Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Dinghy Towing: Ford Escape transmission
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Ford Escape transmission

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
EGBTR

Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/13 01:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just a word of caution regarding flat towing the Ford Escape. Mine is an early 2011 that was supposedly flat towable; instructions on how to do it in the owner's manual etc. Towed ok on one trip then on the next one the transmission got so hot that it nearly caught the car on fire. Had it transported to a Ford Dealer in Pensacola where the transmission was replaced. Had to go back and get the car a couple of weeks later - at my own expense of course. Have been doing battle with dealer and Ford Motors for about 3 months trying to get them to do something. Specifically, I want them to install a Remco transmission pump. Today they offered us $1000 toward the $3500 cost of installing said pump at the dealer. I would do it myself but Remco won't sell the pump to anyone except through a Ford dealer. Very frustrating. Will never buy another Ford product. In fact I wouldn't have bought this one had it not been for the claim that it was flat towable. Forum posts have indicated that many Escape owners have had similar problems. Some have had 3 transmissions replaced. You would think that Ford would get the message. How many customers do they have to lose before they correct their mistake? I should have bought a CRV.

Washington, DC

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/13 02:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from Forum Technical Support

The Texan

Home ... Toquerville, UT .. Summer ... Cascade, ID

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/13 04:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Give Ford and the dealer a choice, pay for the pump or additional transmissions as you intend to continue towing the car. When they realize you are serious, they will come around......

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"
2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/13 04:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Just a word of caution regarding flat towing the Ford Escape. Mine is an early 2011 that was supposedly flat towable; instructions on how to do it in the owner's manual etc.

[emoticon]
What did the rest of the etc. say about towing?

Did you owners manual state that you had to have a pump installed to tow or to run the motor every 250 miles if towed 4 down??

Would find it very hard that these instructions were not included in the manual.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/13 06:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"I should have bought a CRV."

Yessir, that is a true statement.
Or a Jeep Wrangler 4X4
Or a Subaru with manual transmission
or any one of a number of other vehicles that can be towed without any modification or trouble.
There is a Remco pump on my PT Cruiser. I'm thinking of removing it and disposing of the lines and assorted other junk, fixing the tranny fluid leak in the process. The car tows well on the dolly, I don't need the pump(or the leak).

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Daily Driver: '06 PT Cruiser Turbo
Toy: 1999 Dodge QC SWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X4
Other toys: a pair of Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

jbbrick

Near San Francisco

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/13 06:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There's a lot of discussion re this issue. I have a '10 Escape and like it a lot, V6 Auto and have towed it for thousands of miles with no problems. There are Ford TSB's re lowering the trans fluid level to stop foaming, the dealers should know about this. I had mine done (must be done by the dealer) and the work order specifically states that it was done per TSB for recreational towing. Nothing is mentioned in the manuals re pumps or any restrictions. I just came home from a trip, towed it for 1200 miles, no problems. I even check the temp with an infra red thermometer after towing and it's always cool, no more than 130 or so. Being cautious, about every 100-150 miles I stop and run the engine thru the gears and don't go over 60mph.

I'm a fan of Ford products and have had many vans, pickups, MH chassis and have never had any issues with any of them.

'02 Winnie Adventurer 32V
2010 Ford Escape toad

The Texan

Home ... Toquerville, UT .. Summer ... Cascade, ID

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/13 07:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jbbrick wrote:

There's a lot of discussion re this issue. I have a '10 Escape and like it a lot, V6 Auto and have towed it for thousands of miles with no problems. There are Ford TSB's re lowering the trans fluid level to stop foaming, the dealers should know about this. I had mine done (must be done by the dealer) and the work order specifically states that it was done per TSB for recreational towing. Nothing is mentioned in the manuals re pumps or any restrictions. I just came home from a trip, towed it for 1200 miles, no problems. I even check the temp with an infra red thermometer after towing and it's always cool, no more than 130 or so. Being cautious, about every 100-150 miles I stop and run the engine thru the gears and don't go over 60mph.

I'm a fan of Ford products and have had many vans, pickups, MH chassis and have never had any issues with any of them.
You must have missed the big change Feb of last year when FORD itself stopped all towing of the car with a certain build date, even though there was NO change in the transmission. Ford has a problem and instead of addressing it in a equal manner for all, they have given to some and denied to others. NOT good for customer relation.

rondeb

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/13 01:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ford Escape Info for the Remco Pump

This might give you some help. Ford has committed to put these in Escapes that need them.

Good luck

rondeb

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/18/13 06:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rondeb wrote:

Ford Escape Info for the Remco Pump

This might give you some help. Ford has committed to put these in Escapes that need them.

Good luck

I did forget to mention that these Ford Parts for the Remco Pump is for Escapes built before the magical Feb 2012 date.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Ford Escape transmission
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS