Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Water King USA Water Softener
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Water King USA Water Softener

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Les Curren

U.S.A.

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/11 01:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, finally some one who has first hand experience with the Water King USA system. I knew someone must have bought one of these units. No company stays in business for over 4 years with a 100 day money back guarantee unless there units work. That doesn't mean they will work every where, but at least there is one positive vote and no negative votes as of yet. Negative votes only count when they have first hand experience.
Thats not to say I don't want every one's opinion. You have to look at both sides.

RTompkins3

Jefferson, MD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/11 08:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check out these folks - The Water Packer dot com
I have the Travelsoft 1200 with an automatic valve and salt container they used to sell. They still have the "semi automatic" valve and salt bin, as well as several other water softeners.

I have had this unit since October of 2005.

I have been extremely satisfied with the Travelsoft 1200, using it for 3 years while working away from home and using the RV as a "Portable Apartment"

* This post was edited 06/21/11 09:15pm by RTompkins3 *

Ralph (W1KDK) and Cathy
2015 LifeStyle LS38RS 5th Wheel
HMC USN(Ret)

orgelmo

Full timing since Mar 2004

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/11 09:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While I can not tell you about the Water King, I can tell you about the Flow Pure, www.flowpur.com , I have the MK 8000, it uses a box of reg table salt, to regenerate. You let stand for 30 min, then completely rinse it out. You then do a small taste test to see if you detect any salt. This does not give a salt taste in your water.
I check the hardness with test strips, and that is when I regenerate it again.
I do put a filter in front of it, and I have a filter after it, in my wet bay. I no longer get that funky smell or taste in my water, and the water is VERY soft, nice for showers.
Go to their web site, they also sell filters and replacement for the filters. Been about 3 years now, still working well, AND no electric hookup.

Elmer & Sharon
USN-(62-66)
05-40 QDH Tiffin Phaeton
05 Explorer Sport Trac
FMCA # 124188
Good Sam Life Member
Hacksaw, Congo Gray Parrot
Aries, Himalayan Pussy Cat
Sophia Loren, Pug Puppy
Buddy, a Gecko

Les Curren

U.S.A.

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/11 10:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The problem I have with these softeners that use salt is the fact that even though you no longer taste the salt in the water it is still there. If it wasn't the water would not be soft. Only the taste is washed out. The doctors tell myself and my wife that we have to much sodium in our diet and need to cut back.
That is the reason we are looking at this Water King USA.

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/11 10:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Les Curren wrote:

The problem I have with these softeners that use salt is the fact that even though you no longer taste the salt in the water it is still there. If it wasn't the water would not be soft. Only the taste is washed out. The doctors tell myself and my wife that we have to much sodium in our diet and need to cut back.
That is the reason we are looking at this Water King USA.

whats left in the water from conventional softeners is sodium ions, NOT table salt (NaCl). for those on a low sodium diet, you can recharge most or all conventional water softeners with Potasium cloride instead. Slightly more expensive, but works the same.

what makes the water "soft" is the removal of Calcium and other minerals, not the addition of salt. the minerals stick to the coating on the pellets, the brine solution removes them from the pellets and is washed away.

BTW we use the "waterstick" portable water softener with our trailer. Conventional water softener, removes some iron as well. Very quick and easy to recharge and it's compact. Only disadvantage is that since it is smaller, it is limited in the gallons it will soften between charges. 200-1200 gallons depending on hardness.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison

2oldman

Ritzville WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/11 10:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Les Curren wrote:

The doctors tell myself and my wife that we have to much sodium in our diet and need to cut back.
You're planning on drinking a lot of softened water then?

aruba5er

Neenah Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/23/11 10:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For those who can't take any more salt, try using Potasium Cloride. It is supposed to be good for you. At least thats what the manufactuer says. It;s expensive, but even licking on a peice you can't taste salt. In 40 # bags and big chunks so for those portable softners you would have to smash it down

lawnboy1

Mission,Tx/ Palmyra,PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/11 10:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i use this one.

it works to our satisfaction. for the amount of time that we spend in the fifth wheel.

2oldman

Ritzville WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/11 02:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Les Curren wrote:

sodium in our diet....That is the reason we are looking at this Water King USA.
I looked at the WK website and it looks to me like they're a standard brine/salt softener. Maybe I missed something.

Clay L

Palisade CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/23/11 04:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

Les Curren wrote:

sodium in our diet....That is the reason we are looking at this Water King USA.
I looked at the WK website and it looks to me like they're a standard brine/salt softener. Maybe I missed something.

Yeah the name is a little misleading. You have to look at WaterKing . HEREThe one you were looking at sells real water softeners.

* This post was edited 06/27/11 11:41am by Clay L *

Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Water King USA Water Softener
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS