Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: battery disconnect switch
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> battery disconnect switch

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
123sand

michigan

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/10 06:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Was wondering what does it take to install one of these does wires just get hooked to battery and if not how is it done, we just put the power jack on yesterday and now would like to this mod, Thank you all so much for all the info i have gained from here you guys are great.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/10 06:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

The simplest route is a battery post disconnect. Remove the negative cable. Put the switch in place. Put the cable on the end of the switch. The one with the green knob in this link:

green knob disconnect switch

Regards, Don
Full Time in a Kustom Koach Class C 28'5", 256 watts Unisolar, 875 amp hours in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, Magnum 3000 watt PSW inverter.

grayhackle

Tooele, Utah 84074

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/11/10 02:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just purchased the green knob disconnect switch at walmart today.
Haven't installed it but reviews I have read are favorable. $3.94, so the price is right.

I am going to bolt all the wires to the trailer (6ea) through the hole in the one end. I checked the switch with a volt meter and it does shut the power off with a small turn to the left.

I wanted the knife blade type switch with wing nuts but it was $38.95 at local rv shop. WOW Camping world has a similar switch on their web site for $27.77.

* This post was edited 05/11/10 03:33pm by grayhackle *

03 Dodge 2500, Cummins, Auto, 4X4 SLT
96 Jayco 31 FSS

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/10 06:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

After fumble fingering my key and dropping it in a nearly inaccessible part of my RV, I now have a string running through it and have it secured to the RV. No more loss, and no more poking at it with a stiff wire to retrieve it.

Spade Cooley

Mountain View, AR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/11/10 06:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also want to install a disconnect switch but the only one I've found in town at the auto parts store has a key. The first thing I would do is misplace the key. The other switches look good but I don't want one where I have to remove the battery box lid. If I have to remove the lid I might as well just disconnect the negative lead.

dlstewart01

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/10 07:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Key locks in switch in on position. When the key is out the switch is disconnected. Chain keeps key from getting lost. They come with two keys. The other one is in the camper. I don't have to remove eny thing except the rubber plug on the switch.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PCO-5575PT

* This post was edited 05/11/10 07:21am by dlstewart01 *

Hgarnerno1

Tyler, Texas USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/10 06:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess I am just cheap. I have found that lifting the battery box cover and unscrewing the wing nut from the positive cable and removing it just as easy as messing around with a disconnect switch. It probably takes me about 3 minutes at most to do this and there is no chance of a switch failure. I have also saved the $3.45 a switch from WalMart would cost.

Howard, USN Ret
2000 Ford Excursion,V10, Limited
2003 Terry 27H. Super Slide

sonicsix

Jerry n' Cynthia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/11/10 05:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Battery Kill / Cutoff Switch

batman99

at seasonal site

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/10 06:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Hi,

After fumble fingering my key and dropping it in a nearly inaccessible part of my RV, I now have a string running through it and have it secured to the RV. No more loss, and no more poking at it with a stiff wire to retrieve it.

I did this trick as well. Except, I used a little steel chain and a spring loaded disconnect clip. Thus, allowing me to remove the key (when I need to).

For picture, surf: - Click Here -

Works good for my needs (at seasonal camp site) as well.

welove2drive

Southwestern Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/10 06:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is the one I used. It cost a little more but is suppost to stand up to salt and calcium chloride. And I did not want to take the box cover off every time I wanted to switch it off. Just ran the ground wire to it and the the frame.

Dave and Marcia
02 Ford F350SD 4X4 SRW Longbed, 7.3PSD Auto
07 Flagstaff 829RGSS

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> battery disconnect switch
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS