cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tool box for TV

hyattjlbb
Explorer
Explorer
Upgrading the TV to a 2009 3500HD D/A SRW and this will give me an 8ft box. Will I have room to put a low-profile over the rail tool box on and still allow for 5vr pivot room? Let me know your thoughts, thanks in advance!
Jamie - KE0NSE
2011 Jayco Eagle 365BHS
2019 Chevy Silverado CC SRW 3500HD, Max & Alli
Beautiful Wife of only 24 Years:B
Boy at College - 21yrs,:C
Boy - 15yrs:p
13 REPLIES 13

07PSDCREW
Explorer
Explorer
blkdodge wrote:

When you get done washin yours can you come over and wash mine?

Ha ha ha. :B
2007 Ford F350 6.0 CC SB
Fully bulletproofed/EGR/ARP Studs
Reese 16k round tube slider hitch.
2000 Damon Hornet 2850BH 5er :B
Days camped 2011= 34 2012= 46

07PSDCREW
Explorer
Explorer
B.Sjulestad wrote:

That is one nice truck

Thank you! I try to keep it in good shape..
2007 Ford F350 6.0 CC SB

blkdodge
Explorer
Explorer
07PSDCREW wrote:
I agree. The under the rail boxes look sharp and hitch line of sight is retained. I have an RDS 60 gallon toolbox/fuel tank combo. Very handy for what I need.

When you get done washin yours can you come over and wash mine?
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW/2012 Heartland Landmark San Antonio.

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
I have a low profile box that sets up about 2" over the bed rails and a 6.5' bed length with a slider hitch. The slider handle just touches the utility box when in the tow position. No issues with the 5er and utility box and I can see the hitch from my front seat. I would think that a long bed would have even more room.

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
I found an uner the rail bos on Craigslist for a decent price . One of these days will have a cap and with a short box needed it. Most the time it's pretty empty since it's main purpose is to have a place for things out of the rain if we have people in the back seat.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
hyattjlbb wrote:
I would love to do a below the rail box as I agree, they look much better and save the rail paint. However, up here in ND we get too much snow and I want to keep it out of the box by using my toneau cover. Figured if I went above the rail, could still get to stuff without rolling up the cover and keeping snow out. Roll up cover would be mounted from the toolbox to the rear but I am not sure if the nose of the 5vr would have swing room with the height of the toolbox?

You need to increase the rail to 5er to match the height above the rail the tool box is. Mine sits on the bed floor so for lumber I have a 6' bed, I have thought of placing the box on some 2" Unistrut under it, it would likely be about 1" taller than the bed rail not a big issue.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

hyattjlbb
Explorer
Explorer
I would love to do a below the rail box as I agree, they look much better and save the rail paint. However, up here in ND we get too much snow and I want to keep it out of the box by using my toneau cover. Figured if I went above the rail, could still get to stuff without rolling up the cover and keeping snow out. Roll up cover would be mounted from the toolbox to the rear but I am not sure if the nose of the 5vr would have swing room with the height of the toolbox?
Jamie - KE0NSE
2011 Jayco Eagle 365BHS
2019 Chevy Silverado CC SRW 3500HD, Max & Alli
Beautiful Wife of only 24 Years:B
Boy at College - 21yrs,:C
Boy - 15yrs:p

B_Sjulestad
Explorer
Explorer
07PSDCREW wrote:
I agree. The under the rail boxes look sharp and hitch line of sight is retained. I have an RDS 60 gallon toolbox/fuel tank combo. Very handy for what I need.

That is one nice truck
Bob & Dianne
2016 GMC Denali 3500HD 4x4 DRW D/A
2013 Cedar Creek 36ckts
Emmy,Sassy and Flower our 4 legged kids

B_Sjulestad
Explorer
Explorer
Paul Clancy wrote:
I wouldn't do an over the rails box just for sight lines to the hitch

X2 but you now have the capacity to have one with a extra fuel tank
Bob & Dianne
2016 GMC Denali 3500HD 4x4 DRW D/A
2013 Cedar Creek 36ckts
Emmy,Sassy and Flower our 4 legged kids

07PSDCREW
Explorer
Explorer

2007 Ford F350 6.0 CC SB

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't do an over the rails box just for sight lines to the hitch

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Allworth wrote:
You will have plenty of room for any box up to 27" front to rear.

I have a 23" box under the 4-fold tonneau and still have room for a large ABS cargo box in front of the hitch rails.

I have an under rail tool box as I still have a cap. Problem i haven't used the cap for about two years as we go out too often.

You can see it here in a picture of our modified Reese hitch handle.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
You will have plenty of room for any box up to 27" front to rear.

I have a 23" box under the 4-fold tonneau and still have room for a large ABS cargo box in front of the hitch rails.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"