Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Dutchmen Aerolite
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Dutchmen Aerolite

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
DrDoom

Countryside, IL.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/11 12:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looking at a leftover Aerolite 718 QB. Does anyone have an opinion, good or bad about Dutchmen brand OR Aerolite trailers? This will be our first laminated sidewall trailer. I'm curious about that and how well the "fully wrapped underbelly" holds up.

2011 F150 3.5L EcoBoost 4X4 RC LB
2011 Dutchmen Sport 185DB
Pair of Yamaha Grizzlys 450cc and 550cc

the_happiestcamper

Mount Pleasant, SC

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/11 05:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two things I don't like about our Dutchmen. First, the vent over the stove is too far back, so the camper fills up with heat and carbon dioxide. As a result, we never use the stove top. The oven is fine, because it vents out the back of the stove, so the vent picks it up fine. Even with the bathroom vent going it is just unbearable to stand up while a burner is on. I've seen in photos from their web site that it appears that do that in many models. While they didn't have photos of yours, I did find some on a dealer's web site. I can't tell from the pics how far back your vent is - it might be okay.
The second is no front window or rear window. Most of our summer trips are boondocking in the mountains, and this cuts down on the breeze that we can't get going through there at night. We have to use battery operated fans - which eat up batteries pretty quickly.
As for everything else - love it.

Me ('62), DW ('61), DS ('97), DS ('99), DD ('03)
2003 Yukon XL 2500 8.1L 4.10 axle
2010 Dutchmen 28G-GS

CG's we've been to

dougsee3

Calgary AB

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/11 08:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some reading for you depends on the year and length you are looking at.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/16270386.cfm

JimInMich

Mi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/11 08:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougsee3 wrote:

Some reading for you depends on the year and length you are looking at.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/16270386.cfm

I am the author of the above mentioned thread. I want to add I just traded in my Aerolite. In 7 years of ownership, I never had any problem with it other than the paint on the frame tongue peeled of.

That said, I made sure I had a frame that was atleast a " C " channel type and the frame had outriggers ( triangular pieces of metal that supports the outter trailer walls ) on my new TT. The Aerolight did not have outriggers. It was always on my mind how weak the Aerolite frame was and I treated it as such.

11 Chevy Silverado Ext.Cab Z-71 4x4, 5.3 v8, 3:43 w/locker, Factory tow package, Equal-I-zer 1200#, Curt Class V Receiver
12 Cougar XLite 27RLS ( 960# Tongue, 6740# Gross as loaded)
Just the Wife and I.

DrDoom

Countryside, IL.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/11 11:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In reply, it's a 2010. I read the linked posts and they seem to be from several years ago. Hopefully, any frame problems have been addressed by now?

JimInMich

Mi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/11 03:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yours is an 18ft'er? The smaller Aerolites had no problem.

Does your frame look like the one in the 1st post ( full of holes ) and no out-riggers? If so, just be easy with it.

marcus6701

Central PA

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/11 05:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just bought a 2008 30bhsl Areolite. Roof was neglected and I had to fix it right after buying it. Bought it from dealer but they would not help me any. Not dealing with them anymore. So far its done good. The front is aerodynamic which works good on the highway. I'm not sure I like the light frame.

2008 30ft Aerolite, white interior, 2003 Suburban 6.0L 3.73 gears

LarryJM

NoVa

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/11 05:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrDoom wrote:

In reply, it's a 2010. I read the linked posts and they seem to be from several years ago. Hopefully, any frame problems have been addressed by now?

That might be true, but when we were looking for a new trailer back in 2007 we looked at Aerolites and I just didn't like the swiss cheese frame and the problems they had with certain models ... that says more about the general quality of the Aerolite engineering folks to make other mistakes. Also, the DW did not like the apparant to her and me the really cheap interior construction and lack of common features.

That's just us and obviously others are happy with them, but I would not own an "ENGINEERED FRAME" as they are commonly called.

Larry

2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

LarryJM

NoVa

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/11 05:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrDoom wrote:

So you want to buy on a hope from someone engineering types that obviously got it wrong in the past ... I would pass on that HOPE as you call it.

Larry

Kevin B.

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/11 07:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dr. Doom,

We have that very trailer and have had very good luck with it in the past three years. I did replace the Duro tires at 4k miles. They still looked OK, but I read this forum quite a bit and the consensus is that they are potential problems. The shower surround developed a horizontal crack but our dealer replaced it under warranty. Other than that, not another problem. A good dealer makes the biggest difference to your satisfaction. I watch the frame carefully and I don't think there is an issue with a trailer that year and that size.

Regards, Kevin B.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Dutchmen Aerolite
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS