Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Elio Motors
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Elio Motors

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
AlGreg

Northern NY, San Benito, TX

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/13 02:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been reading a bit about a new automobile startup in Louisiana. It's called Elio Motors. They purchased a vacant GM plant in Shreveport. It is a 3 wheeled car with 1 rear wheel and 2 front wheels. They are saying it will get 84 mpg and cost $6800. Standard equipment will include A/C, AM/FM radio, power door locks and power windows. It has 2 seats, one behind the other. Pictures, videos and other info can be seen at http://www.eliomotors.com/. My wife and I have 2 Smart Cars, one that we keep in South Texas and one that we keep in NY. I have seen many more negative posts about Smart Cars than positive ones, so I expect that most people will react to the Elio negatively. $100 down gets you on the waiting list for possible production in July 2014. We are thinking about ordering one.

tatest

Oklahoma Green Country

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/13 03:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For the purposes of licensing and motor vehicle safety standards, what they are proposing to build is a motorcycle. A large, enclosed, motorcycle, but not really any larger than a number of other trikes being sold today, and if they can meet that price point, much less expensive than most trikes.

It will be interesting to see how states apply tax, licensing, and safety equipment laws. When Europe and Japan were recovering from WW2, enclosed three wheelers were pretty common, and one of the reasons for that was that they were taxed as motorcycles rather than as cars. But motor vehicle tax structures in those places were, and still are, quite different from those in the U.S.

I think the picture of the family of four is kind of cute, considering that this trike is a two-seater. But in Asia, I've seen a family of four on a moped.

Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

The Texan

Wellton, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/13 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They are starting out with lies, so what else is on the platter.. If it is designated a motorcycle, like their FAQ states, then this FAQ statement is a bald faced lie.

Can I drive this with my existing license?

Most states do not require a motorcycle license to operate the vehicle, a regular driver’s license is usually enough. Check with your local Department of Motor Vehicles to be sure.

Bob & Betsy(FishNFanatic) - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"
'05 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, 400 Cummins-Pulling our '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/ the Rzr or ACE or a Quad riding in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

tatest

Oklahoma Green Country

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/13 02:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Texan wrote:

They are starting out with lies, so what else is on the platter.. If it is designated a motorcycle, like their FAQ states, then this FAQ statement is a bald faced lie.

Most states do not require a motorcycle license to operate the vehicle, a regular driver’s license is usually enough. Check with your local Department of Motor Vehicles to be sure.

Now that I think about it, it should read "most states require..." since having the motorcycle license, or endorsement, is one of the "check off" items for a state getting highway funds, like having a seat belt law, a DUI law, and requiring child safety seats.

Unless the manufacturer can get states to enact an exception, as some states do for electric bicycles and whatever they define as a "moped." In Oklahoma the thing is definitely a motorcycle, but we have a low rate of compliance on the motorcycle license law. We also have poor compliance with having a valid license to drive anything.

Mountain Jack

Shangri-La,Mountain in SW OR, above the Gold Creek

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/13 02:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Years ago they sold some Messerschmitt car's...

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=les%........aWM&fp=90d91c4868abcf15&biw=1600&bih=719

bigred1cav

ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/13 03:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I looked and could not determine if they are 3 down toads?

Any knowledge also tow system needed?

Dutch_12078

Great Sacandaga Lake, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/13 03:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Texan wrote:

The first two states that I checked from a Google search were CA and WA. Both states only require a standard drivers license for qualifying 3 wheel motorcycles.

"NOTE: Three wheeled motorcycles or a motorcycle with a side car require only a Class C driver license. California Vehicle Code (CVC) §12804.9"

"Motorcycles, Mopeds and Scooters Defined"

"Do I need an endorsement?"

I'm not planning to research all the other states, but that's a start.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Bowling Green, KY

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/13 06:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It does not appear the op was looking for an argument over if it would be licensed as a car or a motorcycle!
Quote:

I have been reading a bit about a new automobile startup in Louisiana. It's called Elio Motors. They purchased a vacant GM plant in Shreveport. It is a 3 wheeled car with 1 rear wheel and 2 front wheels. They are saying it will get 84 mpg and cost $6800. Standard equipment will include A/C, AM/FM radio, power door locks and power windows. It has 2 seats, one behind the other. Pictures, videos and other info can be seen at http://www.eliomotors.com/. My wife and I have 2 Smart Cars, one that we keep in South Texas and one that we keep in NY. I have seen many more negative posts about Smart Cars than positive ones, so I expect that most people will react to the Elio negatively. $100 down gets you on the waiting list for possible production in July 2014. We are thinking about ordering one.

Instead of the silly arguing over that issue, let's focus on the pros/cons of the vehicle itself. Thanks.

woodgeezer

Greater Salt Lake Valley,Utah

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/13 07:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Isn't there a three wheel maker in Spokane, Washington? Seems I remember a big to-do about their products and plans for making a "low budget" model.

Camp, Forrest, Camp!

Boise, ID

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/13 08:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think it's pretty cool. I could see buying one if I had a few extra bucks just for kicks. Most days in the spring, summer, and fall, I ride my motorcycle because it is easy on gas and easy to park. With something like this, I could "ride" all year.

-2000 Chevy K3500 CC DRW 7.4L, Auto; 2000 Arctic Fox 1150 WB; 1999 Bayliner Capri 1800LS Outboard
-Air Lift bags, Torklift tie-downs, Superhitch w/48", Rancho RS9000X, K&N FIPK, MagnaFlow exhaust.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Elio Motors
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS