Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Summer Vacation 2010 - trip report - WARNING! WICKED LONG!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Summer Vacation 2010 - trip report - WARNING! WICKED LONG!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
luv2skyski

Stockbridge, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/10 12:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, finally got an hour or so to do a trip report from this summers events. I ended up having 53 days off (vacation, holidays, and just how my 12 hour schedule works out) this summer starting on June 10th.

The first stop was at Whitetail Ridge on Westpoint Lake in western Georgia. Site number 6:

[image]

[image]

In addition to the regulars we brought Taylor (one of Ashley's friends) with us. Kim came down Friday and stayed until Monday morning when she was planning on leaving at 6 am so she could get to work on time. Psych! The gate doesn't open until 7! Minor snafu. Monday showed the arrival of some friends and their two jet skiis. We ended up having so much fun we stayed another night. On a side note: The dinette in the NL is just big enough for my 6 foot frame if I lay diagonally. Head jammed into the corner and my feet just barely hanging off the opposite end. (I let Ashley and Taylor sleep in the cab-over because they are too big to sleep side by side any longer. Times a flyin!!)

Ashley and Taylor both were able to master the deepwater start on both the skiis and wakeboard. Amazing in it's own right because Taylor had never tried either one before this week.

Taylor skiing:

[image]

Girls tubing with Max:

[image]

Taylor wakeboarding:

[image]

The 3 of us chilling on the tube:

[image]

After effects of so much time on/in the water:

[image]

We liked Westpoint Lake so much that we left on Thursday restocked and returned on Friday where we did pretty much a lot of the same. Only this time we went to Holiday Campground which about 1/4 mile further down the road from Whitetail Ridge.

Site 111:

[image]

[image]

Our only complaint about both campgrounds is their lack of shower facitlies and the limited number of bathrooms.

We did have an interesting run-in with the campground host. Totally self inflicted - I'm not making any excuses. Check out time for both of these Corps of Engineers campgrounds is 3 PM. I assumed that meant you had to be off the site at 3 PM like all the other campgrounds we've ever been at even though it's plainly printed everywhere that you have to be out of the campground at 3. My fault. So at 2:50 I'm pulling out of the site and around to the boat lauch to pick up the boat. At the boat launch the park ranger comes over while we're strapping down and asks if we are the ones from site 111? Yep. He says that they are going to charge you another day. Whatever. The interesting twist was when I said to the host "I'll need another post pass and two visor passes please." Shocked silence. "You don't really think I'm going to give you another $22 for nothing, do you?" I think he's used to people just handing over the cash and leaving. He gave us the site right across from the site we were just in while grumbling the whole time with his wife. Again...totally my fault but a good outcome either way.

The next camping trip found us at Lake Allatoona where we camped at a friends private campground. Now Ashley has added one more friend, Shelby. Again...lots of water sports:

Taylor:

[image]

Shelby:

[image]

Ashley:

[image]

Ashely and Taylor on my friends tube:

[image]

A little trick photography:

[image]

The final trip was to go to my parents place in Maine. After we got back from Lake Allatonna I happened to notice this:

[image]

[image]

So I said to myself "I don't think that's right." Not exactly what I wanted to see before a very long drive but it didn't take long to replace the chain. This time I replaced the 1/4" chain with 5/16". It did well during the entire 2800 mile round trip.

We had a family reunion while in Maine where we went to the Cabbage Island Clambakes (highly recommended) out of Boothbay Harbor. Self portrait with Boothbay Harbor in the background:

[image]

My beautiful wife enjoying some spirits:

[image]

Family picture taken in front of the same tree we've taken a picture in front of for years:

[image]

Kim and Ashley helping out with the navigation:

[image]

We did just about everything you can behind a ski boat. Here's my nephew skyskiing:

[image]

Here's a few of myself. Gainer:

[image]

Air roll:

[image]

Skidder:

[image]

Even a "Hey look at me!" video:

My "Hey look at me" video

Did some fishing. The two biggest fish I've ever caught. 4 pounder:

[image]

4 1/2 pounder:

[image]

We also went camping at Bayley's Camping Resort near Old Orchard Beach. Rather expensive but a nice campground and very close to the beach. Here's one of our camper and our friends cabin that they rented:

[image]

One of Ashley with her legs buried in the sand:

[image]

Our overcast day at the beach where the kids played in the freezing water:

[image]

And we even had our own clambake back at the campground:

[image]

Unfortunately, the ride home was not as event free as the ride north. In West Virginia we had a flat on the boat trailer:

[image]

Then in North Carolina we were hit by a lady trying to merge into our lane. Obviously, we were still occupying the space at the time:

Bent fastgun:

[image]

Corner of the camper fiberglass damage:

[image]

Left rear camper jack:

[image]

[image]

And the damagees
car:

[image]

It was rather strange because after we were hit I pulled over and started walking down the side of the rig and didn't see any damage other than the fastgun tie down and a couple of small rub marks on the boat trailer fender. When I got to her car and saw the severity of the damage I said "I think I missed something". That's when I walked back and saw the camper jack.

It could have been much worse. Neither the truck or the boat was damaged. After the police officer took down all our information we were right back on the road.

And for all those who slam on Happijac's myself included): I gotta tell ya it's one tough jack. When I got home I was still able to use the jack to get the camper off the truck.

Thanks for hanging in there during this.

Happy camping, Dave.

On Edit:

p.s. I can't believe I forgot this picture. I'm so ashamed. This is the one that I wanted to show off the most and I totally forgot! Bruce...this is especially for you. That's Ashley (9) on the skyski (riding the foil no less)!!!

[image]

* This post was edited 08/24/10 05:48pm by luv2skyski *

2004 Northern Lite 10-2000RR, 1999 F250

luv2skyski.com

Northern Lite Owners

Truck Camper Enthusiasts Map

4 out of 3 people have trouble with fractions.

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/10 12:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All I was going to add is that this is in fact...longer than anything I've read here on RV.Net in a very long time...but then if you're reading my post, you've already found that out! [emoticon]

Seriousily, one of the best Family Camping posts with pictures I've seen in many years! Thanks! [emoticon]

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen. ">

dadwolf2

Henderson,NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/10 12:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What a trip. Glad to hear that the broken chain was a non-event. You will have to let us know how the repairs to the left rear jack area go. You guys must have been "hard to see"!!

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2014 Adventurer 86FB

Tops

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/10 12:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like you had a great time! Memories that last FOREVER!

2008 Chevy 2500HD D/A SB 6" lift
35" load E tires on 20" wheels
Stable Loads / Air Bags
Hellwig rear Sway Bar
Super Springs

2011 Arctic Fox 811 camper loaded!

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/10 01:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice photos and write-up.......could have done without the Bulldog t-shirts though. At least you are not committing child abuse by forcing the children to wear them. [emoticon]

Sorry about your accident. Let us know how the repairs go and how the insurance company deals with it.

Brad

Wake Up America
1996 Lance 500 and 2006 F-350 PSD 4X4 DRW
Our Truck Camper Photos

JacintoKid

San Antonio, Texas (formerly sheepdog)

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/10 01:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Awesome trip report. Shame about the damage but at least you got all your fun in before the wreck. Hope you get it fixed up and back on the road soon.

2014 Toyota tacoma 4WD
2014 FourWheel Camper Fleet model
OME full suspension swap

TwoMaineiacs

Near Freeport, Maine

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/10 02:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did anyone at Old Orchard Beach tell you that the water is the warmest it has been in years? Natives do NOT go in without a wet suit.

Great family photos. Thanks for sharing.

2011 Chalet Double Slide on a 2013 F-450 Diesel DRW
On the Road Again from Rural Maine
Our travel blog with photos

Sue Bee

NW suburbs of Chicago

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/10 02:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for sharing, looks like a (mostly) good time. You have some skills on a board!

fishguy_40

long beach, ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/10 02:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is a sweet video man... very cool!! Great trip report as well... you guys sure had some fun [emoticon].

1998 Chevrolet 2500 4x4 camper special
firestone ride rites
1995 lance squire lite 150

Oldtymeflyr

Arapahoe Hills, CO

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/10 02:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice trip report. Like the forum name, it fits.

Any more pictures?

Rick[emoticon]

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Summer Vacation 2010 - trip report - WARNING! WICKED LONG!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS