Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Added Sirius/XM radio to the Windsor!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Added Sirius/XM radio to the Windsor!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
MSHappyCampers

Columbus, MS

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/13 02:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I finally got around to adding satellite radio to the MH. I have been putting off doing it thinking it would be a lot harder (and more expensive) than it actually was.

I bought the Onyx vehicle package, part # XDNXT1V1, which included the radio, vehicle dock, mounting brackets, and outside antenna. I also bought the FM Direct Adapter, part # FMDA25, since my radio did not have an Aux input. I got the equipment from Sirius/XM. I got the main package for only $19.95, plus another $19.95 for the FM adapter. The regular price on the radio vehicle package from Best Buy was $79.95, plus $19.95 for the FM Adapter! I already had Sirius/XM in my truck so adding the radio in the MH was an additional $9.95 per month.

The hardest part was mounting the antenna on the roof. I drilled a hole through the front cap above the center cabinet, fished the wire across to the windshield post on the driver's side, down the inside of the post, under the dash, and over to the radio. Of course, I had to remove the trim from the post to get the wire down. The antenna uses a magnetic mount so I had to cement it to the fiberglass roof. I filled the hole in the roof with Dicor self-leveling sealant #502LSW.

Hookup was a snap! You pull the radio out far enough to get to the back, unplug the antenna connector and plug it into the female connector on the FM Adapter, plug the male antenna connector from the FM Adapter into the back of the radio, and plug the output cable from the Adapter into the Onyx radio dock. You then find a channel on the radio where there is not a station, only static, then go into the menu on the Onyx radio and set it to the same channel. The final step is to call Sirius/XM (or do it on-line) and activate your radio using the ID number.

I love satellite radio so I'm now I'm a Happy Camper!

Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT

campguy3040

Eastern Iowa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/13 07:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did the same install on my Vista. I too like XM Radio. I've had a sub since the late 90s. The Onyx is a great little unit. Good choice...... Looks nice on your dash.

2012 Winnebago Vista, Triple Slide Ford F53.
Blue Ox Tiger Trak track bar, RoadMaster Reflex Steering,&
"Cheep Handling Fix"
Blue Ox Alpha Tow Bar w/Patriot Brake System
Chevy HHR toad.

wallynm

Los Alamos NM

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/13 08:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought a couple of the XM radios several years back and was able to get a lifetime subscription service for them. Since XM and Sirius have merged they have dropped the life time subscription service, dropped some of our favorite programs, and raised prices on every thing else. They tend to do a lot more cross advertizing across there product line than they once did. We know several folks that have simply dropped them completely even with factory equipment radios. We feel fortunate to have completed the deal years ago and move them between vehicles.

DONATE THAT OLD CELL PHONE TO SUPPORT SOLDIERS click here

Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner Yahoo Group or FCOC Web Page

2002 DSDP 3567 PUSHED BY KITTY KAT

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

doc brown

Redondo Beach, CA,

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/13 08:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Added mine three years ago. Great to travel anywhere and still get my favorite stations.

Steve,Kathy,Josh & Morpheus the Basenji
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2008 Wrangler X Rubicon/Blue OX Tow Bar/Ready Brake

jimroach

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/13 07:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sweet set up. I absolutely love my Sirrius, no more hunting for radio stations!

As for lifetime subscriptions, they still do it, just got mine for the new A. THey don't advertise it on their site, but if you call them you should be able to get it set up. The Lifetime was $495.00

Jim, Bonnie,
2012 VW Beetle
2012 Fleetwood Southwind

Hudsoner

Hudson

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/13 07:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ihave the same xm radio. I placed the antenna inside of the front cap. I ran the wire under the A pillar cover up into the cabinet, and from there behind it, just under the front fiberglass. The reception is as good as an outside placement, but I avoided to make a hole into the shell of the rig.
I bought a second car kit on ebay and installed that in my toad. I just have to switch the controll unit to have xm radio in the car.

MSHappyCampers

Columbus, MS

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/13 01:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I ordered a vehicle kit (less radio) to install in the toad. The toad is my wife's everyday car so she can now have satellite radio when we're not using the MH!

I rarely ever take my radio off channel 17, "Love". My wife likes country music and I give in once in a while and let her listen to "Prime Country".

sailor_lou

Connecticut

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/13 02:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a docking station in the MOHO, DW's car, my truck and the house and simply relocate the XM/Sirius receiver from one location to another. We originally started with XM and at the time they only offered contracts for three years or less. However, after they merged we were able to upgrade to a lifetime subscription. The music selection is more important to DW than myself, but it is nice to not lose a familiar station while traveling.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy

SKIPCAROL

COSBY,TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/13 04:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gotta have my sat radio, use it more than TV. Had it since '06. Radio already was set up for it but had to get an accessory pkg inc antenna. Bought at Best Buy. They ran the antenna wire through the firewall into engine compartment. So I ran the rest of it up the middle of windshield to the roof. Covered with black elect. tape to top of windshield than white the rest of the way, Hardly noticable...been up there 6 years.

Carol, Skip & Buddy the Mutt

2005 Four Winds Hurricane 32R
2008 Chevy HHR Toad

Randy A

Central PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/13 10:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can't be without XM radio. Love channel 60, Outlaw Country they play what is call Alternative country or Americana. Some of the stuff is like what we used to call Southern Rock, Honky Tonk and even a little Folk music. Some very talented people you will never hear on FM stations. I have an Onyx that I move between my moho and into my shop when I am at home.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Added Sirius/XM radio to the Windsor!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS