Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Xantrex AGS and Onan Marquis 5500....wiring help?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Xantrex AGS and Onan Marquis 5500....wiring help?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
wtodmiller

Cincinnati

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/12 10:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I forgot to add. I am using a xantrex freedow 3000sw with the xantrex ags.

wtodmiller

Cincinnati

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/12 10:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wired up my onan 5500 according to the diagram and it will not start. Mine is a 2011 model and has 5 wires coming from the generator to the start panel in the coach. The wires are purple, orange, red, blue and brown. The are in positions P2-A,B,C,E and F. Any help would greatly be appreciated. I'd also like to be able to use the manual start function in the coach if possible.

DanMartin

Hillsboro, Or

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/10 10:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Chris. Yeah, it looks pretty simple, but it's amazing that nobody has just posted the wiring diagram online. [emoticon]

If you can dig up the info, great...if not, I'll probably have it figured out by this coming weekend. 4 wires...how hard could it be? [emoticon]

Thanks!

Dan

DanMartin

Hillsboro, Or

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/10 06:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, I figured it out and got it running nicely.

Here's the schematic if anyone wants to do the same:

AGS Wiring Diagram

The generator is "type 3" in the settings.

Note that I did have to change the run-time from 0.5s to 2.0s to get it to know that the generator is running correctly, but other than that, the default settings worked great.

Hope this helps future folks looking to do this same deal.

McKenziek

Visalia, Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/11 07:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DanMartin wrote:

OK, I figured it out and got it running nicely.

Here's the schematic if anyone wants to do the same:

AGS Wiring Diagram

The generator is "type 3" in the settings.

Note that I did have to change the run-time from 0.5s to 2.0s to get it to know that the generator is running correctly, but other than that, the default settings worked great.

Hope this helps future folks looking to do this same deal.

Dan, thanks for the diagram. It has helped me alot but i have a question. I am installing the Xantrex SW3000 with the AGS and the diagram in the Manualon Page 2-11 does not show a 5 amp fuse on line 12 like in your diagram.

I'm just wondering if you added that just to be safe or did you use a different manual?

By the way Onan generators are noted as Type 2 generators in this manual. Has something changed from when you wired this or am I reading it wrong.

Thanks again for your help

Kevin

2005 Monaco Diplomat

DanMartin

Hillsboro, Or

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/11 08:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

McKenziek wrote:

Dan, thanks for the diagram. It has helped me alot but i have a question. I am installing the Xantrex SW3000 with the AGS and the diagram in the Manualon Page 2-11 does not show a 5 amp fuse on line 12 like in your diagram.

I'm just wondering if you added that just to be safe or did you use a different manual?

By the way Onan generators are noted as Type 2 generators in this manual. Has something changed from when you wired this or am I reading it wrong.

Thanks again for your help

Kevin

Kevin,

I added the fuses for extra safety...fuses are cheap, the AGS module is not. [emoticon]

IMO the manual is incorrect...type 3 works just fine. I think with type 2 I had some trouble, but cannot remember what. Go ahead and experiment....it's not going to hurt anything. The above set-up works for me.

Good luck!

Dan

DanMartin

Hillsboro, Or

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/10 04:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey all,

First, the facts:

Xantrex RS3000 inverter/charger
6x6v GCBs in series/parallel
Xantrex XW AGS (Auto Generator Start).
Onan Marquis 5500 gasoline genset

I have the Xantrex RS3000 wired to the whole house and it works wonderfully. I'm adding-in the AGS module, and was wondering if anyone had already gone through the work of interfacing between the Xantrex AGS wiring pigtail and the Onan one (which is PN 300-4946 for those who want to know).

Yeah, I can figure it out from the Xantrex AGS instructions, but it's not a "connect lead X to lead Y" sort of document.

So, I have the two pigtails....there are three wires (and a ground I believe) that need to be connected here....anyone have the info already figured out? It'll probably save me a few hours of research....

Yes, I've searched/googled for hours...no dice (or at least nothing that I could see).

If I don't hear back from this forum, I'll figure it out and post a nice diagram and my notes.

Thanks in advance,

Dan Martin

Chris Bryant

Arden, North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/10 06:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you don't figure it out- I've done it, just not enough time right now to look it up.
I do remember the Gen Type is 10, and it's not hard at all.

-- Chris Bryant
My RV Service Blog
The RV.net Blog

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Xantrex AGS and Onan Marquis 5500....wiring help?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS