Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: New TH / Genset ??
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> New TH / Genset ??

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Rotzilla

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/13 02:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We purchased a new TH this fall, it has a onan 4k generator, that has never been started. Should we fuel it up come spring and run the monthly maintanace routine, or should we leave it unstarted until we absolutley know we are going to use it. The trips we are planning this year should be at campgrounds with hook ups.

VintageRacer

Tatamagouche Nova Scotia

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/13 04:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would start it, warm it up, run it with a relatively high load for an hour, then do the normal maintenance. Until you start it you don't even know if it works, so you don't actually have a generator - just the promise of one. You need to verify it and learn how to operate it and then you actually have a known proper generator.

Brian

2005 F250 Supercab, Powerstroke, 5 speed automatic, 3.73 gears.
20 ft race car hauler, Lola T440 Formula Ford, NTM MK4 Sports Racer
1980 MCI MC-5C highway coach conversion
2004 Travelhawk 8' Truck Camper

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/13 11:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did the mfg or dealer put in enough gas to try it out? If so you need to excerise it or your going to wind up with a gummed up carberator. Ask me how I know.

TxTiger

North Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/13 08:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Definitely get it fired up. Break it in according to the instructions and then run it about once every three weeks to keep the fuel system clean and to "exercise" it. Excercise means you need to put a load on it to keep the generator in good operating condition. Also, put some Stabil fuel stabilizer in the tank.

2000 F250, 7.3 PSD, 6 speed manual, CC, SB
KZ 27TH Toy Hauler, 5,700 lb dry weight/8,000 lb GVW.

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/13 09:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As an Ex-engine professional, my advice (even when free) would be to:
A - Read the owner's manual
B - Check the lube oil level
C - Start it
D - Break it in carefully
E - Run it at load - when you are certain of its condition
F - Put it to bed for long term storage.
This last means fog the engine and dry out the carburetor. The manual may say more, if it does, do it all.
If it is more than a year before you use it again, change out the lube oil, it only last a year when it is open to the air.

Does he have any idea what he is saying??
I have two generators, one in the coach and one for the house. They are both over 40yo and will start and run at load anytime I hit "Start".

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dog going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Rotzilla

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/13 10:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I imagine that it would be good to know that it works before the warranty expires.

Just seemed like a waste of time and fuel to run it monthly for no reason.

Thanks.

christopherglenn

Near Yosemite

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/13 11:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are two reasons to run it monthly. One is to keep fresh fuel in the carb / injectors, and keep the oil circulating in the engine so nothing drys out. The second is to dry out any moisture that works its way into the windings on the generator. The buck or two of fuel you waste every month doing this is far less then even a simple carb rebuild. You will spend more on oil and filter yearly then fuel needed for maintance.

2007 Chevrolet 3500 CC/LB Duramax/Dually 4X4 Mine r4tech, Reese Signature Series 18k +slider, duratrac, Titan 62 gallon, diamond eye, Cheetah 64
2011 Keystone Fusion 405 TrailAir & Triglide, Centerpoint, gen-turi, 3 PVX-840T, XANTREX FREEDOM SW3012, G614

Rotzilla

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/13 04:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess it probably would be good to know if it actually worked before its out of warranty.

Just seems like a waste of time and fuel if I'm not going to use it for a year or more.

Thanks.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> New TH / Genset ??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS