arrow - Champion 4000w/3500w gen
- Linda, Wes and Quincy the Standard Brown Poodle

Wife'nHubby

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/10 08:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most likely you don't have wallpaper, rather it is a type of contact paper. I know in our TT it is a printed contact paper. Contact paper is almost impossible to remove when it has been in place for so many years.

Shari

Wisconsin - the best place to be!

4*phun*2

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/10 07:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Downy clothes softner mixed with water. I am sure someone here will have the right mixture. I use a cup to a couple gallons of water when I take labels off wine bottles.

Glenn & Karen
'08 Chevy LT 3500 HD 4x4 CC LB DRW (nice hips)
'06 F350 4X4 Lariat CC LB DRW (nice hips) retired
'09 Victory Lane 38SRV Toy Hauler
'02 HD Road King FLHRCI KRUZN
'04 F150 XLT Super Crew
Our Toys

Grammie

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/10 05:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On HGTV they use a spray bottle of warm water with some fabric softener in it. Wallpaper comes off really easy on HGTV.

Dream Catcher

JJBIRISH

Butler, PA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/10 06:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If its like most RV’s the wall board is mfg with the wallpaper on it and it is extremely difficult to remove, usually causing more damage to remove it than to just paint over it… often it is a vinyl coated wallpaper and will need primed with a thin even coat of gripper from HD so it don‘t peel…

Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

KLO

Southern OK

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/10 06:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think I would try to paint it then put extra trim around the windows to cover where the wallpaper is scrunched up. All TT I have seen have the vinyl coated stuff on the walls that won't come off without a lot of damage.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Removing Wallpaper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS