Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: poor returnability
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> poor returnability

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
joe0508

knoxville

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/12 08:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 30ft 92 chevy p32 motorhome.I have done a lot of work over the past year trying to solve this issue.I have greased the entire front end,replaces tie rods,draglink,bellcrank,adjusted ride height front and rear,6 new tires and adjusted pressure to weight,3 alighnments,checked steering box twice along with all the other steering components.It still has poor returnability and requires constant correction when driving the road.Can anyone give me a possible solution to this.

joe money

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/12 08:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

joe0508 wrote:

I have a 30ft 92 chevy p32 motorhome.I have done a lot of work over the past year trying to solve this issue.I have greased the entire front end,replaces tie rods,draglink,bellcrank,adjusted ride height front and rear,6 new tires and adjusted pressure to weight,3 alighnments,checked steering box twice along with all the other steering components.It still has poor returnability and requires constant correction when driving the road.Can anyone give me a possible solution to this.

Joe we have told you over and over about Steer Safe. What else can we do?

GS thread

Jerry B

Lake of the Ozarks

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/12 09:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Steering wheel return should be a function of castor. Put in a little more positive castor if it is adjustable.. Probably won't help much. My F-53 and P-30 before that took manual returning from the driver.

Jerry B
Mobile Suites 36TK3

semiretiredDIY

WA state

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/12 09:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

requires constant correction when driving the road. I'm guessing that you need more toe in. Have you had the alignment checked?

lryrob9301

Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/12 10:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jerry B wrote:

Steering wheel return should be a function of castor. Put in a little more positive castor if it is adjustable.. Probably won't help much. My F-53 and P-30 before that took manual returning from the driver.

This is the answer your looking for. Forget the spec for castor, get your alignment shop to adjust as much + castor in as your chassis will allow.

2013 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2011 Scion x/B Toad

joe0508

knoxville

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/12 10:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes i had the alignment done 3 times mainly because they kept telling me the couldnt get 6 degrees when i knew they could.I finally found someone that finally did get 5 degrees on one side and 5 1/4 on the other.I left it their since i seen little to no difference.I did install steer safe and it did help with the returnability but couldnt tell much about how it handled on the road.Becouse i didnt get far.Backed out of a parking space and as i was backing out i turned my wheels to the stop for a second and one of the springs popped.I put in the shop to get the spring replaced and havent been able to try it out since.because i had to return to work as a otr driver.

Daveinet

il

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/12 11:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you isolated every steering component to confirm that nothing is binding? Disconnect the steering gear box and see if you can easily rotate the wheels left to right by grabbing on to the tire and twisting. This has to be done with the wheels off the ground, but you should be able to move them easily. Also with the gear box disconnected, make sure it turns freely and does not bind. This could be hard to tell with the engine running as a result of power steering. If there is any binding in any of the steering components, it will make the vehicle go every which way but straight.

Dave

The Flying Fortress
FMCA F298817
'83 Revcon Prince 31' FWD
502 w/Howell/GM 16197427 ECM/Edelbrock MPFI,Thorley's & Magnaflows,
4L85E 4 speed, KoniFSD,
6% grade = wanna drag?
MISC photos
Revconeers Forum

Just Lee

California

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/12 10:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Steer Safe!!!!!!!! I had one installed in Quartzite in January and LOVE IT..

If It weren't for flash backs I would have no Memory at all
If you don't stand behind our TROOPS feel free to stand in front of them during a fire fight

2013 View Profile 24G
96 Tracker 4x4 Pushing a Mercedes.

In God We Trust

MountainAir05

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/12 09:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try this. Jack up the front end, wheels hanging. Start engine and do a full right, then full left and back to Center. Shut off engine and do the same thing. Now go outside and do the same thing using the tire to pull/push all the way both ways. Post back.

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/12 05:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Was the alignment done with the coach fully loaded like it would be on a trip or empty?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> poor returnability
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS