Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Kwikee Steps Extend Everytime But Wont Retract!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Kwikee Steps Extend Everytime But Wont Retract!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
thefivers

LAS VEGAS

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/11 09:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Coach is 1992 Safari Ivory with Kwikee Steps.

My Steps Will Extend EVERYTIME I open the door. My problem is they won't retract when I close the door.

I can lay under coach with control unit open and listen and watch relays close when I manually push door switch but steps won't retract. Occasionally they will close right away but MOST of the time I have to wait for them to retract, when they decide to.

I can walk away after closing door and a few minutes later, or 20 minutes later ( different every time ) the steps will retract.

I have went as far as removing controller board and resoldering the relays ( in case of cold solder ) and also lightly sanding the dark spots from the relay contacts. Still the same issue.

The Step brackets are not bent, they seem to move freely. Door switch is working properly.

Has anyone had this same problem? I have to sit in the coach and wait for the steps to retract before I can leave. They will always retract, just not sure how long it will be!

Is anyone experiencing the same problem and if so have you figured it out?

Thanks!

1992 Safari Ivory 36' Diesel Pusher 8.3L 4 Speed Allison

John&Joey

Some Location

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/11 10:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm glad you posted this thread. I was going to answer the other one, but I didn't want to hijack the OP's.

Quote:

"Is anyone experiencing the same problem and if so have you figured it out?"

Mine will do that, but very seldom. I'm thinking that the reason it does is because once I sit for awhile (with the steps out) the battery will discharge some during that time. Once I start the rig the alternator will charge the battery up enough allowing the steps enough power to work. My steps run off of the chassis battery.

I just replaced my 6 year old battery two days ago, so I can't tell you if it fixed the problem or not, since the problem was so seldom.

BluegrassBill

Woodland, Wa. USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/11 10:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Clean the Ground wire (Green )contacts. if you are lucky this will cure the problem.

Bill & Kathy Francis
95 Itasca Sunrise 29RQ,P32 454 Chevy, Banks,ECM chip.Safe-T-Plus, Bilsteins, Super Steer Bell Crank, Stewart Stage 1 Waterpump, Severe Duty Fan Clutch, OilGuard Bypass Filter, Coolant Filter. Rear Tracbar. 1-5/8" Front Swaybar.

thefivers

LAS VEGAS

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/11 10:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine has new batteries. I also get the same result even if plugged into shore power with the batteries being charged.

Its really a mind blower. I thought I had it fixed when sanding the contacts. Worked a few times but still exact same issue. Will stay in the open position and close when they feel like closing.

They Extend Perfectly, very smooth and quickly.

thefivers

LAS VEGAS

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/11 10:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll try the green wire. I did put a jumper ( Alligator Clip ) on it to the frame of the coach to see if it would help. No Luck. I can remove it and clean, then re-install to see if it helps.

Pangaea Ron

Anacortes, WA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/11 10:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As others have suggested here, try a strong magnet against the door/frame contact. It worked for me.

2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

thefivers

LAS VEGAS

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/11 10:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No magnet switch, plunger type switch. I can hold in my hand while under coach to work on it. I replaced it a couple of months ago to make sure it wasnt an intermittent problem. It was good.

Thanks!

Leeblev

Pinole, CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/11 11:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a similar problem. It finally broke two of the three bolts holding the motor unit onto the coach. I got a new unit, and before installing it, I greased every contact everywhere on the steps. Finally got one on the back shaft on the front side of the steps and suddenly the steps opened and shut with a fingertip. After reinstalling the motor unit, and making sure that the contacts, including the ground, were clean and Vaselined, the steps work properly. Been a year now, and I occasionally hit all of those places where the steps make contact with the shafts (most have bearings, but not all) and the steps continue to work very easily. Make sure every contact point is well greased.

Lee
2001 36' Kountry Star DP

thefivers

LAS VEGAS

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/11 12:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NEW NEWS >>>>>> What I have done is remove the 2 motor wires.

If the steps are extended ( out ) and I reverse the motor wires, the stairs retract everytime I push the door close switch ( on door frame ).

Then I reverse the wires back to normal ( yellow to yellow and red to red ), press the door switch ( on door frame ) and the steps extend again.

I can keep reversing the procedure and the steps will retract very smoothly.

Doesn't this tell me that the motor is indeed working in both directions? Does it narrow the issue down to being the control box? Could it be the control box that is not allowing the steps to retract and stay in the open position?

Or could the gearbox still have some kind of issue causing the retract circuit to not close the steps.

Am I using the Extend Circuit of the control box both to retract and extend the steps because I am reversing the motor wires.

If so then my problem must be in the retract circuit of the control box?

Thanks.....

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/11 12:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been my experience that most Kwikee step issues boil down to 3 things 1) low battery 2)bad ground & 3)binding/lubrication issues.

If your batteries good - double check the grounds. If those are OK then disconnect the motor swing arm from the step and check for smooth movement (good time to lubricate as well). The kwikee step doesn't work on limit switches - the motor stops when the current/resistance gets too high and the motor then sets itself to move in the other direction.

If all of the above are OK then go the the Kwikee website and download their PDF which explains how to diagnose the electronic control mechanism.

Kevin

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Kwikee Steps Extend Everytime But Wont Retract!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS