Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fridge gets too cold, even on lowest setting
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Folding Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Folding Trailers

> Fridge gets too cold, even on lowest setting

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
VikingOne

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/10 11:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 1994 Rockwood XL with a Norcold 3-way refrigerator. Even on the lowest temp setting (there are 3, high/mid/low) the fridge gets cold enough to freeze whatever is in there. It doesn't freeze solid, but it will put ice chips in the fruit salad and even the eggs. If I set the fridge on high, it will freeze solid anything near the cooling fins in the back. How can I adjust this thing to not get so dang cold? Or am I gonna be stuck with the "turn it off for awhile and restart it" nonsense?

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/10 11:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look at the clip on the fins in the frig box that should have a pair of twisted wires coming from it.

Is it securely clipped to a fin and if so which one and its relative position from the top of the fin.

USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/10 03:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Call Ghostbusters because NOBODY I know has this problem with a popup fridge! It's always the opposite one.

How cold does it get? Perhaps try adding several warm canof pop before bedevery night? That could add enough thermal mass to prevent overnight freezing. Or if I'm wrong, they'll blow up and spray cola all over your fridge! Better put 'em in a ziplock the first time.....

PG2676

Northwest Alberta, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/10 10:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Guest wrote:

Call Ghostbusters because NOBODY I know has this problem with a popup fridge! It's always the opposite one.

How cold does it get? Perhaps try adding several warm canof pop before bedevery night? That could add enough thermal mass to prevent overnight freezing. Or if I'm wrong, they'll blow up and spray cola all over your fridge! Better put 'em in a ziplock the first time.....

Actually, mine has to be set to low when on LP mode or it will freeze fruit and meat. It has to be set to med/high when on AC to maintain a cool temp.

rmnpcolorado

Madison, WI

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/10 07:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PG2676 wrote:

Guest wrote:

Actually, mine has to be set to low when on LP mode or it will freeze fruit and meat. It has to be set to med/high when on AC to maintain a cool temp.

Ditto. Guess Guest better get to know other people with popup fridges. Frozen eggs are interesting...

One thing I've heard is to get one of those little battery operated fans to move the air around when on LP. I've never had issues on AC as it should regulate itself. The last time out on LP we didn't have an issue, but then again it was warmer outside. I've noticed when it gets cooler out we freeze things pretty good at night.

2011 Chevrolet Avalanche LS
2011 Jayco X213

bondebond

Searcy, AR

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/10 08:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The clip-on sensor is mechanical, and only used by the fridge when on A/C power. If you are using LP, there's not a whole lot a consumer can do to keep from freezing up inside.

I have the cube fan, and add warm drinks at night. I also open the door up a lot more and exchange the cold air inside. This all helps but only minimally.

If you're on LP gas: I haven't tried it, and just thought of it, but you could also try restricting the gas line valve that's right there in the back of the fridge. It's the brass cutoff valve you open up to let the gas flow, independent of the power source selector switch (Off/LP/AC/DC) and independent of the High to Low temperature knob. Get the flame going, turning down the temp knob to low, THEN adjust the gas shutoff valve right there slowly to see if/when the flame gets smaller. That might work...I will be trying it myself.

This space left intentionally.

2006 Fleetwood Sequoia and mods...one of the tallest highwall pop-ups on the planet after flipping the axle.

Bmach

Western MA.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/10 10:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get it off of the low setting. Low means colder.

JLTN_James

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/10 12:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure about the Norcold models, but the Dometic manual states:

"If the ambient temperature is above 80°F and/or the door of the refrigerator is opened frequently the knob should be left in the "HIGH" position."

I interpret this to mean "High" setting provides more LP to the flame, thus more cooling (circulates the ammonia refrigerant more).

2004 Toyota Tundra SR5 (V8, 4WD, TP, TRD)
2005 Fleetwod Allegance with axle flip
Honeywell 2000i Generator

Me, DW, DS, DD, & Chicken-Dog

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/10 12:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bmach wrote:

Get it off of the low setting. Low means colder.

Not on our NORCOLD.

Bmach

Western MA.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/10 08:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ok

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Folding Trailers

> Fridge gets too cold, even on lowest setting
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Folding Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS