Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: crockpot cooking on the road
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

 > crockpot cooking on the road

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
MarshaNichols

Salinas

Senior Member

Joined: 05/18/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/27/12 11:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

coribdx wrote:

I used to do that quite often. Just make sure that the lid is secure, and put it in your sink.


I have a crockpot with snaps on the lid...no way will that lid come off or stuff escape! There are several brands out there with snaps!

Bumpyroad

Virginia

Senior Member

Joined: 12/01/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/27/12 03:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

a little off topic but at Lowe's (OR HD) I saw one of those nuwave type convection/infrared round glass cooking jobbies for $28. would be nice sized for RV use.
bumpy





coribdx

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2006

View Profile



Posted: 11/27/12 06:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MarshaNichols wrote:

coribdx wrote:

I used to do that quite often. Just make sure that the lid is secure, and put it in your sink.


I have a crockpot with snaps on the lid...no way will that lid come off or stuff escape! There are several brands out there with snaps!


Yes, my current one does as well, but "back in the day" a couple heavy duty rubber bands from handle to handle over the lid and a towel around to keep the crock from moving around too much used to be my solution. Used to drive the hubby crazy with cherry cobbler cooking while he was driving down the road.

These days we're in a 5th wheel so I probably wouldn't do that as I couldn't keep an eye on it (and the Onan5500 generator uses a heck of a lot of gas).

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 12/18/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/27/12 06:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

A small inverter would obviate the need for running the generator. Hmmmm and a remote camera? But then--you would not get the wonderful smells either.

coribdx wrote:

These days we're in a 5th wheel so I probably wouldn't do that as I couldn't keep an eye on it (and the Onan5500 generator uses a heck of a lot of gas).



Regards, Don
Full Time in a Kustom Koach Class C 28'5", 256 watts Unisolar, 875 amp hours in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, Magnum 3000 watt PSW inverter.

snowdance

State of Jefferson

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/28/12 04:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have seen 12 volt crockpots in a couple truck stops. But have never read the box or looked close at them.. Saw them in Pilot and Petro stops..


Snowdance

We spent most of our money traveling... Just wasted the rest..

Chevy 7.4 Vortex
2000 Jamboree 23b Rear Kitchen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowdance38


shabr66

Northern California

New Member

Joined: 09/26/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/05/12 10:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have any of you tried a thermal cooker? Its a vacuum insulated pot that holds heat for long periods of time. They use no power (you heat up inner stainless pot on stove or oven then drop it in the vacuum insulated pot). They are pricey but Ive read a lot of positive reviews. I'm probably going to pick one up soon. Here is an example:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004P489NM/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1354729249&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

down home

south

Senior Member

Joined: 06/01/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/05/12 12:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like the idea but the inverter would be working overtime. Haven't checked the stats of it.
Running the generator to feed the thing would work but a half gallon an hour or so, for diesel, x6 hours or so, makes fer expensive pot roast.
Could get it going night before and turn the crock pot on low, going down the road? Might end up with thick soup?

Go Dogs

South of Pittsburgh, PA

Senior Member

Joined: 08/09/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/05/12 02:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

shabr66 wrote:

Have any of you tried a thermal cooker? Its a vacuum insulated pot that holds heat for long periods of time. They use no power (you heat up inner stainless pot on stove or oven then drop it in the vacuum insulated pot). They are pricey but Ive read a lot of positive reviews. I'm probably going to pick one up soon. Here is an example:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004P489NM/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1354729249&sr=8-1&pi=SL75


I think this sounds like a great idea. I looked at some reviews on Amazon. Seems that the inexpensive ones have unsatisfactory results, so you get what you pay for. I have taken a pledge to stop getting kitchen stuff, not doing so well, so I hope you enjoy it!





This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

 > crockpot cooking on the road
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS