cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Picked up new (to me) Host Everest

thejustin
Explorer
Explorer
My tow vehicle is a F350 DRW 4x4 Crewcab Lariat w/ 6.2 gasoline engine with a payload rating of 5000+ lbs. With the exception of upper (a7200) Torklift Stabeloads, my suspension is stock.

I previously had a Host Tahoe 1050 DS on there which clocked in at approximately 4000 lbs. and it handled great so I was comfortable with moving up to a larger camper. One thing I am grateful for is that the two primary campgrounds I use throughout the year offer fresh water fill up as you pull into the campground loops so I can make the drive down with the tanks empty which saves a ton of weight.

I was actually going to order a new Host Mammoth or a Chalet TS116 but I had some gentlemen locally back out on buying my camper at the last second and he royally screwed up the deal I had set in place to purchase a new one. So after a delay in selling my Host Tahoe, there was a pre-owned Everest for sale here in Alaska that I jumped on. I had to drive from Anchorage to Fairbanks (400 miles) to pick it up but it is *EXTREMELY* difficult to find a quality pre-owned truck camper here in Alaska so I bit the bullet and committed to drive down and purchase.

The exterior looks very similar to my Tahoe (which was an 07, this Everest is an 08). When I stepped inside I was blown away by how absolutely massive it is. It is more like a class C RV than a truck camper. Love the side entry door. My first TC was a Lance 1161 with the side door and then I went to the Tahoe which had the traditional rear door which I did not like.

I was very impressed by the basement storage. With my Tahoe when I went camping the back seat of my truck was full with extra gas cans, my Yamaha generator and miscellaneous fishing supplies. Now, I can put it all inside the sliding basement storage compartment and keep my leather interior clean. The one thing I did not like was discovering the black locking latches on the basement storage compartments use the evil CH751 lock (whoever invented the CH751 needs to die a slow and painful death). Any Host owners out there replaced these locks? I am going to try and swing by a locksmith and see if I can get these re-keyed just to have a bit more security.

I drove 400 miles back home with the camper and it handled fine. Was able to put the cruise control at 65 mph, lock out 6th gear and drive home comfortably. Left to right it is level, but front to back it does have some squat. Local shop quoted me 810 bucks for a complete air bag system inclusive of parts and labor. I am thinking of doing the Timbren SES and Torklift lower stableloads first before bagging the suspension. Like I say, it handles fine, all I'm looking for is maybe a reduction of 2-3 inches in the rear sag and I'd be happy. From what I've read the Timbren SES will do this. Will probably order this week.

One more thing, the guy I bought it from was carrying the camper on.......... a SRW........ F250!!!!!!! He had about every suspension mod imaginable but I still found the fact that he had it on a 3/4 ton amazing (he told me he didn't feel comfortable going more than 35 mph down the road though....) I guess he bought the camper intending to upgrade to a one-ton DRW down the road, but circumstances forced the sale of the camper. He sold it to me below low-book value so I was appreciative of the deal he gave me since it was barely used and is as-new on the inside and out. Still need to dewinterize it (you can see a bit of anti-freeze in the shower there) I can't wait to Memorial Day to go out King Salmon fishing and break her in. Hopefully I'll have the suspension dialed in by then.

Here is a picture on the road home from Fairbanks to Anchorage

Here she is at home parked in the driveway.

42 REPLIES 42

egarant
Explorer III
Explorer III
I carry an Eagle Cap 950 and have the exact set up you are asking about. My truck can carry the weight without squatting and when engaging both the Timbrens and lower Stable Loads the back is actually higher than the front. So unless I am towing a heavy load, I disengage the Stable Loads and just use the Timbrens.

I purchases the Stable Loads first and purchased the Timbrens to stop the side the side rocking when entering driveways and the like, they work like a charm.

If you are unlevel from side to side then airbags would be a better option.
2021 FORD F350 dually 4x4 with 4.30 gears
2013 Eagle Cap 950
480 Watts Solar, 3K VictronConnect Multiplus II, VictronConnect smart DC-DC charger, VictronConnect 100/30 solar controller, 250 amps of lithium batteries by LifeBlue

thejustin
Explorer
Explorer
805gregg wrote:
Looks like a good setup you have put together. I especially like that rear sofa and the low bed height from the floor

Low bed is nice. I remember in my Lance 1161 it seemed like you were climbing a mountain top when you were trying to get from the floor to the bed in the cabover

The bed is not low, the floor and center of gravity is very high, amazing that camper is only 3295 lbs according to Host. I wonder how much these camper sway down the road seeing as the floor is above the sides on a pick up truck, and how high over all are this type of over the top camper, looks nice in pics I wonder what the real world driving mountain roads is like?

The bed height is low relative to the floor height because as you point out the floor height is higher. And it may list 3200 lbs as the weight online but that is dry with zero options and one slide. The other two slides are optional and add a lot of the weight. My decked out triple slide weighs 5000+ lbs. easy.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
805gregg wrote:
The bed is not low, the floor and center of gravity is very high, amazing that camper is only 3295 lbs according to Host. I wonder how much these camper sway down the road seeing as the floor is above the sides on a pick up truck, and how high over all are this type of over the top camper, looks nice in pics I wonder what the real world driving mountain roads is like?

I can tell you that my Host can drive fine with both a SRW my '06 F350 or DRW my current '10 F450. My camper tag weight is 3571. I don't think there is anything special about Host basement campers compared to other brands with respect to center of gravity and weight up high.

Of course, extra large holding tanks could "hold" it down if you were really worried about tipping over. That's a joke, but the holding tanks are huge.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Explorer1016
Explorer
Explorer
Good morning All, I emailed Dave Hogue yesterday and he promptly responded. If you have an '08 vintage Host, you more than likely have Power Gear slide mechanisms. That's what Dave told me mine are. I then emailed Power Gear and they (promptly again) emailed me 4 "Tip Sheets" regarding measuring for alignment and then the "how to align" Tip Sheet. Thanks for the help. Great camping weather here last night and this morning. Almost record low temps. Here at the house it reached the mid 40's. Great sleeping and bonfire weather.
2008 Host 300 Super 'C'
2008 Ford F-550 Chassis
Diesel
4x4
Lariat crew cab
20' enclosed car hauler/garage
'87 Jeep rock crawler
Turbo'd

805gregg
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like a good setup you have put together. I especially like that rear sofa and the low bed height from the floor

Low bed is nice. I remember in my Lance 1161 it seemed like you were climbing a mountain top when you were trying to get from the floor to the bed in the cabover

2003 Dodge Quad Cab 3500 SRW LB Cummins diesel, Banks Six Gun, Banks exhaust, Mag hytec deep trans pan, and Diff cover. Buckstop bumper, Aerotanks 55gal tank, airbags, stableloads Bigwig stabilizer, 2003 Lance 1071 camper, solar and generator

05btdvw
Explorer
Explorer
mike/kellie wrote:
I know the mechanics of how to do the alignment having done this with our 5th wheel. I had a pantry door open up on the blind side of the dining slide and wedge against the frame. It threw if off (both door and alignment over an inch). Not sure how exposed or accessible the track and gear are on 2008 model.
We just joined the Host family last weekend. Drove our new Mammath home from Bend and camped along the way. We're very happy with our decision.

Trying not to derail the thread but congrats on the Host!

thejustin
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure what kind are on my 2008 but they are still working great. I have my camper off the truck at the moment, planning on at least one more trip before I winterize. I'll see if I can dig up my owners manuals and see what manufacturer my slide mechanisms are the next time I load up.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Congratulations on the new rig. As far as the slide mechanism goes, I'd give Host a call. My slides are still going strong.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I know the mechanics of how to do the alignment having done this with our 5th wheel. I had a pantry door open up on the blind side of the dining slide and wedge against the frame. It threw if off (both door and alignment over an inch). Not sure how exposed or accessible the track and gear are on 2008 model.
We just joined the Host family last weekend. Drove our new Mammath home from Bend and camped along the way. We're very happy with our decision.
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

Explorer1016
Explorer
Explorer
I am glad you guys like your Host Campers. I have basically the same unit as the Everest except mine is a little longer and placed on the Ford F550 Cab/Chassis unit. We really like the Host coach and it is idea for our type of camping.

My question to the Host owners here is, do any of you know what brand slide mechanism Host used on the 2008 series campers?

My curb side slide needs to be adjusted, it is not square in the frame. Has anyone dealt with this with their truck camper slides yet?

Thanks,
Dennis
2008 Host 300 Super 'C'
2008 Ford F-550 Chassis
Diesel
4x4
Lariat crew cab
20' enclosed car hauler/garage
'87 Jeep rock crawler
Turbo'd

thejustin
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at the Timbren SES and quick disconnect lower stable loads ( already have the uppers ). Any opinions on which would be better? Or should I just get them both??

Amazon has pretty good pricing. I can get both for around 450 shipped. I had an estimate from performance marine for 810 for an airbag setup and trailercraft quoted me 1800 installed. Not sure why such a huge disparity between the two but the timbrens and stableloads appear to be a bargain. If I can get a 2 or 3 inch reduction in rear sag from either or both I'd be happy.

spacedoutbob
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice, Congratulations! May you and your family, have many happy adventures with your new camper. I wish it was sitting on my truck.

Bob in Calif.
Good Sam Club Life Member

tad94564
Explorer
Explorer
thejustin wrote:

Just put in the 24" LCD a few minutes ago. Has a built in DVD player works great. I had this model in a 15" in the small bedroom shelf in my 5th wheel and liked it because it can play media (.avi/.mkv etc...) from SD memory cards so I can load up a bunch of TV shows on a 64 GB SDXC card and don't have to bring a stack of DVDs. Direct 12V plugin, no need to run the inverter. Ran a 32" Vizio in my Tahoe running off the 1000w inverter, but sadly that wouldn't swivel out to be viewable from the area due to lack of space in the Everest (width between the fridge and bathroom wall is too small). I think I have an extra VESA 100 mount laying around, may try to add another TV by the thermostat, I see alot of the newer hosts have one mounted here, though I think 2 TV's in a TC's might be overkill.

We have two in the mammoth - one smaller in the overhead, and one living area, and then a small Android TV box running XBMC for the videos/music.

Never thought we would need two, but it's nice to be able to pick where to watch a move on the TV on a dark, cold night..

thejustin
Explorer
Explorer
tad94564 wrote:
thejustin wrote:
tad94564 wrote:
Replacement CH571 locks

I just ordered a bunch of these for my Host Mammoth - they fit perfectly EXCEPT for the water door.

Now, I have one key for all the doors, and they also have in stock keys with LEDS!

Does your Mammoth have the black latch type locking mechanism? I'm going to go out later and see if I can somehow just get the ch751 lock out and replace with a different tubular cam lock.

Alas, no. The doors are insulated on the Mammoth, and therefor different. It came with the el-cheapo ch571's, and I really justed wanted one key for all of it (and yes, I know about the fact that a master key - a screwdriver - can open anything.)

True, if somebody wants in bad enough they will get in. It's just about deterring them enough so maybe they'll move on to the next camper. We had some problem with a young punk kid down at the Kenai River ferry campground going around to everyones RV's while they were across fishing and stealing stuff from their storage compartments by using his own CH751 key (we caught him and put the fear of god in him though ๐Ÿ™‚ ). Replacing those locks is generally the first thing I've done on all of my RV purchases.