Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Winterizing
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Winterizing

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
stroza99

NY

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/12 05:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry I'm a newbie and I saw a sale for winterizing for $19.99 at an RV dealer that we bought our MH at. At Camping World they charge $120 for a "complete winterizing". What questions should I ask the dealer with the special? And what would be the differance?? This will be our 1st winter with our Rv and want to make sure things are done correctly for next season! We dont want to have any freeze problems!! Thanks for your help!!

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 33RLDS

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming... Holy Cow!! What a ride!”

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/12 05:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stroza99 wrote:

Sorry I'm a newbie and I saw a sale for winterizing for $19.99 at an RV dealer that we bought our MH at. At Camping World they charge $120 for a "complete winterizing". What questions should I ask the dealer with the special? And what would be the differance?? This will be our 1st winter with our Rv and want to make sure things are done correctly for next season! We dont want to have any freeze problems!! Thanks for your help!!
Difference - I doubt any difference. Cost me $10 to winterize my motorhome doing it myself. RV antifreeze is RV antifreeze so that should not be any difference in the materials.

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

bsinmich

Holland, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/24/12 05:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would sure ask what they include and what is extra. I don't see how anyone could do a decent job for that price. I personally use my air compressor at 50 PSI and blow out all of the water lines until only air comes out and all the spitting is done. The I go to the next faucet and keep going in circles until I get only air. Then I use the pink stuff in the drains. Be sure to drain the water heater first and put the plug back in before hooking up the air compressor. In the spring I don't have to flush the pink stuff out. If you have anoutside shower be sure to make sure that is clean also. Don't forget the toilet and rinse hose. When I winterize I also put Stabil in the gas tank and change the oil before sitting for the winter.

2003 Newmar Mountain Aire, Workhorse W22, 2008 Saturn Vue, Falcon 5250, & US Gear Unified Tow Brake

path1

Wa State (wet side)

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/12 05:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rv dealer just trying to get more business, nothing a matter with that-- IMO. But doing it yourself gives you the chance to look at things that might be preventable now versus $$ later. Learning is not hard, some dealers will teach you, (of course you pay) there is a ton of info at (ton of info)

1997 33 ft Holiday Rambler, Never again will a new RV come into this family
2003 25 ft Majestic M/H, Old RV rental Best travel machine we've ever owned.
2013 Arctic Fox Trailer, new to us, no opinion yet

Busskipper

Arnold,Md

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/12 05:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've used this method for years -- Free and I know its done right.

http://curtistrailers.com/rvlearning/blog/2009/Jul/08/winterizing-air/

If you need to use pink try this;

http://curtistrailers.com/rvlearning/blog/2009/Jul/08/winterizing-anti-freeze/

BOL,

Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
MDX-FMCA--M&G Brake
States traveled in this Coach

stroza99

NY

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/12 06:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone! I was going to wait on the oil change the begining of next season being that I'll need a new inspection in april. Is it just your preferance when its done or is there a reason to let it sit all winter with new oil?

Thanks again!

joelc

Hubert, NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/12 06:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look into doing it yourself. There are plenty of guides on the internet including those posted. It will take you 15-30 min depending on what type of unit you have. If you have it done by someone else, I would get something in writing stating that if you have any damage from freezing they will repair free of charge.

donhoward49

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/25/12 06:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Its really not hard to do-it-yourself. You learn by doing. also if you decide on a trip in Feb. you can come home and re-winterize. other items to winterise if you have them,, icemaker, washer, inline water filter.
Oil change? Most guys on the forums say to change in the fall so your bearings do not sit in old oil all winter, same for the generator.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Winterizing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS