Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Extended warranty
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Extended warranty

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/13 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

About to get a new Fox Mountain 5th wheel. The loan process is being handled ny Priority One services. They're offering a 7yr warranty for $1,999.00. from an warranty Co. $100.00 ded. Covers everything except for damage done by tires. It also offers lodging if the unit is unliveable. Fox Mountain is made by Northwood Manf and seem to be very solid. Most appliances are only 1yr warrented. Sometimes it doesn't take much to ring up a good repair bill. Just not sure if I should get it or not. My current TT has been trouble free for 2-1/2 yrs, which really isn't that long. Didn't buy the extended warranty with it, and IIRC I don't think the dealer even offered it. The price seems decent enough but I know they're a making money off me or they wouldn't be selling it. Any thoughts.

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/13 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of debate. The experts say skip them.
First, you are double covering...because you already have at least 1 year of coverage on your unit- thus you are getting 6 years or less for your money.

Second, if you roll the warranty into the financing, you are really paying a lot more than $2K because of interest over the life of the loan.

Lots of very fine print and "outs" on these things. Lots of "not covered," lots of, "claim denied," Lots of strict stipulations.

Will the warranty outfit even be in business next year, many aren't.

Anyway, congrats and enjoy your new rig.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."
GMC Duramax LBZ
Komfort
Reese Dual Cam HP
Our Rig Picture...CLICK HERE

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/13 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Totaly agree, I'm leaning towards not getting it, just looking for some insight that may change my mind. You hear some horror stories and some guys with 2yr warranties are really glad they have them. 7yrs could easily be a good thing on that account. I haven't even seen a copy of the warrantee, just heard it from the Priority One rep. One good thing, if there is one with extended warranties, is that I can get it serviced anywhere. Doesn't have to be back at the dealer. The closest Fox Mountain dealer is 75 miles away, and the dealer we're buying from is 300 miles away. So in that sense it may save some money if I had to drive that far a few times for work.

gemsworld

Sunny Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/13 11:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ask for a copy of the service agreement. Take it home and read it carefully, specially the exclusions. You will probably opt to keep the $2K in your pocket. Good luck!

n7bsn

Yes

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/13 11:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shop around, I would not be surprised if you can beat that deal.

Personally we didn't bother, we figured between Northwood covering any of their errors, and my ability to fix things, we would be fine.

2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

john b

anywhere USA!

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/13 11:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goducks10 wrote:

Totaly agree, I'm leaning towards not getting it, just looking for some insight that may change my mind. You hear some horror stories and some guys with 2yr warranties are really glad they have them. 7yrs could easily be a good thing on that account. I haven't even seen a copy of the warrantee, just heard it from the Priority One rep. One good thing, if there is one with extended warranties, is that I can get it serviced anywhere. Doesn't have to be back at the dealer. The closest Fox Mountain dealer is 75 miles away, and the dealer we're buying from is 300 miles away. So in that sense it may save some money if I had to drive that far a few times for work.

It really depends on a flip of the coin as we had some friends that were on the road and had a big side by side fridge go bad and thus they were in luck because of the warranty and that was an expensive fridge.
I had another close friend have a smaller fridge and a convertor also so he made about a break even point but that is not always the case. JMHO jb

2001 F 350 CC PSD 373 rear,auto
RBW X16 slider,Bedsaver,Prodigy,Fold A Cover,Pressure Pro!
2011 Crossroads Cruiser cf32mk Patriot edit. 5th wheel Fibreglass and all the goodies necessary,Dish,comfy loungers,and a nickel to spend,
Mr & Mrs and the PUP.

kopy kat

reno, nv

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/25/13 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had 4 months left on a 6 year policy on my motor home--used it once last year to replace the electric motor on my electric steps--cost $1200 originally - went to see about transferring the remaining months this week onto my new 5th wheel---and found out that the company had filed BK last November...oh well...not going to put an extended on the new 5th wheel...

2013 Flagstaff 8528ikws---"Camp MiMiPaPa"

invstr55

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/13 11:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I waited till one month before the end of my manufacturers warranty before buying an extended service agreement,this way not have a lot of duplicate coverage. These are agreements with insurance companies and over all are loosing propositions for the purchaser as all insurance products are designed to be. Questioning if the company will still be in business is a valid concern and a good reason to purchase from a company that does more than just insurance.
I bought a 6 year agreement from GoodSam, it is fully transferable for a $50 fee, usable at any repair facility, and refundable should the RV be destroyed. I feel that there are enough expensive systems that may fail during that period of use that for me this is good for peace of mind from large unexpected repairs. If nothing breaks then I win because I did not have to deal with doing repairs, if something breaks I win because i did not have to pay for the repair on top of dealing with getting it done.

Happy Camping

2012 Dutchman Voltage 3905
2014 HD Limited
2012 Ram 3500 Dually

fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/13 11:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Run away fast

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

thomasmnile

Deltona, Fl.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/25/13 01:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goducks10 wrote:

About to get a new Fox Mountain 5th wheel. The loan process is being handled ny Priority One services. They're offering a 7yr warranty for $1,999.00. from an warranty Co. $100.00 ded. Covers everything except for damage done by tires. It also offers lodging if the unit is unliveable. Fox Mountain is made by Northwood Manf and seem to be very solid. Most appliances are only 1yr warrented. Sometimes it doesn't take much to ring up a good repair bill. Just not sure if I should get it or not. My current TT has been trouble free for 2-1/2 yrs, which really isn't that long. Didn't buy the extended warranty with it, and IIRC I don't think the dealer even offered it. The price seems decent enough but I know they're a making money off me or they wouldn't be selling it. Any thoughts.

I bought the third party plan when we got our new Jayco TT. It had manufacturer's "pro-rate option" which essentially meant the third party coverage would not start until all manufacturer (RV and appliances) warranties were expired. Yeah you can self insure by setting aside cash if you have the money. But I have the plan if it's needed. I have life insurance, auto and homeowners, I ain't praying to collect on them either................

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Extended warranty
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS