Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Sewer hookup question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Sewer hookup question

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/12 08:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I keep the valves closed until ready to dump. As explained it is necessary for proper draining of solids from the black tank.

This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

WandaLust2

TN

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/12 10:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can check for the infamous black-pyramid by shutting off the water to the TT and looking down the commode with a strong flashlight. You may be surprised how much is still down there even when you dump with an almost full tank.

We fill the commode almost to the rim 2 to 3 times and swoosh it down to break up the 'pile' trying to form... a lot more stuff comes out then one would expect.

We also have a tank flusher but it doesn't work as well as a full bowl going down all at once.

WandaLust. Retired. Middle TN
Heartland 2011 NorthTrail 28BRS
1993 Ford Dutchman Class-C

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/12 10:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HappyKayakers wrote:

abc40kids wrote:

I hook the sewer hose up and keep all the valves closed ( keep out the odors not to mention what might climb up thru the hose )

Things climbing up thru the hose? Really? Been fulltiming for 6 yrs and never worried about that. Please let me know where you're camping so I can avoid at all costs

Sewer flies can come up thru slinky into holding tanks if drain valve(s) are left open.......then they live, breed and lay their eggs inside your tanks and when you flush your toilet or thru a dried up 'p' trap to sinks/shower or that forgotten washer hook up, they can fly out inside your rig. That's the only critter I know of that would be 'crawling' up out of sewer drain pipes.

AS for odors......if slinky hose is properly attached to sewer drain line, 'p' traps are holding water, air admittance valves working, tank vents working and toilet bowl holding water.......No Odors.

Keep valves closed, dump when level is high so rapid flush/weight of liquids flowing out can carry solids out and down sewer drain. Black tank first, then follow with grey to flush/rinse drain line/slinky hose. Put couple gallons back in black tank so bottom doesn't dry out. When flushing toilet fill bowl up so solids are carried down and into tank instead of piling up like a pit toilet.

navegator

San Diego CA.

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/12 11:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Make shure, that you have the apropiate, and correct addapters, to hook your sewer outlet, to the campground's inlets.

My RV, only came with a rudimentary hose, on one end the RV, the other end open, and remember one thing, flowing liquid with a little preshure, will disconect a hose faster, than you can shut a valve.

Make shure that you have god solid connections, one thing, that you may want to do, is before you use the tt, fill the tanks with clean water, and go to a dump, and practice.

Simple rules to remember, black tank valve first, leave black valve open, then open gray valve, gray water will help clean black valve, and or part of black tank if close and the drain hose.

Hope it helps Navegator

atomlinson

Hebron, KY

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/12 04:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So, if I go on a weekend trip to a campground with full hookups, and only put 2 days worth of liquids in the black water tank, I should leave it in there, because it's not at least 75% full? Keep in mind I have one of those black water flush out deals on my TT. I guess I could hook up a hose to it to fill it the rest of the way up, and then drain it, and repeat the steps a few times in order to give it a decent cleaning?

Andy
2012 Keystone Outback 280RS
2003 Chevy Silverado 1500HD

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/12 09:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

atomlinson wrote:

So, if I go on a weekend trip to a campground with full hookups, and only put 2 days worth of liquids in the black water tank, I should leave it in there, because it's not at least 75% full? Keep in mind I have one of those black water flush out deals on my TT. I guess I could hook up a hose to it to fill it the rest of the way up, and then drain it, and repeat the steps a few times in order to give it a decent cleaning?

If it only has 'liquids' in it........dump it on your way out or wait until next time.

If it has 'liquids & SOLIDS'.......add more water and dump or wait until next time if that is going to be within the next couple weeks. Just make sure you have enough liquids in tank that it won't dry out before next camp trip.

Using the flush/rinser is always a good idea when dumping. Get yourself one of those CLEAR 90* or 45* adapters and put it on between end of drain line and sewer hose so you can SEE when things are running clear when you dump/flush/rinse.

bukhrn

Lanexa, Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/18/12 12:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Eycom wrote:

Sage advice from skip.
X-2

2007 Forester 2941DS
2005 KIA Spectra
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/12 01:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we have full hook-ups, I always hook up the sewer hose, then open the gray tank valve, but leave the black tank valve closed.
Just before we leave, I close the gray tank valve to allow some water to accumulate, then add enough water to the black tank to get a good dump, then dump the black tank, flush at least three full toilet bowls of water down the black tank then dump the gray tank, disconnect the hose, rinse it, and put it away.

When we were full-timing, the gray valve was left open all the time when parked at a full hook up site. The black tank was dumped as needed. I didn't worry about having anything in the gray tank to "flush the hose" after dumping the black tank, I figured doing the dishes or taking a shower would do the job just fine. We never had any odors or bugs entering the coach while parked. Never.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad 1: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (and Toad 2): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

ferretgrandpa

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/12 02:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What Skip said

98 GMC 2500
RBW Lil Rocker 15K
08 Flagstaff 8526 RLS

abc40kids

Dale City,Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/12 04:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HappyKayakers wrote:

abc40kids wrote:

I hook the sewer hose up and keep all the valves closed ( keep out the odors not to mention what might climb up thru the hose )

Things climbing up thru the hose? Really? Been fulltiming for 6 yrs and never worried about that. Please let me know where you're camping so I can avoid at all costs
"Things climbing up thru the hose" just something I joke about with the kids and the wife..... Keeping the valve closed to keep the smell out is what I was getting at.
Wow, even my kids didn't fall for that one!

Jeff,Julie,Amber,Brandon,and Casey,Dexter(Golden),Bruno(Pug)
Forest River Cardinal 362bhs 2006
2005 Chevy duramax dually 4x4 crew cab,Ultra Goliath wheels with Nitto Dura Grapplers and Banks exhaust.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Sewer hookup question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS