Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Folding Trailers: Hard Side Folding Options
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Folding Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Folding Trailers

> Hard Side Folding Options

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
vicchap1

USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/11 04:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looking at Flagstaff T12RS vrs Aliner Expedition. The only think I dislike about the T12RS is the toilet is not enclosed complety as on the expedition.
Does anyone know if these compare in price vrs features. What are normal discounts on 2011 models? Any info on either would be appricated. Thanks,

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/11 05:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

http://www.rvdirect.com/index.asp
Between 20% and 40% under MSRP at RV Direct. They don't sell Flagstaff but they have Rockwood which is identical and made in the same factory.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

beemerphile1

I'm 58, I'm not a

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/11 06:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I own an Aliner Sport but I have no particular allegiance to Aliner. It is just a product and I believe that I look fairly and objectively at other brands. I went to an RV show yesterday and finally saw the new Aframes in person. Two dealers had them and there was a total of three models to look through.

I was very impressed. The quality looked sufficient, the DW and I both liked the decor such as wood color and counter tops. But the main thing noticeable is how much you get for the money. WOW!

Here listing from memory is what you get for only $10,995;
Fantastic Fan
Cassette toilet
Microwave
LP gas furnace
Refrigerator
Stove
Electric water pump
Sink
Water heater (yes, standard equipment)
WFCO-8735 converter (that's right 35 not 25)
Electric tongue jack
Electric brakes
Outside table
Outside LP gas grill
Electric heat pump (not just A/C but a heat pump)
Outside shower

Time will tell as to the quality and durability but Forest River is a very established manufacturer. They are possibly the largest RV manufacturer and even though these models are new they know what they are doing.

The one dealer I spoke with is also an Aliner dealer and says they will be dropping Aliner due to the fact that in their opinion the Aliner cannot compete. Aliner and Chalet are going to have a very tough time competing with these new trailers.

The only downside I noticed about these new trailers is the lack of a front bubble and the heavier weight. If you are looking at the Aliner Expedition I imagine the weight is comparable. TV capability of 3,000 to 3,500 pounds GVW is necessary.

The Flagstaff/Rockwoods are now on Forest River's website.
http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/pop_up_campers.asp

...a government big enough to give us everything we want is a government big enough to take from us everything we have...
Gerald R. Ford

2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900/1998 Ford E150 4.6L = 8MPG
2009 Aliner Sport/2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L = 22MPG

sushidog

Abita Springs, LA

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/11 01:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was just looking at the Aliner website and realized the reason that the Aliner Expidition is a little heavier than the Flagstaff. The Expidition's box is 6'10" x 14'3" OD whereas the box on the Flagstaff is 7'1" x 12'. The Classic model Aliner has a 12 ft box but is a little narrower at 6'5" so it is a closer comparison to the Flagstaff. It's quite a bit lighter than the Flagstaff T12RS at an advertised 1,530lbs compared to the Flagstaff's 1846lbs. However to be fair, the Flagstaff has more std. equiptment which will make the actual weight difference less than it would appear from the specs.

Chip

2006 Aliner LXE
2006 Chevy Cobalt SS

sushidog

Abita Springs, LA

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/11 07:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This may sound strange from an Aliner owner, but I really like the new Flagstaff. You can be sure that they did their homework before cloning the Aliner, and it's priced right. That said, there are a few thinks I prefer in the Aliner. It has a true 60" wide Queen bed, not just 54" (my 06 LXE has a 72" wide (King) bed.) I also like the windows, roof bubbles and vents better on the Aliner. I guess it depends on which features you like the best. One thing for certain, Aliners hold their value well. They have a proven product with many years to work out all the bugs. That alone may be worth the price difference. What made me decide on my Aliner was my model's floorplan and low weight. Curiously, the Flagstaff is actually lighter than the new Aliner Expidition.

You may want to look at the Chalets before you decide, as they build very high quality units too. I love the new XL models with a dormer. They have one with a bathroom that has a stand alone shower, toilet and vanity; unlike my Aliner's toilet/shower combo unit. These Chalets are a little pricy though, and that may be the deal beaker - it was for me.

Chip

hokeypokey

xxx

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/11 07:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We went to Alaska & home again in 35 days with a 14 ft Chalet. We moved our camper every day except twice and it was a breeze to set up & tear down. I watched 2 women beside us set up a PUP and I was happy we didn't have to spend that much time on it. Don't beat me up, PUPs are nice in many ways. We've had one.

White Beard

Laval, QC

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/11 07:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi

I'm in the market to buy a Week-ender from Aliner. Saw them yesterday at the Tampa show. A fully equipped Week-ender is $12,300. I find that way to high when I compare to the new Forrest River at $10,481 .
I can also get a 19 ft trailer with toilet & shower for $9995 but unfortunately it's way too heavy , I'd have to buy a pick-up and that's out of the question.

Any thoughts on why the price is so high .
Is it the quality of the product or is it just the fact that the are alone ( or almost ) in this particular market.

White Beard

beemerphile1

I'm 58, I'm not a

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/11 08:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

White Beard wrote:

I'm in the market to buy a Week-ender from Aliner...

Any thoughts on why the price is so high .
Is it the quality of the product or is it just the fact that the are alone ( or almost ) in this particular market.

Do you mean an Aliner Sport Weekender? I've never heard of a model just called a Weekender. The Sport is a smaller Aliner and is what I currently own. The Weekender is an optional floor plan of the Sport.

I don't know why the reason for the price difference. Columbia Northwest (Aliner) is a small company and Forest River (FR) is a huge company in the RV world. I imagine FR is better at minimizing costs and streamlining production. Also FR may have the price set so low purposely in an attempt to harm Aliner and Chalet.

Time will reveal the quality of the FR trailers. Aliner certainly has had their share of problems over the years, just like most all RVs.

sushidog

Abita Springs, LA

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/11 03:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might want to look at the Chalet LTW too. They are in the $10-11k+ price range too. I think the Chalet's are at least as good if not better than the Aliners as far as build quality. Chalet uses a more expensive SIP floor that is lighter and better insulated than the std. plywood floor used by others. Not to say that Forrest River is doing this, but if I were them and trying to break into the Aframe business, I would sell my new units at or below cost to drive the competition out of business (as they are tiny in comparison and struggling, like most are during this tough time). Then when they have failed, I would raise my prices by enough to maintain my traditional profit margin plus a little extra to recover the money lost on my "intro promotion." Afterall, there would then be no competition at that point. All's fair in love and war.

Chip

ExRocketScientist

Laurel, MD

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/11 12:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought one of the original A-Liners in the spring of 1990 for $6000 out the door. I sold it in 2003 for $1000. Recently (about a year ago), the new owner let water get into the floor and rot it out. Other than that, it had been relatively problem free for 20 years. IMHO the A-Liner is the Airstream of pups. They are innovators who do their engineering homework.

By the way, it is my understanding the floors of the A-Liners are now insulated. I had insulated my own, which cut my propane consumption in half during cold weather. I was talking to the factory one day when I was making a mod (Columbia Northwest is very cooperative with people who are working on their A-Liners, especially mods). They asked me what all I had done. I mentioned the insulation (at the time I know they were not insulating them yet) and they asked me how I did it.

Did I influence the factory to improve the A-Liner?

ERS

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Folding Trailers

> Hard Side Folding Options
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Folding Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS