Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Shake, rattle and sway?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Shake, rattle and sway?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
FunnyCamper

Southeastern

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/12 04:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

since I never owned a 5th before, I was wondering about the shaking.

in bed (up front) I noticed any movement sure makes it shake more than my TT. anyone walking thru the camper I could feel the bit more sway/shake while lying in bed.

I figure this is normal with 5ths, but I also remember seeing some 5th that have support bars/legs added underneath the hitch area.

Is that for that sway I am feeling? I don't see it alot but walking thru cgs I did notice some having that support added.

just curious because I don't know?

KMC6970

Houston, TX

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/12 05:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You will get lots of replys on this. You will need a tri-pod on the front, wheel locks between tires on one side, and snug everything up tight. A little more expensive way is get J T strong arms installed. That is the best way. Our Open Range came equipped with the JTs and I was able to get rid of the tripod in the front. No wiggle or jiggle at all. Happy camping.

WyoTraveler

Northwest, Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/12 05:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wait, they tow great. LOL I suspect because they have such high profile you are going to get more sway. I think with any RV, TC, MH, TT, or 5ver there are up sides and down sides to them. I added a tongue jack and it helped some. I also used some portable stabilizer jacks and placed them on both sides near the middle and they helped. I loved towing my 5ver but when it was parked with the slides out and it became a little windy I really got to hate that 5ver.

Now that I have camped in a TT, MH, 5ver, TC, and a tent there is no question if I ever fulltimed again I would buy either a MH or TT. Never another 5ver. I loved TCs for getting into the boon docks but I'm getting too old for that.

BTW I had a 2001 Alpenlite 32RL with 2 slides and fully loaded with generator, thermal windows, washer dryer, central vac system, upgraded furniture, every option that was available. Other than the sway when parked and the slides covering the furnace vents it was an awesome unit. When the wind blew hard and we were in Wyoming we had to close the slides because of too much sway and then had to sit with our coats on because we couldn't use the furnace. Did I mention they tow great.

2013 Monaco Monarch
2012 Jeep Wrangler
AC6CV, ex-WN8RUR, ex-W8RUR, ex-K7RIO, ex-WB6GBR since 1954
Commercial 1st class Radio Telephone, & Telegraph certificate
ARRL 35 WPM Certificate.

Kybiggray

Central City Ky

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/12 06:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had the sane issue on my 5ver. I had the tripod on the pin, not much better. I just installed the SteadyFast Stabilzer this weekend, no more felling like you are floating down the rapids in bed when someone walks through. Easy install and well worth the money.

Dr Quick

M'boro, Tn

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/12 08:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a very simple method to help with the "Shake". When the front landing gear just comes in contact with the ground or whatever blocking you are using, push one of the plate legs to the outside rear and the other one to the outside front. This will stop a lot of shaking. The lower expendable part of the leg is smaller then the top part, and there is a lot of play between the two parts. It may not stop it all, but will help a lot.

Dr Quick

Ford Man

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/12 08:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tow a 38 ft. 2013 Landmark with a DRW and very little SWAY while towing. I use chocks that fit between the wheels when parked and if I am staying more than 2 nights I will use my tripod under the hitch pin.

steelpony5555

Copperas Cove Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/12 09:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the OP is talking about the bouncing and shaking when parked not towing. First get some blocks or even the lego blocks and keep the front legs as short as possible. The more leg you extend the more chance of movement. Then get 2 of the BAL X Chocks for between the wheels. These I found to take most of the sway out. Other then that just make sure your rear stabilizers are down tight and check them the second day and snug them up again. Now you can get one of the tripods for under the king pin but they are heavier and bulky to carry. I have one but only use it if I am gonna be parked for a long time. If you want to spend some real money get the Strong Arms installed, end of shake and sway. Better yet have the 6 point leveling system installed.

06 Montana 3000RK
10 Dodge 3500 Dually Laramie 6.7 Diesel
07 Pearl White Ultra Classic (My new Baby)
10 Cadillac CTS
Texas Boomers---Stop by for a Margie some time!

bpounds

Whittier CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/12 09:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I vote for just getting used to it. What's the point in spending a bunch of money, and adding time to setup and breakdown? Do you really sleep that often while someone is running around the living area? My fiver is lighter than most, and I'm not bothered by a little movement.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Mile High

CO

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/12 09:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tried a tripod, but didn't think it did anything. Installed the JT Stabilizers and use Rotochoks to secure the wheels. It really makes a difference.

fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/12 11:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is another system similar to Steadyfast and JT Strongarm that works well and are manufactured by top notch folks. Give them a try.

Rat Dog stabilizers

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Shake, rattle and sway?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS