Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Top gems of Oregon coast state parks? Or private RV parks?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Top gems of Oregon coast state parks? Or private RV parks?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
KRJ

Dallas, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/10 10:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know from this forum that many of you live in Oregon or go there as often as you can. We'd like to camp in the state parks along the coast, and possibly three different camps or areas. Are there some you would recommend that are truly the gems (and you can stay for a week or more)? It appears on their state map there are only a few that take reservations, and we'd like to make a reservation for the 4th of July long weekend. We know the 4th of July weekend is really hard to get into anywhere!

Many of the parks seem to be day use only. If you'd recommend some of those, that would be helpful in our touring. Also I guess we could stay nearby in a private camp if needed. Any recommendations of places you have stayed and loved?

If no recommendations on the above, any not to miss sites while we are in the state? Thanks in advance for any comments.

KRJ

F-TROUP

VISALIA, CALIF

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/10 11:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All the state parks are nice, but we like Harris Beach and FT Stevens.

aslakson

Fulltiming in the Lower 48

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/10 12:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ft Stevens tops our list of state parks; Winchester Bay RV Resort is tops among the "not state parks" list - it's a county park, but run very much like a commercial park.

al

Fulltiming since Apr 2007 in 2000 Rexhall Aerbus, towing 2012 Honda CRV. 44 of the lower 48 so far.

jhlady

Portland, Oregon / Green Valley, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/10 03:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KRJ,

Might be too late for reservations for this years's 4th of July on the Oregon coast, but you might get lucky. We like Honeyman State Park just south of Florence as well as Ft. Stevens on the northern coast. Silver Falls State Park and Detroit Lake State Park are nice inland. You can't beat Seven Feathers RV Resort in Canyonville for longer term accomodations. From there you could cover the whole southern Oregon Coast, Crater Lake and much of the southern Oregon Valley such as Medford, Ashland and possibly northern California.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your trip and let me know if you have further questions.

John

TrulyOregon

Southern Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/10 05:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many of the coastal state parks in Oregon do accept reservations and many sites within the park have full hookups. As previously mentioned, Harris Beach (south coast) is a great campground, just north of Brookings. Many people who camp there stock up on supplies at the Fred Meyer store in town.
Beverly Beach state park is also great (midway up the coast,few miles north of Newport), with easy access to the beach.
We've stayed at both campgrounds and both accept reservations. Both are very popular campgrounds.
Finding a spot for the 4th of July might be difficult. Premier RV Resort in Lincoln City is right in town. Pricey, sites close together, but very clean restrooms.

RVJimofOregon

Central Oregon Coast

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/10 05:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I checked several State Parks last week and could not find any weekends open. Week day (Sunday - Friday) had some open spots. I drive by Beverly Beach every few days and see the vacancy sign out a lot on week days. Great Park.
RV Jim

Jim & Joyce
Central Oregon Coast

26 foot 2004 Komfort travel trailer
2014 Platinum Tundra pickup

Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents,“It was loaned to you by your children”
Indian proverb

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/10 06:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think I have stayed at every State Park on the Oregon Coast - they are all nice but Harris and Beverly Beach are a step up from the rest. Just my 02.

Finding a reservation for July 4th maybe a challenge.

Kevin

tiptoe tommy

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/10 12:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

North Coast--Ft Stevens is great. If you can't get in, the KOA across the road is pretty nice and if you stay out of the big meadow, pretty spacious. Cannon Beach RV is one of our favorites. As for day use parks, Ecola and Oswald West are both standouts. Going south, you may get a spot at out of the way Cape Lookout.

Central Coast--Beverly Beach will be tough to book, but is very nice. South Beach books slower and isn't quite as nice, but is still a good park. Honeyman in the dunes is great. If it is full there are lots of good NF options that have spots. Many nice day parks to check out. Visit Devils Punchbowl.

South Coast--better availability here since it is far from SF or Portland. Harris is the standout here, but it does book fastest of any park in this area. Hike the trails of Boardman SP along the coast.

Family that loves to camp as often as we can! Two kids, 16 and 13

1999 Coleman SeaPine PUP
GO COUGS!

Patsyjk

Lewisville, TX

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/10 01:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We really liked Nehalem Bay SP. It had trees, but not so thick that it made the campground dark, like Beverly Beach. The beach and dunes were lovely.

katleman

San Jose

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/10 02:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stayed at Ft Stevens and Nehalem Bay on the coast last summer, the week after July 4th, both were quite busy, we had made reservations in May.

Nehalem Bay was particularly nice, with the dunes and beaches.

I can't recall a bad Oregon state park, and wouldn't hesitate to visit one again.

Visted via RV

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Top gems of Oregon coast state parks? Or private RV parks?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS