Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: trailer brake harness on 06 E450
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> trailer brake harness on 06 E450

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
jhouck

washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/10 02:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can anyone help me locate the trailer brake controller harness on an 06 E450? I have asked at the ford dealer, various auto parts stores, an rv dealer, searched the net, and can't find an unused connector. I did find what I thought was it just behind and above the emergency brake. It is a six pin rectangular connector, gray, with four wires in but it has something with one wire connected to it that splits into three wires using a butt connector. It is obviously after market, and I'm not sure where it goes. When I shop for the wire harness that connects to the brake controller, the ones I have seen are completely different shape, size, and color. I can't find a picture of one online, either.

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/10 02:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That sounds like the correct connector. The RV builder may have spliced off of it to use for other uses.

You need this plug:

http://www.etrailer.com/p-20260.html

Bryan

2000 Ford E350 DRW Wagon, V10 - 385,000 miles
2014 CreekSide 31KQBS (QuadSlide bunkhouse)

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/10 04:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Recently installed that part number in an Explorer with factory tow package. What I want to share is...

...The Power Lead (black in the adapter harness, probably different color in the Ford wiring harness) was HOT in the Explorer even with the key off. So disconnect the battery or pull the electric brake fuse. Else, good chance of blowing that fuse. I called an RV shop and they said they use circuit breakers when they do a from-scratch install, but just leave the 30A fuse if it's a factory package. Since I'd blown the factory fuse, I got an inline ATO fuse holder, put female spade connectors on it and plugged where the JCase fuse came out. Then put a 25A auto reset ATO breaker in the holder. That way an accidental short won't leave the brakes inop till the fuse is changed.

Also, the amp rating should relate to the number of axles you're braking.

If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/10 04:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why would plugging in a brake controller blow the fuse? The pigtails can be wired before its plugged in.

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/10 07:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, er... On the Explorer, the harness connector's behind the glove box. Why a connector opposite where the device'll mount, who knows. I taped the four wires together to form a "point" and poked it through the maze behind the center of the console/dash. Plugged it into the harness, put the glove box back. Took the tape off the "point" and crimped the ends to the controller's ends. When I went to test the controller, no power. Only explanation's that I blew the fuse when I plugged the glove box end in.
I just got the process out of step and don't want somebody else to. I tested for power and brake signal with the key ON, never thought to try it first key OFF.

* This post was edited 07/14/10 07:19pm by j-d *

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> trailer brake harness on 06 E450
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS