Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Norcold 6cf refer- how level does the RV need to be?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Norcold 6cf refer- how level does the RV need to be?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
gavingear

Bothell, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/10 12:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi all- pulled the trigger this weekend on a 2011 Komfort Resort 299QB, and am very excited to pick it up in a couple days.

I'm "downgrading" from a 1975 Airstream 31' trailer that had the original (35 year old) Dometic refer that still worked great. I know these old refers are sensitive to being run when not level, so I was always careful to have the RV level when running it.

Does anyone know just how sensitive the Norcold refers are? My driveway has a slight grade, and I'd love to hitch up the trailer the night before and run the refer. What I don't want to do is risk burning the element or anything like that.

How much of a grade/angle is safe for these units? (this is a 2 way 6 cubic foot).

On a side note- how long do they take to get down to temperature? (is it overnight like my old Dometic?)

Thanks,
Gavin

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/10 12:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Norcolds website says..."If you have a gas absorption refrigerator, normal leveling of the vehicle is sufficient. The refrigerator is made to operate within 3 degrees off level side-to-side and 6 degrees off level front-to-back (looking at the front of the refrigerator)."

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

JJBIRISH

Butler, PA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/04/10 05:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gavingear wrote:

Thanks - looking at 6 degrees, I'm sure my driveway is less than that.

front to back as looking at the fridge, nor front to back of the trailer...

Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

JJBIRISH

Butler, PA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/04/10 05:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have a older fridge 3* side to side will ruin the cooling unit… I have never talked to repair tech’s that thinks 3* is a good idea on the new ones either… my opinion is level is level, while some on here will argue that…

Here is a recent thread on the subject no need to rehash it…

level fridge

jauguston

Bellingham, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/10 06:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Who do you suppose you should trust? The manufacturer or some internet expert with a keyboard? What is the saying -- "Trust but verify".

Jim

2005 Coachman Sportscoach Elite 402 40'
350hp Cat C-7 w/MP-8
7500w Onan quiet diesel generator
6-Kyocera 130w solar panels SB3024i MPPT controller
Pressure Pro TPMS
1987 Suzuki Samurai tintop Toad w/VW 1.6 turbo diesel power

gavingear

Bothell, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/10 12:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks - looking at 6 degrees, I'm sure my driveway is less than that.

Ray,IN

IN, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/10 08:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Page 4 of the Norcold owners manualstates 3 degrees side-to-side, 6 degrees front-to-back exceeding those limits may damage the unit.
If you are traveling and stop long enough to eat,etc.(20-30min) and the trailer is slightly beyond those limits it should do no harm.

The rule of thumb is: if you are comfortable living in the RV it is level enough for the frig to operate properly.

JJBIRISH

Butler, PA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/04/10 08:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

get it as level as you can, and no longer than necessary, you should be ok… that said it would have to be very close to level before I would do it…

The new boilers are designed to slow down the damage from overheating that can be caused by using them out of level…

Edit: here is a good site that describes how your fridge works, there are plenty of others out there with the same information…

how it works

* This post was edited 10/04/10 08:24pm by JJBIRISH *

JJBIRISH

Butler, PA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/04/10 07:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jauguston wrote:

Who do you suppose you should trust? The manufacturer or some internet expert with a keyboard? What is the saying -- "Trust but verify".

Jim

OH MY I’m touched

I am not asking him to believe me or to trust me… Google is a wonderful thing when used…

Its his fridge to do with as he sees fit…

Its also foolish to risk the damage when leveling is so elementary…

I agree trust but verify…

gavingear

Bothell, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/10 07:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Actually, going back to my post:

"My driveway has a slight grade, and I'd love to hitch up the trailer the night before and run the refer."

That's why I asked the question. I wouldn't park it for storage or camping off-level, it's really about getting the truck "ready to roll" the night before. I can't do that *and* have the trailer totally level...

I'm wondering if I should avoid this- "better safe than sorry" that kind of thing.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Norcold 6cf refer- how level does the RV need to be?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS