Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Banks PowerPack on ISC 8.3 Cummins
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Banks PowerPack on ISC 8.3 Cummins

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
dennis45

BC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/12 10:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Banks kit seems to be a popular add-on for the older 8.3 rigs. Anyone have any experience with them? Aside from the added power, is there any improvement in fuel economy? I would like to put one on my 2003 Dutchstar.

* This post was edited 05/31/12 12:18pm by an administrator/moderator *

Dennis & Carol
2003 Dutchstar 40' 3 Slides, 8.3L ISC W/banks Kit 465HP,
Spartan Chassis
2013 Honda CRV Toad

Fishinghat

Western Washington, USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/12 02:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't have a banks kit on my Cummins 8.3 and don't know of anyone that does.

From what little I understand, the 8.3 doesn't lend itself to much improvment from a Banks kit, unlike the ISB or 5.9 engine. Many owoners of the 5.9 have installed the Banks kit and have had significantly more power, but some have noticed some problems with overheating or excessive strain on the transmission.

Holiday Rambler Navigator DP, Hummer, and Honda VT1100C Shadow

Sully2

Cincinnati

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/12 06:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SOME improvement in power....ZILCH improvement in fuel consumption!

2000 Country Coach Allure; Cummins ISC 330 HP; 71/2 - 8 MPG regardless
2002 Jeep Liberty

robatthelake

Vancouver Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/12 07:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm another 8.3 Owner Who doesn't have the "Banks Treatment". I have a Friend who just recently purchased a New to Him Rig that apparently does have the Banks System. I am eagerly awaiting the Day that I can take His Unit for a Drive and Test the added "Power" firsthand.

So far His fuel consumption seems to be about the same as Mine. That will play out Next Winter when we head south to Mexico for a much greater average Mileage check!

Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

emiddleb

Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/12 07:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, I do have the Banks Stinger system on my ISC, installed by the original owner before I bought it.

If you go to the Banks site you can view the official Banks report. They claim 92 increase in horsepower and 219 torque @ 2200, and improved MPG. True? Well, I can't tell you as I have no before-and-after. At one point my Ottominder failed, I used the bypass plug to restore what is supposed to be 'base' performance, and it was not as peppy as with the system working properly.

I don't have any complaints, no problems towing my car on a dolly up hills, etc. My MPG seems to be on the high side of what most say they are getting (9+) per my TripTek monitor. May be the system, might be my driving style.

Don't know if I'd pay for a new install myself, but am glad it came with my used RV. Only you can decide if whatever gains you get are worth the cost.

2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Roadmaster Tow Dolly

rvrepairnut

bc

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/12 07:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fishinghat wrote:

I don't have a banks kit on my Cummins 8.3 and don't know of anyone that does.

From what little I understand, the 8.3 doesn't lend itself to much improvment from a Banks kit, unlike the ISB or 5.9 engine. Many owoners of the 5.9 have installed the Banks kit and have had significantly more power, but some have noticed some problems with overheating or excessive strain on the transmission.

Fishinghat?? One should not post information about a system when one has not a clue about such(you)
The Banks fuel mangement system and the larger turbo actuater makes around 115HP and a lot more torque.It only works on 1998 thru 2002 and some early 2003 that still have the 2002 engine.In 2003 they changed the FI system.This system works like a hot dahm.I never really noticed any MPG difference but the power difference is very very noticable.Unit does not run any hotter and does not bother the allison 3000 one little bit.This post is directly from the person whom bought a system and self installed it.It Flat out WORKS

RLS7201

Very Very

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/12 08:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

See for yourself what Bank's says about their system for your engine. I don't think their dyno lies.
At least I got what Banks promised on my 460.

Richard

Galvanizd

Mogollon Rim For a bit.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/12 11:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

newbedr wrote:

The Banks kit seems to be a popular add-on for the older 8.3 rigs. Anyone have any experience with them? Aside from the added power, is there any improvement in fuel economy? I would like to put one on my 2003 Dutchstar.

Sounds like a simple question.

I've had one since 2003 on my Monaco . I drive at 58mph on the highway, pulling a 6000 LB GMC.

On a great day (flat terrain) I'll get about 10mpg. On an average day, 8 to 9 mpg. On a bad day , 7mpg.

I've got about 74000 miles on it. Can't speak too much about the power. I was told by the banks folks that if I disconnected it, I would notice the power loss. Never have.

I've taken it up the Tioga Pass (11000ft ??} in Yosemite and it did ok on the climb.

Previous owner put it on. Not sure I would spend the money on one. Thats largely cause we're usually not in a hurry.

randallb

On the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/12 06:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you honestly think Cummins would have left power on the table? Any one can make power but what is the sacrifice in longevity. We got the life of a 500CI Hemi down to less than a 1/4 mile but damn was it fun to try to make it last to the finish line.
Randy

rvrepairnut

bc

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/12 07:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

randallb wrote:

Do you honestly think Cummins would have left power on the table? Any one can make power but what is the sacrifice in longevity. We got the life of a 500CI Hemi down to less than a 1/4 mile but damn was it fun to try to make it last to the finish line.
Randy

It works fine and does not hurt the overall wellness of the motor or trans when used properly.Its really amazing the difference in power amazing.I went from 350HP/1050T to 470HP/1350T.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Banks PowerPack on ISC 8.3 Cummins
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS