Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: How old is too old?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> How old is too old?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
C Schomer

Buckeye, Az.

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/13 10:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just sold a 98 SB and bought a 2008 SB. Mainenance is as important as the original quality. The 98 needed the usual things... AC cleanings, bearing packing, brakes etc. I stayed on top of everything and it was still as reliable, or moreso, as anything out there. Even had 16" LT's, 2 yr old tires, new solar and upgraded suspension. Sold it for $9200 and the new owners have texted/called me 3 times to tell me how happy they are with it. Craig

03Dodge QC HO 5.9 Dually NV5600, 4.1 Rear WD, PS 62/65/14 turbo, TST/PMCR, 4" exh, PRXB Pacbrake, Rancho 9000s, FS Airbags, Onboard air/in-cab controls, Custom hauler bed. 2008 Sunnybrook 30RKFS-LTD Our 3rd SB 5er. WHOEVER INVENTED WORK DIDN'T HAVE AN RV!

Old Duck

Albany, Or

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/23/13 06:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Heck, our stick house was built in 1911 so I expect the 5er to go that long......

Seriously other than what has been said, to me it can also come down to technology in the newer rigs than the older. Ours is an 05, tank gauges aren't too accurate, no propane tanks that slide out, no 6 point levelors, etc. we've updated some things like a flat panel TV, but for the most part aren't too concerned on the trinkets. We purchased it used, looked first at the floor plan we wanted, then condition till we found the right one.

shadows4

Kansas City, Mo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/23/13 07:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our 5er in Sig is 9 almost 10 years old. We have had it almost a year. We had to put some money into major repairs this summer. But it doesn't matter because it is the 5er we wanted. Sure we would rather have not had to put out money for a new roof or to repair delamination issues. But for us it was worth it because we loved the floor plan and could afford to pay cash for it. New or used it is what you feel comfortable with. It's only to old if your not willing to put out the time, effort and money to maintain it. Happy camping, John

2003 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,7.3L diesel, 151,000 miles
2004 Coachmen 278 RKS Fifth-Wheel
Reese 15K slider hitch

ventrman

Dickson, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/24/13 04:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RetSgt7114 wrote:

FWIW, I have an 11-12 year old unit that I picked up which had barely 7000 miles on the odometer. The unit obviously sat more than it was used, but this left me with a unit that had an almost brand-new interior. Cushions, rugs, drapes, bedding, etc, looked new. I had the motor checked out and after fluid changes, I am on the road with a REALLY inexpensive RV that does everything that a $100,000.00 unit can do. All the money saved gets us more gas to travel so we're happy with that too.
I have never seen a 5th Wheel that has an odometer.

God Bless!

MM49

Brighton, MI, USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/13 08:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have brand new RV and it breaks down monthly. Mine is on the road every week. There are so many systems that were designed incorrectly. Once I re-design the failed system I never have another problem with that issue. I just wait till next week and discover another problem. I you like an RV, buy it. I can't see how age could make a RV less reliable.
MM49

partsman01

Poco British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/13 10:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My first one I bought was a 1989 Lynxx and bought it in 2005, then bought a 1999 coachmen in 2009 then bought a 2004 in 2010

mike54

Crystal Lake,IL. GO BEARS

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/28/13 03:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we had a 2011 Travel Trailer we bought new but we wanted a fifth wheel to get ready for fulltiming in a couple years. We found a 2007 Montana 3500rl that had a great layout, looks to be taken care of so we traded ours in for the Montana. I don't age means much if it's taken care of.

Mike & Marsha
West Allis Sunshiners
2007 Montana 3500rl
2005 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins diesel

525pilly

Vancouver, WA USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/13 12:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I once bought a 13 year old TT. The previous owner and I both did engineering field work and basically full timed in it while on field assignments. Assignments could be from a few weeks to several months, so it didn't get a lot of mileage. The original instant gas water heater had been replaced with an electric domestic unit. It would be considered pretty crude by modern standards, but there were no inverter, converter, circuit boards or electronic gadgets to go bad. It was 22 years old when I had to replace the electric heating element in the refrigerator. It was 26 years old when I sold it, still working.

We currently have a 1988 Terry 5r. Other than the tank gauges being of questionable accuracy everything is original and still working. The previous owner full timed in it for about 6 years and maintained it well, we have taken it to Alaska and back.

Condition and maintenance are more important than age.

eaglegph

White Lake Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/14 07:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had a Pace Arrow MH...parked on grass let a roof leak go an ultimately junked the MH. Tough lessons. Purchased a super clean one owner 2001 Chev 3500 Silverado long bed gasoline 2WD one year ago. Yesterday (after 4 months of searching) I purchased a 93 Jayco 32 ft with one slide, loaded...incl washer/dryer. The seller owned it for. 10 years...former RV mechanic. I am humbly blessed and aopreciative...this is a bucket list goal...I dont discriminate the old stuff...my boat is a 1978 25 ft Tiara 7 years of use in Lake StClair MI....wish me luck

trbill2003

Briish Columbia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/14 01:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is such a subjective thing. We have a 2000 Cardinal and have used it a lot. We have had a couple of serious problems with it caused by squirrels and a water leak. The leak was due to a tear in the rubber roof after hitting a branch. I have fixed both and we have installed new floors and upgraded our furniture. The unit is solid and we plan on keeping it longer. We are about to leave for Arizona with it and this summer we will be going up to Yukon. We live in Southern B.C.

Bottom line is a used older trailer can be just fine. It will be a lot cheaper then new and therefore there is money left to fix things like a furnace or water heater if they break down. If the trailer is solid it can last for years, if it was not well made to begin with it is not worth the repair. Older units will not look as shiny as new so that may be important to you as well.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> How old is too old?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Good Sam Club | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS