cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2013 and 2014 Emissions System Using Mexican Diesel

Ed_White
Explorer
Explorer
Today is the last day of summer, and fairly soon a bunch of "Snowbirds" will start heading for their winter destinations, including Mexico.

I've posted a ton of information about using Mexican diesel since 2007, but I like to give an update at the start of every winter season.

For those with an interest, see the text pasted below regarding the effects of sulfur in Mexican diesel fuel on the DPF and SCR of our trucks.

SULFUR IN MEXICAN DIESEL FUEL โ€“ AN UPDATE
FOR OWNERS OF 2007.5 THROUGH 2014 PICKUP TRUCKS

This informational article summarizes the latest available data regarding the effects of sulfur in Mexican diesel fuel on pickup trucks from the 2007.5 model year through 2014. It is based partly on โ€œreal-worldโ€ experiences with Mexican diesel fuel, shared with the author by Snowbird pickup truck owners over a 6 year period, but also references the scientific knowledge base that has been built up through emissions system research, and laboratory testing by manufacturers of pickup trucks. Nothing contained herein is to be interpreted as an endorsement or encouragement by the author for owners of 2007.5 and later pickup trucks to drive them into Mexico. The article is written in the interests of information sharing. How you choose to use the information is your own responsibility.

For those who are not yet familiar with this topic, Mexican diesel fuel contains higher levels of sulfur than is mandated in the USA and Canada. The ultra low sulfur fuel in Canada and the USA contains no more than 15 parts per million of sulfur, while Mexican diesel can contain up to 500 ppm. As a result, there is a potential while driving in Mexico for โ€œsulfur poisoningโ€ of emissions system components to occur in pickup trucks which have diesel particulate filters (DPF) and selective catalytic reducers (SCR) included in their exhaust systems. DPFs were introduced in the 2007.5 timeframe, and SCRs were added in the 2011 model year.

THE GOOD NEWS

Despite the potential for emissions system problems, there is some good news, because, consistent with laboratory test results prior to 2007, all 2007.5 through 2010 model year diesels, whether Ford, GM, or Dodge, are continuing to tolerate well the higher sulfur Mexican diesel. While there are minor issues, like the occasional emission of blue smoke in the exhaust during a regeneration cycle, (i.e. When soot is being burned out of the DPF), these occurrences are temporary and rare. All of the testing prior to release of the DPF equipped pickups indicated that there would be no permanent degradation of the emissions system, as long as higher sulfur fuels were not used for more than 40,000 continuous miles. The real-world field evidence certainly appears to be supporting those predictions at this point in time.

For the 2011 and 2012 model years, some owners have been seeing Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) warnings from time to time, but in all of the cases made known to me, the warning messages have cleared following a 15 minute high speed run, OR during subsequent heavy trailer towing, OR after the next regeneration. All three situations raise exhaust gas temperatures high enough (sometimes above 740 degrees C at the SCR) to purge sulfur compounds from the system.

The DEF warnings, if they occur, only seem to happen after a fifth wheel or other heavy trailer has been disconnected, and the truck has been driven around locally in Mexico for several weeks. The lower exhaust temperatures, when there is no heavy load to pull, permit the gradual build up of sulfur compounds until the efficiency of the emissions system is reduced and an error code is triggered. There is actually nothing wrong with the Diesel Exhaust Fluid, even though that is the message displayed. It is simply a case of the engine computer interpreting higher than specified NOX (oxides of nitrogen) in the exhaust as evidence that the DEF is not doing its job.
THE โ€œNOT-SO-GOODโ€ NEWS

Unfortunately, the 2013 model year appears to have brought with it a bit of a complication, because, it seems, the Environmental Protection Agency made changes to the requirements for monitoring NOX (oxides of nitrogen) in the exhaust for 2013 and beyond. Monitoring has to be more frequent than was the case for earlier models, and NOX reduction must remain within a tighter tolerance level. In addition, regenerations are less frequent because less soot is being produced due to less exhaust gas recirculation in some of the 2013s. As a result of the delayed regenerations and tighter NOX monitoring, 2013 and later model year diesel pickups appear to be more likely to register fault codes while in Mexico, and the process required to clear the codes is more complex.

Also for 2013 and later model years, some owners have noticed that the distance which can be travelled after a DEF fault is triggered, and before โ€œlimp modeโ€ (maximum speed 4mph) is initiated, gets accelerated with time. This means that the available non-limp-mode miles disappear more quickly than warranted by the distance travelled. This in turn can create a lot of stress, because it is a very upsetting experience to see a message on the dash that your truck will be in limp mode in a few hundred miles or less.

The key to clearing the fault situation for 2013s, and likely also for later model years, if the fault situation even occurs, is to get the truck to do a regeneration. This is because the regeneration process burns the sulfur from the SCR and returns the NOX processing part of the emissions system to normal operation. Once the emissions system is able to again properly reduce NOX levels, the engine computer stops thinking that there is a problem with the DEF.

FORCING A REGENERATION CYCLE

Unfortunately, there is no direct method an owner can use to force a regeneration, but feedback from owners in Mexico over the 2012/2013 winter season resulted in development of what appears to be a very practical indirect method. Apparently, EPA regulations require regenerations to occur more frequently, approximately twice as often, if there is a problem with the DPF pressure sensors which measure soot load in the DPF. In other words, disconnecting the DPF pressure sensors can force a regeneration, provided that more than half the normal distance between regenerations has already been travelled. I have personally seen this procedure used on more than one Duramax powered 2013, and it DOES work.

As mentioned in the previous paragraph, how soon the induced regeneration will be triggered depends on what distance has been travelled since the last regeneration. The theory is, if more than half the normal distance between regenerations has already been travelled, the driver will immediately see a message advising that a regeneration (filter cleaning) has started and to keep driving until it is finished, up to 30 minutes, at highway speed.

If half the normal distance between regenerations has not yet been travelled, it could be anything up to a couple of hundred miles before a regeneration is triggered. Odds are though, for excess sulfur buildup to have occurred in the SCR, and a fault condition to have been triggered, it is very likely that more than half the normal distance since the last regeneration has already been travelled.

Bottom line is, knowing how to unplug electrical power to the DPF pressure sensors on 2013 and later model years will usually allow an owner to trigger a regeneration, which in turn purges the SCR of sulfur compounds, and clears the DEF warning.

THE FUTURE

Hopefully, before too many more years have passed, Pemex will refit its refineries to produce ulsd diesel, and this annual complication for many Mexican snowbirds will be eliminated for good. ULSD is already available at most Mexican border towns and cities, and in some larger non-border cities, but the higher sulfur fuel is still widely distributed throughout Mexico.

While we wait for Pemex to make changes, anyone needing more specific information, or with a personal experience to share, can contact me directly at whitetmp@aol.com. Please note that there is no information available yet for the latest model Dodge pickups, because the 2014 model year is the first year for Dodge using DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid). As a result, there is no real-world field experience to draw upon, and I would welcome input to help improve the knowledge base for all owners.

Irrespective of the manufacturer of your pickup, if it requires Diesel Exhaust Fluid, be sure to take LOTS with you into Mexico. I recommend at least 5 gallons, because the only confirmed source in Mexico at this time is Napa Auto Parts, which will special order DEF from the USA at around twice the normal price.

Ted White
September 22, 2013
26 REPLIES 26

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
many nay sayers

I am not a nay sayer. What I suggest is those who have a recent US made diesel engine do some research and investigating about their specific engine before they take it to Mexico. Checking the facts will help you to make an informed decision. Because others have done it does not provide the needed information. Questions to ask.....

Can using fuel other than the fuel the engine was designed for cause any future problems with that engine or any of the related systems?

Is the engine equipped with some sort of computer which will in some way tell that improper fuel was used when checked by techs in the future?

How much might it cost to repair or replace any component of the system that has problems due to using improper fuel?

What happens to a warranty on that specific engine if use of improper fuel is detected?

I think there are probably lots of other questions that should be asked. They should be asked of the specific engine manufacturer and not someone talked with in an RV park somewhere - or a local mechanic - or a dealer - or any rumor on some internet forum.

If an engine owner has any concerned they should do the research to determine the facts and base their opinion and decision making on what they learn.

It is entirely possible that you may decide it is fine to take your specific vehicle and engine where the fuel it is designed for may not be available. But why would you risk some very expensive repairs without knowing the options in advance?

In the US every 15ppm diesel pump is marked with a sticker telling us what is coming out of that pump. Will Mexico ever have similar sticker? If this sticker is not seen is it safe to ASSUME this fuel is safe to use in your specific engine?

We very much encourage everyone to visit Mexico as we find the whole experience to be one of the most enjoyable things we do. But it is different and we know we need to learn all we can about everything we need to know when we are there. This is not "nay saying" - it is simple basic common sense!

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
GPS in the ECM? More of a reason to stick with my old vehicles.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Well my truck is not an issue, but but I am sure you are correct

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Tequila: GM techs have strict orders to inspect why there are irregularities when they hook up to your ECM. So if you were having drivability problems and they either found you were using a chip or that there was an abnormal amount of regens they would want to know why. The ECM would likely show sensor problems. If they suspect it is due to using the wrong fuel the tech will take a screen shot of his computer and shoot it off to GM. Then that VIN loses the powertrain warranty. They take these matters very seriously. A quick oil analysis could show high sulfur content. I know that new OTR truckshave a GPS in the ECM. I wonder if the new PU's have the same? Big Brother might be watching!

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
I would produce the documents stating that all of mexico will be ULSD by 2009 and plead ignorance.

The engine manufacturers will surely be more than happy to immediately reinstate your warranty as soon as they hear you say you did not know - they are all very accommodating that way I am sure.

stanbnv
Explorer
Explorer
Since we bought our Dodge in 2006 knowing that this law was coming, I don't really have a dog in this hunt. Every time Ed White posts this many nay sayers pile on without even reading the origional documents on tests run by the EPA that he first linked to many years ago. Of course the engineers at Ford/GM/Chrysler won't tell you anything different than the company line, which is the law, by the way. They could loose their jobs, and maybe even be prosecuted. Several people that stay in the La Penita RV park in the winter and have for many years have newer than 2007 pickups, and as I said in an earlier post, they have not ever said they have ever had problems. I don't advocate taking your newer pickup into Mexico, just like going to Mexico with gasser, you go at your own risk.
Stan & Linda
Hobo the Cat & Loki
06 Dodge 3500 CTD 6 sp Quad Cab Bighorn
2017 Open Range Roamer 316RLS
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
The Texan wrote:
Most folks forget, or in the case of the OP, ignore the fact that since 2010 ALL diesel vehicle manufacturers have installed software to "know" and document what is being used as a fuel. Ford & GM both state in writing that the use of ANY fuel other than ULSD will, not may, WILL void the engine warranty. I guess many feel that they are rich and love to gamble, but you need to think hard about the consequences of voiding your warranty.

I would produce the documents stating that all of mexico will be ULSD by 2009 and plead ignorance.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins ,Cat and Detroit Diesel make engines for many countries. Not just the USA. They all have different standards. The Cummins you see in a Mexican KW that is sold for the Mexican market does not have a need for DEF or a DPF and ULSD. Probably meets the 2002 EPA standard. Cat hasn't made any US or Canadian engines for OTR vehicles since about 2008. Most of their engines would not meet the 2007 standard so they just gave up. There are some 07 and maybe 08 MH's that have the Cat and they do require ULSD.

Moisheh

stanbnv
Explorer
Explorer
briansue, My 2006 Ram was built in Mexico. I remember reading somewhere that some manufacturers of diesel engines were no longer making engines that don't comply with the US laws. I doubt that KW makes Cummins or other diesel engines in their plant, my guess is that the engines are built somewhere else and shipped in as needed. I also heard that Cat was no longer making truck diesels.
Stan & Linda
Hobo the Cat & Loki

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Most folks forget, or in the case of the OP, ignore the fact that since 2010 ALL diesel vehicle manufacturers have installed software to "know" and document what is being used as a fuel. Ford & GM both state in writing that the use of ANY fuel other than ULSD will, not may, WILL void the engine warranty. I guess many feel that they are rich and love to gamble, but you need to think hard about the consequences of voiding your warranty.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Last year I went to KW and Navistar dealers and looked at a few new Class 8 tractors. No DPF. Just a regular muffler. I will check again in November.

Moisheh

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
stanbnv,

Kenworth trucks built for Mexico are built at the Ken-Mex plant in Mexicali (http://www.kenmex.com/index.html). Many vehicles are built for the Mexico market that are not required to meet US standards or run on US fuels. It is only vehicles built for the US market which must comply with US law. Interestingly enough they also build Kenworths for the US which do comply. Freightliner has several plants in Mexico as do Caterpillar and John Deere. All US carmakers have plants in Mexico which build cars for the US market but also the Mexico market and other markets around the world. Cadillac Escalades and Lincoln MK something are built in Mexico. Ford pickups and Chevy pickups are built in Mexico. Most PT Cruisers were built in Puebla. Only those built for operation in the US must comply with US regulations - whether emissions or safety. When in Mexico we see many vehicles that are not available in the US - as we saw many VW beetles for many years after they were no longer sold in the US. Renault, Puegot, Seat, and a number of others can be seen at new car dealers in Mexico - and various models from the Big Three US makers can be found in Mexico that will not be seen in the US. Many foreign makers have plants in Mexico and ship cars to the US. Many foreign makers have plants in the US too - BMW - Mercedes - Hyundai - Toyota - Honda - and all the rest all have plants in the US. The largest truck factory in the world is the Swedish Volvo plant in Virginia. US pickup trucks built for Mexico to run on Mexico fuel do not have to be built to run on US fuel.

stanbnv
Explorer
Explorer
Like Tequila, I know several 2007.5 and newer pickup trucks that come down to La Penita every year and have not heard of anyone having any problems. The only problem that I heard about personaly was that someone with a newer GM rig was having problems with the ??? fluid and had to have someone bring down a different brand. I wonder what all of the dozens of brand new KWs, three piggybacked on a fourth, that passed us heading east on MX 2 between Santa Ana and Sonoyta last March as we were leaving, will burn when they are placed in service. We lost count after about 36 had gone by us.
Stan & Linda
Hobo the Cat & Loki

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Ed, this is a couple of questions and not a challenge...

Off hand how many different diesel rig owners with particulate filters so you recollect talking to?

Has anyone you ever talked with given forth compelling evidence that having driven AT LEAST 20,000 miles in mainland Mexico with their rig, that they had for some reason had their rig into a dealer and had a comprehensive code readout of the ECU performed?

Opinions run rampant, fireside tales sometimes take on a life of their own and curiosity overwhelms me.

Petroleos Mexicanos MUST by federal Mexican law, provide ULSD to Mexico, the city before anyone else in the country gets regular diesel replaced. NO ULSD is manufactured in Mexico. It all comes from the Shell Oil PEMEX joint venture refinery in Deer Park Texas.

PEMEX is changing process units in Salina Cruz Oaxaca and Salamanca to provide UBA premium gasoline as an alternative to PEMEX premium red pump which currently is produced in the USA as well.

Providing brand new SULFUR PLANTS AND TREATERS to existing refineries is a HUGE job. It involves using HUNDREDS OF TONS of Sulfuric acid and caustic soda, yearly. A "Coker" plant. Thinking Petroleos Mexicanos is on the verge of introducing Mexican UBA diesel anywhere in Mexico is wishful thinking. When Mexico (the city) gets UBA from a Mexican refinery, the shouting, the fireworks, the hyperbole will be heard all the way to Point Barrow. That will just be D.F. The rest of Mexico will follow "in good time".