Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Parking it at home now.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Parking it at home now.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
EMD360

Arvada, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/02/12 02:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We handed the key back to the storage lot last weekend after dumping at their facilities one more time. After losing three batteries in the last couple of months, we decided to keep the RV at home where we can keep it plugged in.
A couple of neighbors are ignoring the CCNA regarding RV's parked at home--we don't have an HMO so we thought it would be better for it to be home in this hot weather.
I have installed an outside 30 amp plug and now I'll have to figure out how to stretch the dump to the sewer line about 40' away from the driveway. I have to remove the 4" plug in the line and replace it with something that can be opened easily. Does anyone know why there are two sewer cleanouts right next to one another? Do I have to get a camera to determine which one to dump into?
We are keeping the air on low to about 85 degrees so everything inside is not melting. I wonder if it is OK to keep the air on for weeks at at time though. Hope I don't wear it out.

We're hooked!
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e

PapPappy

Wilmington, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/02/12 02:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might want to consider one of those "flow-jet" type sewage pumps that will let you pump the Black Tank to where ever you want. They aren't cheap, but then again, neither is paying a plumber.

In theory, running the A/C all the time shouldn't make any difference, and may even help to keep the seals in better shape, than if it were to sit for months at a time. Of course, as with any appliance, it's bound to******out just when you need it the most

I'm trying to figure out why your batteries were going? Was your charger over-charging them? That would be same case, no matter where you plugged in, right? Or were they actually stolen?

Good luck

Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008 FMCA# F407293
The Pets

GrumpyandGrandma

CIncinnati, OH

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/12 02:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

EMD360 wrote:

We are keeping the air on low to about 85 degrees so everything inside is not melting. I wonder if it is OK to keep the air on for weeks at at time though. Hope I don't wear it out.

You run your home AC and your fridge(compressor) for months at a time with no problem why would the one in the RV be any different? You have to remember many people "full time" in their RV and many have exactly the same AC units which basically run all summer.

Grandma in front of her retirement home..
She lets Grumpy drive!!

rv2go

Fulltime (Knoxville, TN).... or someplace else

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/12 03:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

An economical solution for the sewer would be a Sewer Solution. This would work great if you are pumping level, even better if down grade. It should cost around a $100.

Run the air as long as you like. Depending on where I am located, mine runs months at a time. Do pay attention on the line voltage in the RV. Most Air's need about 105 volts to operate properly. 110 or more is better.

Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Travel Photos

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/12 03:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another option is build your own RV Macerator Pump.

darealmccoy

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/12 03:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I run my AC all summer long at about 80 degrees. Make sure the electrical cord is big enough to not cause a drop in voltage.

As to the 2 cleanouts, one goes one way to the sewer and the other goes to the house. A neighbor had a broken sewer line last year requiring replacing the entire run from the house to the street due to tree roots. They installed 2 clenouts with, I believe they are called street ells, the one closest to the street is pointed that way and the other is pointed toward the house. He says he was told that way the rotory thing can clear the entire run. I had never seen this before, must be something new in the plumbing trade. I would dump into the one closest to the sewer.

Dave

Dave and Anna McCoy
2012 Coachman Concord 301SS
2013 GMC Terrain Denali

gkainz

Arvada, CO, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/12 03:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My sewer line has 2 cleanouts close to one another - each drops into the main line with a sweeping 90* elbow to either face upstream or downstream... like a large "U" shape sitting on top the main line...

'97 Dodge 2500 CTD 4x4
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

travellerz71

Graniteville

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/02/12 04:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you take the caps off of the clean outs you should see one sloping toward the house and the other sloping toward the street. It is normally that way so a sewer tape will go in easier.

mlts22

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/12 12:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A Sewer Solution is good if you have a good water supply. However, if pumping uphill, I'd go for the $250 or so for the Flojet, a good quality high-flow grey water hose (clearly marked so it never gets used for anything else), and an attachment so it can drain in a cleanout without the risk of the hose falling out.

I did the lazy man's method with it. I had the macerator pump connected to a dedicated "poop battery", a 12 volt jar that didn't have enough energy to be useful for the trailer, but could handle the 20 amp load of the pump. For boondocking, it was a very easy method of dumping the tanks. I also recommend a clear plastic sleeve so you can see when it is almost done with water and shut it off faster. Every second the pump runs while dry damages it.

EMD360

Arvada, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/05/12 09:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the ideas and the info about the two sewer cleanouts. The house was built around 1981 so the two would not be a modern idea.
I am looking into both the sewer solution and the macerator pump ideas. I also was thinking we could use just a long drainage pipe. Amazon sells 50'of corrugated solid landscape 4" pipe for around $40.

With a couple Camco adaptors should be able to connect the 4" to 3" pipe.

Along with one of these for the sewer pipe opening.

I think this would be the cheapest solution--if it would work. We have good water pressure for the sewer solution but if we could get away with dumping and rinsing as we do now--seems like this would work.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Parking it at home now.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS