Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: 2000 Artic Fox Delamination
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 2000 Artic Fox Delamination

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
krazymatt

NM

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/10 11:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My friend has an Artic Fox he's had a couple of years. After the first year he noticed some delamination on the overhead front cap. After pulling it out of a barn for the year he noticed some major delamination on this part. When he had noticed the minor delamination he caulked the seems properly with eternabond or whatever that RV caulking is called. Obviuosly that didn't help. What is suggested he do? He's thought of removing all the trim pieces and peeling it off carefully with the intention of fixing it himself but is afraid to open up a can of worms. What kind of costs would he be looking at to get it repaired. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Here is a link to a pic.

http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac93/krazymatt2010/delam.jpg

* This post was edited 06/01/10 11:24am by krazymatt *

New Mexico
2008 Forest River Puma 26RLSS
2008 Dodge 2500 SLT Big Horn QC Cummins 4x4 6Spd Auto, Exhaust Brake.
Easy-Lift 1000 WD hitch.
2400IS Yamaha Generator

bailer6334

Prescott, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/10 11:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have him call Northwood Mgf. in LaGrange OR. at 1-800-766-6274. and talk to Matt. They can provide that info to include parts if he wants to do it himself. If you want feedback on this site provide type of unit. Someone may have some info.

2011 Arctic Fox 29-5T 5th Wheel
2011 Silverado HD 3500 6.6L Duramax Diesel Crew Cab
Short Bed 4X4 SRW LT
50gal Transfer Flow Aux. Tank
16K Valley Hitch w/bed saver

Simplygib

Grants Pass, OR USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/10 12:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow. That's nasty looking. I think he's already got a can of worms, and the longer he waits before opening it up, the more worms he's going to have. If it's water that caused that, just sealing up the leak isn't going to stop the progression of the underlying damage.

Gary and Zahra
RV Solar 101

krazymatt

NM

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/10 09:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks. I agree that it is pretty substantial. Yes it is delaminated under the bed/above the hitch. I'm thinking he's in for an expensive repair. I personally wouldn't tackle it. I'd try an find a dealership or repair shop that's not out to rape anyone if that's at all possible.

terrybk

Home

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/10 07:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After looking at that picture more, it looks pretty wrinkled. The filon is thin and will warp and ripple once the cardboard backing lets go but that is pretty substantial.

* This post was edited 06/01/10 08:07pm by terrybk *

2005 Chevrolet 3500 SRW 4X4 LB/CC D/A
2006 Hitchhiker II LS 29.5LKTG
CEK0515 and two dogs

terrybk

Home

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/10 04:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The filon has separated from the cardboard backing. Odds are there is a leak at the top seam where it joins the roof or along the side. That looks like a 21-5R.

It all depends on what he wants to do. Obviously the source of the leak needs to be fixed. What is unknown is if the water damaged any of the wood framing. You can only know is by removing the front cap and looking. Also, since water has going into the front, odds are it also drained down under the bed. Ask him if the filon under the bed area is delaminated.

After that, he will need to replace that front cap. It's not terribly hard. The tricky part is the top curve. The factory used scored cardboard because it would bent over the curve. Luan won't without breaking even if scored.

Check this thread out:

http://afnash.com/forum/forum12/10020.html

* This post was last edited 06/01/10 10:55pm by terrybk *   View edit history

SteveRankin

Sequim, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/10 06:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMHO, the best way to ensure that the job is done properly and not get raped in the process is to (a) call Matt at Northwood, and (b) make an appointment with him to have them do the repair. My experience with Northwood service is that it is very good and very reasonably priced. They'll know exactly what to do and won't waste time and money wondering and making mistakes.

Your friend wanted to take a vacation run up to LaGrande, OR didn't he?

Steve & C. J.
Gracie Rough Collie
Bo'sun Bichon Frise
Marli Lab

2011 Fox Mountain 245RKS

1998 Bigfoot 25C9.6B

2010 Dodge Ram Laramie 3500 4X4, Cummins 6.7, Crewcab SRW LB
TrailerSaver BD3 & MOR/Ryde

Our Arctic by RV trip

Our Beaver motorhome Technical page

krazymatt

NM

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/10 05:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, and his Artic Fox is pretty far away from trashed. The inside shows zero damage believe it or not. The more I read about delamination the more glad I am I have aluminum siding. I know it can have it's problems, but around here I see 20-40 year old aluminum sided rigs in great condition all the time.

terrybk

Home

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/10 10:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would guess it will be in the $2000 range. Thing is, an Arctic Fox is worth fixing unless it's totally trashed.

leghorn204

center of the continent

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/10 06:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow thats rough. My guess is the screw holes in the upper portion are leaking.

In 07 we purchased a new Fox TC. In spring of 08 delamination was showing on the back. Spent most of the summer at the dealer getting a lot of talk and cosmetic fixes that were worthless. Winter 08-09 ripped out the rear of the TC, added new framing and replaced the filon with aluminum siding. The job cost me $900 and about 50 hours.

We put on about 3000mi on the TC in 09 and the fix held up well. Sold the unit March of this year and replaced it with a Jayco 5er with aluminum siding.

Wish you luck, what a disappointment and the hassle.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 2000 Artic Fox Delamination
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS