Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Battery not charging
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Battery not charging

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
sinkje

Arlington, Tn.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/11 12:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is probably a tec. question but here it goes. My converter is not charging my battery can any one tell me can I change out that part of the converter with out having to get a new converter. I have checked all my fuses and they seem to be alright.Is there anything else I can check. I have put a battery tender on it to recharge the battery will this hurt anything. Any help with this matter would be very much thanked.

John

2003 Dodge 2500 Diesel Quad Cab with 4.1 rearend
auto trans.and long box
2007 32TKB Challenger by Keystone
John

hmknightnc

Wilmington, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/11 12:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

John: If your sure it's your converter not working then I would recommend just replacing. Typically they are <$200 and bolt in replacable. Some are more difficult than others depending on location.

Make sure it is the converter before you do this though. Disconnect your battery (pull the negative lead) then check if the converter is providing power to the trailer (lights and other 12 volt stuff works) and measure voltage from the hot wire at the battery to the disconnected ground wire. If you have around 13.6 volts then the converter is working and the issue is more likely your battery

Tankcar

Santee, California USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/11 01:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi.
On the off chance have check the batteries themselve's? Possible check ground points. Do the batteries charge with the T/V plug in? I assume the battery connections are clean and tight.

sinkje

Arlington, Tn.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/11 01:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I replaced the battery first to no avail. Were is the converter I thought it was in the electical box or behind it because I could here a fan come on behind or in the eletrical box when it was working right.

Allworth

Orlando, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/11 01:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A shorted cell in the battery will "kill" the converter output.

By the way my Power Systems 9200 series converter will not work without a battery in the system. That may have something to do with the built in "battery tender" charging system. (So much for $385 converters. Ain't progress great??)

There may be a hidden fuse in the positive side wire somewhere between the output of the converter and the battery. Disconnect shore power and check the continuity on that wire with an ohm-meter. I had purchased a new converter last week and was about to start installation when I found a blown 50Amp blade fuse hidden behind the driver's side landing gear. Replaced the fuse and saved $384.

Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
2008 Titanium 30E35SA; EZ-Lube axles; wet bolts; spring hanger gussetts; BFG Commercial TAs
"Real Trucks Don't Have Sparkplugs"

garym114

Bluff Dale, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/11 01:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sinkje wrote:

I replaced the battery first to no avail. Were is the converter I thought it was in the electrical box or behind it because I could here a fan come on behind or in the electrical box when it was working right.

You're right, the converter has a fan. Wherever that noise is coming from is where the converter is.
You can leave the tender on, won't hurt anything.

2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

sinkje

Arlington, Tn.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/11 02:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just found the converter it was right behind the fuse box. Had to remove a panel under the compartment to get to it. There is no fuse in that I can see anywhere in line checked all fuses in the fuse box and all are alright. The converter is warm to the touch but no fan blowing. I did notice the fan was going on and off quit often before it stopped working. I found one e-bay for $125 just like it that is new.

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/11 02:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You need to determine the converter is bad - Just because you are not seeing DC voltages at the battery might be something else.

If you can see the wiring on the converter board find the + and - connections that say battery. If your converter is working it will always be putting out 13.6VDC. If you have 13.6VDC here and not at the battery terminals then you need to look for a battery switch, a in-line fuse, or a bad battery connection.

ALso if you determine the converter module is bad you probably dont want to replace it with the one that is in there. This is the time to make sure your converter/charger is a "smart mode" charger and probably be at least a 45AMP model or more.

What model is the converter/charger unit.

Another quick test on seeing if converter is working is to disconnect the battery and then turn on your ceiling lights in the trailer. Your converter has to be powered up by connecting to your shore power connection. If the ceiling lights come on then this is good indication your converter is working. The ceiling lights only use DC power from the Converter or the battery so this is why you needed to disconnect the battery so that only the converter will power up your ceiling lights..

* This post was edited 08/14/11 03:06pm by RoyB *

My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - PM me
Roy and Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS HOME SETUP ONLY
POPUP PHOTOs-Pg52

sinkje

Arlington, Tn.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/11 03:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just checked to see if it was putting out 13+ volts athe box it only show what the battery is charged at which is 12.5 volts. I also diconnected battey and I have no 12 volt lights at all and I am pluged in to electrical power. I did find fuses in back of converter and they are ok. I did unplug the converter and the fan came on for a couple of seconds then went off same thing on second time. Thanks for your help.

sinkje

Arlington, Tn.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/11 03:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The one I would replace with is 55amp converter which is the one in it. Which one would you replace it with. The one in it is a WFCO model 9855.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Battery not charging
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS