Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Best RV Tires
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Best RV Tires

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
mclee47

Huntsville, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/28/10 09:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I need a new set of 19.5 tires to replace the Michelin XRVs on my Itasca Suncruiser. A tire dealer told me that Michelins tend to dry rot more quickly that a brand he did not mention are much better in that regard and less expensive. What is the best brand for resistance to dry rotting.

I had an earlier post on advice from another tire dealer that the rear tires do not need to be balanced. Most like me thought that was a bad idea. This guy tells me that there is so much weight on the rear tires that some do not balance them but that he recommends the balancing beads that go inside the tires. He said that it is very difficult to balance large tires with weights and that they are more likely to be thrown off the tire.

Lee, KY8T
2013 Tiffin Allegro RED 36'
Huntsville, TX

pulsar

Lewisville, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/28/10 10:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from Forum Technical Support.

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/10 11:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just curious. What is the build date on your current tires (from the DOT number)?

Do you store them covered to protect them from UV?

Do you use any tire dressing on them? If so, does it contain any silicone or petroleum?

My 5 year old Michelins have zero side wall cracking, but I keep them covered and drive the coach every couple of weeks which also helps the tires.

And for our opinion on the other brand your tire guy is pushing, we would have to know what it is to comment/compare.

Brett Wolfe
1997 Safari Sahara 3540
EX: 1993 Foretravel 36' U-240

FMCA Forum: www.community.fmca.com/index

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

SGTJOE

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/28/10 11:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have 5 year old XRV's on my MH and there isn't any signs of "dry rot" . I keep mine covered, wash them twice a year, keep the jacks down, taking weight off the tires when sitting, maintain proper tire pressure and they look as good as the day they were installed. Love to hear what tire he offered you that's cheaper and better.

2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

dezertcamper

San Diego

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/10 11:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

foosh1 wrote:

Let me guess, the dealer telling you these things is not a Michelin dealer.

I'm very happy with the Michelin XRVs, and I don't think I'd risk anything else.

I bought my set of tires from TCI Tire Centers, which is a Michelin truck tire distributor. The manager looked at my MH, current Michelin tires, asked me how many miles I have on the coach and how many I put on a year. Then he suggested a brand called GT Radial(GITI) which I had never heard of before. He then gave me their website info and even offered to pull it up for me at their shop. We compared the Michelin tire vs the GT Radial. Spec per spec the GT Radial matched the Michelin and even Goodyear tires. I asked about UV prohibitors and I was told all manufactures have some sort of prohibitor in the rubber to help. But that fact was I will not drive enough miles to wear them out and will need to replace them due to age before I do. The cost of the GT Radial was $100 less per tire.

I was still a bit concerned as the GT Radial was a Chinese brand. I then saw on there website that GT Radial is a huge tire manufacture that builds tires for several of the top tire manufactures. GT also has won the General Motors supplier of the year award twice and is the only tire manufacture to do so.

I decided to take his advice and try the GT Radial instead of buying another set of Michelin's. During the balancing process one of the shop guys doing the balancing called me over and showed me that the new tires had less balancing weights on them then when I had the Michelin's on.

Up to this point I only have less then a 600 miles on them, but have had no complaints. I have driven in dry and wet conditions and have seen no difference compared to when I had the Michelin's on it.

So I guess the question is, Are there tires that are as good as Michelin and Goodyear for our MH's? My answer is yes and a Michelin dealer saved me just over $600 in the process.

* This post was edited 04/28/10 12:17pm by dezertcamper *

foosh1

Annapolis MD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/28/10 11:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let me guess, the dealer telling you these things is not a Michelin dealer.

I'm very happy with the Michelin XRVs, and I don't think I'd risk anything else.

08 Winnebago Journey 39Z, Cummins ISB 350 & Allison 3000MH
US Gear Unified Braking System, Blue Ox tow equipment
10 Wrangler Toad

psyflyjohn

Scam Diego, CA

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/10 02:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Toyos - they replaced my Michelins. Now you're talking real tires!

I have satellite internet - Dial-up speed at broadband prices...

Jim@HiTek

Gresham, OR, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/28/10 03:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think Bridgestones are pretty good. Wore my rears down to no tread but didn't have any dry rot or cracks anywhere when I replaced them. Got 48,560 miles out of them. And they sat for two-three years with little usage.

Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Fleetwood Bounder, '94
Cummins Diesel, 190HP, 36.5' with 50HP LP boost.
Black Rock Lava Park, Nevada

supra24valve

Jackson, Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/10 02:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, I have never posted about this but I have to today. I can't wait.
I was talking to my wifes uncle the other day. I knew he had a motorhome. But never knew what type. He bought it new in 1996. It has the 460 engine he told me. And it was 34 footer. That is all he knew about it. He is 68. Drove it to the west coast 4 times and a few trips to Florida in the late 90's.
He took his grand daughter to New York a few weeks ago for her soon to be graduation gift in it. Get this. He has never, repeat never put tires on it. It has Michelin's on it when he bought it new. Yes, he said it has cracks in them. So he is soon going to put some new ones on. 14 years old people. Is he lucky or what? He also pulls a Vue with a tow bar.

ChrisMorlan

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/10 02:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recently put on 225/70R19.5 Continental HSR's and have been very pleased so far. Contact Beasley Tire in Houston for a good price. Ask for Jason or Robert.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Best RV Tires
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS