Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Lance vs Arctic Fox
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Lance vs Arctic Fox

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/13 08:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The AF865 (non-slide) is available from select dealers like Apache RV. These dealers commit to an entire production run to get what they want.

Arctic Fox 811S-Honda Passport C70B-Interstate 20' Car Carrier-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Touring 150SE-VW 1200sp-VW Jetta TDI

View my profile for details of a short bed TC on 9' deck.

SD2013

Chicago

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/13 09:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BEDLAM,

Thanks for the infor, I wasnt aware of that.

The following is an excerpt from an interview thta TCM (Truck Camper Magazine) had with Doug Karr, Northwood Manufacturing’s Truck Camper Guy, on the 2013 Arctic Fox 996 Double Slide. It's where I got my information.

TCM: Let’s talk about the 2013 line-up for Arctic Fox. We know that the 2013 Arctic Fox 996 was added. Were there any other models added or deleted?

Doug: The Arctic Fox 865, our non-slide eight foot model, has been retired for 2013.

TCM: We really liked our 2010 Arctic Fox 865. Do you think you’ll build another non-slide Arctic Fox in the future?

Doug: We will certainly consider it, but it’s not in the cards right now. The demand for our slide-out models continues to be very strong. Our 992 has really taken off, and the 990 and 811 continue to be our most popular Arctic Fox models.

2012 F350 Supercab, 4x4, 6.2L, DRW, 4.30 axle, slide in camper package, 13,300 GVWR. Custom Reading service body, Torklift tie-downs, Fastguns, Stable Loads. AF 1150, wet bath, solar

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/13 09:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I love my 811, but you just about have to deploy the slide to easily get in and out of it. This is one aspect I wish I'd have considered when I was looking at truck campers, but alas, the dealers always display them with the slide deployed!

ALso check out the Wolf Creek models, they are built by Northwood and are a more basic (and lighter weight) truck camper.

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/13 10:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Apache had a brand new Arctic Fox 865 at the Seattle RV show this weekend. You will not find it in the brochures. The layout has the entire kitchen curbside with the refrigerator enclosing part of the loft. The street side has a booth in the rear and wet bath far forward. The loft is well isolated from the rest of the TC living space, but it does feel more confining than the open floor plan of an 811.

Led 67

Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/13 11:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I found this website on another post within this forumn http://www.visualsc.com/tc_calc.htm
It should help with your decision but remember there is no sustitute for experience so please feel free to ask any questions you may have

EfonFred

West Coast

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/13 06:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The DW really wanted a slide, and I have to admit that sitting in one I kept thinking Dammit!, she is right, this is really nice. After almost pulling the trigger twice on the Lance 855s, we ended up with a NL that fit our truck. Even the DW will admit now that we feel we have plenty of room without the slide. There is just the two of us but we are reaaaaaly happy with our decision. BTW, we spent a bunch of time looking at AF and Lance models and thought that AF held the edge in interior.

2001 Dodge 2500 QC, CTD, short bed
2013 Northern Lite 811 QC SE

bighatnohorse

Gig Harbor - Cave Creek

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/13 07:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

EfonFred wrote:

The DW really wanted a slide, and I have to admit that sitting in one I kept thinking Dammit!, she is right, this is really nice. After almost pulling the trigger twice on the Lance 855s, we ended up with a NL that fit our truck. Even the DW will admit now that we feel we have plenty of room without the slide. There is just the two of us but we are reaaaaaly happy with our decision. BTW, we spent a bunch of time looking at AF and Lance models and thought that AF held the edge in interior.

If you want to maintain that happiness, please repeat:
More propane is required to heat the space created by a slide.
A slide doesn't provide any additional storage space.
A slide adds more weight.
A slide is another moving part to go wrong.
A slide tends to leak heat.
A slide is another point for water penetration.
A slide is an added expense.
You made a good choice.

SD2013

Chicago

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/13 07:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All very good points when it comes to not having a slide. NL would have been by choice if I wasnt going full time. I really liked the "true fiberglass", clamshell construction and their very high ratings with the RV consumer organizations. But going full time I felt I needed the larger living space and the larger tank sizes available on the AF.

Its nice that Lance, Northwoods and Northern Lit offer a range of campers that fit a variety of lifestyles.

Mello Mike

Mesa, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/13 08:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bedlam wrote:

You can also check into the Wolf Creek line of TC's - They are made by the same company as AF, but lighter.

X2 My Wolf Creek 850 has been a great camper for my F-250. Same build quality as the Arctic Foxes but also much lighter. The Wolf Creek line does not offer any with slideouts, but that was fine with me. Slideouts add too much weight and with an F-250 every pound matters.

2011 Wolf Creek 850N/Polar Cub/240w Solar w/Morningstar SSD-25/Two 6v Lifeline AGMs
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Hellwig Big Wig/Torklift Talon Aluminum Tiedowns w/Fastguns
2011 Jeep Compass w/4x4 Package
US Navy Ret.
My Truck Camper Adventures

2BLAZERS

KEIZER, OREGON

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/13 08:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RichieC wrote:

EfonFred wrote:

If you want to maintain that happiness, please repeat:
More propane is required to heat the space created by a slide.
A slide doesn't provide any additional storage space.
A slide adds more weight.
A slide is another moving part to go wrong.
A slide tends to leak heat.
A slide is another point for water penetration.
A slide is an added expense.
You made a good choice.

Wow I did not know a slide out was so horrible I do love my camper with a slideout but there is myself, the wife, the growing 6 year old plus an 80# Rott, and another kid or two likely on the way in a few years

If it was just me I'd have a nonslideout 8.5-9' camper, but the family changes everything for me.

2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4*4 Black dually Laramie 4.10 gears
2011 Arctic Fox 1150 Drybath
2009 Polaris RZR w/fun parts
2011 Polaris Sportsman 550 XP EPS w/stuff
2006 Polaris Sportsman 500 w/stuff
1977 K5 Blazer 1 ton modified
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid (her car)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Lance vs Arctic Fox
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS