cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dewinterize or not?

Buckeye_Chuck
Explorer
Explorer
We are putting our 5th wheel on our seasonal site Saturday April 12th. We are in South Western Michigan. The weather forecast is for highs in the 50's and low 60's but there are a couple of days in the 10 day forecast where the low temps will be as low as 26 degrees. My question is do I do I dewinterize or not?
2012 F250 Lariat 6.5ft. bed, 6.2L, 3:73 Gears
2013 Sabre 33CKTS-6
19 REPLIES 19

Buckeye_Chuck
Explorer
Explorer
Temps got down to 23 degrees this morning. I'm driving down to the RV Park to check out the water system this afternoon and then probably turn on the furnace and set it to 45 and turn on the water heater.
2013 Sabre 33CKTS-6

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
Were in the Northern Texas Panhandle. I dewinterized so we could camp at the local lake. I would not trust it here. I wont trust it once we drive back up. Ive farmed about 45 years and Ive seen bad freezes clearto end of April. Ill put my heat on about 35 and run generator ever so many days to keep batteries up. Cant afford the chance.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
i am in north eastern PA temps swing mid high 60s to low 20s this time of year and Northern tier state parks open up for the Trout Season opener depending on location. I am camping this weekend.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

CashandCompany
Explorer
Explorer
We're in the Chicago area and dewinterized last Saturday at our seasonal site. Our water is flowing. We're camping baby!! (well, at least on the weekend).
๐Ÿ™‚

jeff__h
Explorer
Explorer
One way to think about it: It is safe to dewinterize when the seasonal campgrounds turn their water on. They have more at stake with 200 water lines sticking out of the ground two feet. If they were going to freeze, that would be an easier target then your insulated underbelly of your 5er.

Our campground turned on the water 4/1. We went camping on the 4th and dewinterized.

I'm in southern Ohio so YMMV.

Buckeye_Chuck
Explorer
Explorer
skipnchar wrote:
If there's a doubt why not wait until closer to when you're planning on using it. Dewinterizing would only take an hour or so (water system only) so shouldn't be a big rush to get the job done if weather is doubtful.

We are planing on putting it on it's lot this Saturday and spending the night. I plan on sanitizing the water system Saturday. We will use bottled water for cooking, dishes etc. I will dump the water tank and hook up to the RV park's water on Sunday. The 10 day weather forecast is for temps to be as low as 26 on Monday and 30 on Tuesday with highs in the mid 40s to low 50s. Just pondering what to do. After this winter we are anxious to be camping again.
2013 Sabre 33CKTS-6

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
I just did ours this past weekend in prep for this weekend. SW WI here. I'm not worried a bit.
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Central Indiana resident here! (a little South of you). My vote: No! Wait till you actually use the camper the first time, then do it. This winter has been to weird and cold. I just don't trust the weather man. I have not de-winterized yet. I'm a lot doubtful and since we are not scheduled for any road trips right away, it's staying winterized! FYI, it turned COLD again today here! And rain! Not freezing, but sure felt like winter again!

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
Good question. I'm wondering about the same thing. As a weekend camper I've given some serious though to getting out this up coming weekend. It would be a good shake down trip. But, here in SW MN the temps could still get bad yet at this time of year. And they are talking low temps of 25 degrees next week. I think I will probably risk it and leave a electric heater turned on inside the camper on those cold nights. I will also put it inside the shed during those times. If I do this and fire up the water heater on those cold nights I'm hoping for the best.
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
I dewinterized two weeks ago. I did blow the lines out when we got home. Took all of 15-20 minutes to blow the lines. Good luck, John
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
skipnchar wrote:
If there's a doubt why not wait until closer to when you're planning on using it. Dewinterizing would only take an hour or so (water system only) so shouldn't be a big rush to get the job done if weather is doubtful.

Sanitizing will take more than 1 hour.
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
A few hours below freezing will not damage anything. If nervous, you can always set your furnace at 45-50 for peace of mind.
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
Camped last weekend in central IA!
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad